Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 09:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Women and men do not even worship together IIRC?
Same deal in some Jewish sects. It includes seating at wedding receptions, swimming and mixed dancing.
Apostolic Christians do the same. Most organized religions are patriarchal in nature and do not allow women to be leaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 09:09 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Funny thing. I hear the same words coming out of the mouth of Islamists while suffocating women. Read speeches by the mullahs in Iran how hijab is there to “protect” women and how good Islam, and by extension, they themselves have been to women. I am sure if you dig deep in the ISIS literature you will read what Amin is spreading around here. Mr. Amin, how many women judges do you know in Islamic countries? You seem to have stats on everything else.
I am a woman, first of all. Second, I think you and people like yourself do a great disservice to the women of the Middle East who have fought so hard - so hard - for equality. I know no judges, but for that matter, I know no judges in the US where I live, either. I do know Arab female lawyers and bankers and programmers and pharmacists and doctors. I know women who own their own businesses and support their families with their earnings. I know teachers and photographers and journalists and a human rights activist. I am no ISIS sympathizer and I worry deeply about what will happen to all of the amazing people I know living in the Middle East if ISIS continues to spread its grasp. Have you seen a Syrian refugee? I have seen many, more than I can count, begging in the streets and it is absolutely heartbreaking. The narrative that some in the US are picking up - that they are all barbarians, that we should just bomb them all and start over - is dangerous and wrong.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:11 AM

500 posts, read 583,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
When even moderate Muslims called for the death of Salman Rushdie for his book Satanic Verses, it was a pivotal moment for many people around the World on how intolerant the Muslim Religion was and still is. Yusuf Islam(Cat Stevens) praised the fatwa and even went as far to say if he saw Rushdie, he'd ring someone to come and do more damage to him than he'd like. What other religion's followers will kill you for cartoons, drawings, books or defaming Mohammed verbally? Free speech isn't alive and well in the UK and Europe when their Leaders cower from the threat of retaliation, under the guise of "tolerance". There are 57 Muslim Countries around the World, why aren't they welcoming the Syrian refugees with open arms?
This event with the killing of 2 terrorists with the drawing of the prophet happened 3 miles from my home.

If people do not believe that terrorist are alive and well inside our borders, they have their heads in the sand!

There are training camps inside the United States for Islamic radicals. Some are in Texas. Why Texas? Well, I guess our Texan values of liberty, freedom and independence is coming back to bite us in the butt. Us Texans value our freedoms as well as our property rights. Just like Warren Jeffs took advantage of property rights in Texas and the vastness of West Texas, the islmaic radicals are as well. Our law enforcement officers can not enter these enclaves that are called "no go zones". There are a smattering of them around the country.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:12 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,943 times
When the President wants his muslim buddies to join him in America, who's going to stop it? All those who re-elected him to office share the blame for what he is deliberatley doing to ruin our nation. America is guilty of ignorance and apathy when it comes to Obama, and we are all paying the price. He'll do alot more damage before he leaves office.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:14 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Your personal anecdotes don't prove anything. You know that, right? According to your personal anecdotes, most Jordanian women are upper middle class.

I didn't make any claims based on personal experience. I simply stated statistics and facts. I've never been to Jordan (and have no intention of ever going).

Women in Jordan

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201...hapters/jordan

https://www.hrw.org/middle-east/n-africa/jordan
No, it doesn't prove anything, but neither does reading a website give you an accurate picture of what it is actually like to live in the Middle East.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:16 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let me help you out with this. It's Christian, not "Christain." I know, it's a pet peeve of mine, right up there with people who wax eloquently about "Isreal" and that devil named "Satin."

Carry on.
Satin is a slippery fellow...

Old 11-16-2015, 09:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I am a woman, first of all. Second, I think you and people like yourself do a great disservice to the women of the Middle East who have fought so hard - so hard - for equality. I know no judges, but for that matter, I know no judges in the US where I live, either. I do know Arab female lawyers and bankers and programmers and pharmacists and doctors. I know women who own their own businesses and support their families with their earnings. I know teachers and photographers and journalists and a human rights activist. I am no ISIS sympathizer and I worry deeply about what will happen to all of the amazing people I know living in the Middle East if ISIS continues to spread its grasp. Have you seen a Syrian refugee? I have seen many, more than I can count, begging in the streets and it is absolutely heartbreaking. The narrative that some in the US are picking up - that they are all barbarians, that we should just bomb them all and start over - is dangerous and wrong.
You apparently run in some "charmed circles" in Jordan, because as I stated before, only about 4 percent of property in Jordan is owned by women. It is a criminal offense in Jordan to criticize the king, government organizations, or Islam. Jordan has basically imprisoned all Syrian refugees into refugee camps along the Syrian border and they deny refugee Palestinians the right to move freely. Marriages between Muslim women and non Muslim men are not recognized. A non Muslim woman forfeits her right to custody of her children after they reach the age of seven. Perpetrators of torture are basically immune to the law. Police brutality is accepted and protected by the law.

Like I said, I'm underwhelmed by this "progressive mentality" of Jordan and its leaders.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201...hapters/jordan

11,027 posts, read 6,504,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So, let's encourage those societies that are starting to come out of the dark ages even if they have a ways to go instead of lumping them with the ones still far behind.
By all means I find it admirable to want to enlighten Muslims and bring them into the modern era. I question how one can do that however when women in Muslim countries can still be shot in the head for the crime of attending school, or stoned to death for being raped, and when even right here in America women are still fighting for equal pay and the right to control their own bodies.

5,162 posts, read 4,486,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Don't want to derail this thread, but this is my experience, as well.

I have NEVER met a Muslim woman in all my years of living in large, highly diverse northern cities (including Metro Detroit, which has one of the largest Muslim populations in the country) who fits this profile of the timid, oppressed, fearful female that we in the West like to cling to.

Muslim women, I have always found, are very confident, very opinionated, and very outspoken. They take NO crap. Don't let the hijabs or burkas fool you. That they CHOOSE to wear them in the West (yes, they DO choose to; they're not forced) is merely a visual manifestation of their fiercely strong spirits. That choice is an act of defiance of what THEY see as the more subtle oppression of women in the West, and in the US in particular, which undermines any female power with its obsessive focus on women's looks. Unlike Western women, who, they believe, tacitly consent to being judged by their body parts, Muslim women demand that they be viewed as whole beings.
Acid Attacks on Women Spread Terror in Iran - The Daily Beast

Here's How Iranian Women Are Protesting Forced Hijab

The Price of Modesty*|*Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Old 11-16-2015, 09:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Most Muslim women I know have advanced degrees. I don't think they see themselves that way.
Same here.

Most of the Muslim women I know are doctors and dentists. For them, Islam is a cultural thing, not too different than how most US people celebrate Christmas and Easter without any religious significance. It's a time of family gathering, celebration and food. Lots of food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events