Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 02:56 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You mean like these?

Not even that old...
Ranges - Cooking - The Home Depot

Plenty on the first page alone that have easy access to controls.
Point conceded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 03:02 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
"every human being"

Do you know what the definition of racist is? Seems like you don't. Impractical, maybe, but racist, no.

Yet again, we have the word "racist" being tossed around uselessly like a ball.
Here's the racist-sounding part (not saying it's intentional) from the post I was referring to: "Once a person/couple proves they are fit to be a parent and financially capable, only then would they be allowed to have children."

Not that I want to spend too much time on this hypothetical side issue, but that's clearly a disproportionate impact on minorities.

The definition of "racist" is broader than you think it is.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:43 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Here's the racist-sounding part (not saying it's intentional) from the post I was referring to: "Once a person/couple proves they are fit to be a parent and financially capable, only then would they be allowed to have children."

Not that I want to spend too much time on this hypothetical side issue, but that's clearly a disproportionate impact on minorities.

Only if you see it that way. I don't.

The definition of "racist" is not broader than I think it is. It is as follows: "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race; racial prejudice or discrimination" Racism | Definition of racism by Merriam-Webster

Old 11-24-2015, 04:07 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Have you ever met a stove? The controls are out of reach for a 36-inch 3 year old. They would have had to climb on something.
Not on my oven.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:50 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
This is evil in human form. How do 3 year olds get this sick this quickly?
I cannot read this whole thread, only comment.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:02 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:

Racism is determined by intent, not impact. A policy can be correct, moral, just and right even if it happens to have heavy impact on a particular population.

So, for example, if we see that prisons contain an inordinate amount of people who are low income, that does not make it wrong to keep incarcerating lots of low income people who have committed crimes. The income composition of prisons is IRRELEVANT, because the people there have committed crimes and need to be there.

The commission of crimes is the ONLY thing we need to know about prison populations. Is person 3233444A-99 incarcerated correctly? Did he or she commit a crime? Check? Good. Then the prison system is doing a good job, even if 100% of the inmates are low income.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:19 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
When I was two or three I ran away from my mother at Lord & Taylor's in Eastchester. I was able to push the panic button to stop the escalator; as a prank. I am told I had a big grin across my face.
Ugh..... My youngest son was a button pusher. Anything that had a button he thought it was meant to be pushed.

I notice most of these articles are only calling these 3 yr olds "children" and avoiding brothers. Plus, not saying much about the 5 yr old. I read one article, the "children" were in a corner of the room when parents arrived screaming, that the stove tipped over, not because their sister was inside.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:23 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,286,072 times
Man this is so sickening to even read.
Poor baby. Can't imagine how horrible he felt at the last moments.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
This is evil in human form. How do 3 year olds get this sick this quickly?
I cannot read this whole thread, only comment.
As I said earlier, maybe it is not sickness because maybe they don't understand the process, of when discomfort changes to pain and destruction.

For example, as a child of the 60's, I, we, were raised on people being tortured, but it was always about pain and discomfort and not about the real permanent damage. People staked out in the sun, we saw them get hot and sweaty, that's the discomfort we knew and that is, probably, what fed our "fiendish" desires.

What we didn't see was heat stroke, didn't "feel" the heat cramps, didn't see the brain destroyed for the victim, our heroes were always the same the next day or week. Or, say, if they had been flogged. We thought we knew what it was like because we had been spanked/whipped. We knew that quick pain, but like our heroes in TV/movies, we were fine the next day.

When we are unknowing of what actually happens to the body, we might conceive of actions that are actually quite harmful.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:09 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Mother, boyfriend charged in death of toddler burned in oven

Mother, boyfriend charged in death of toddler burned in oven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events