Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 03:25 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — A Denver-area store called Isis Books & Gifts wants the world to know its name comes from the Egyptian goddess of healing and motherhood and it isn't run by terrorists.

Co-owner Jeff Harrison said Wednesday that the suburban Denver shop has been vandalized five times in the past year or so, probably by people who mistake the name for ISIS, one of the acronyms for the Islamic State terrorist group.

Idiots Keep Vandalizing Bookstore That Has 'Isis' In The Name
That's not the dumbest thing I have seen.

The dog in Downton Abbey was called Isis. So they "killed" her off; got sick and died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 03:27 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
And they are Americans, supposedly the most wealthy and educated citizens of the world's sole superpower.....shockingly stupid.
I am no longer shocked at stupidity. I have been on City-Data for a long time.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:30 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
its probably best for the bookstore to do some re branding with a new name.
To accommodate a handful of morons?

No way.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:31 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
On the sign it is written as "ISIS BOOKS & GIFTS", so it is all in caps. Not sure how you distinguish ISIS from ISIS as one being an acronym.

Softcard, Verizon's version of Google Wallet, was originally called Isis mobile wallet. They changed the name last year to avoid any confusion. Yes, Isis is an Egyptian goddess, but now that it is also the acronym for a terrorist group, its probably best for the bookstore to do some re branding with a new name.
No. It would be better for the bookstore to remain as is and the terrorist group be eradicated.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have known at least two women named Isis. Do they have to change their names, too? Are there REALLY that many people who never heard of Isis?
That is not at all what I said.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Look, there's two sides here - vandals and an innocent business that is being systematically vandalized by idiots. It shouldn't be hard for decent people to decide which side is in the wrong, and to demand that the criminal vandalizers - and not the business that is the victim - be the ones to adjust their behavior. But sadly, this thread has a few people complaining that the victims of vandalism aren't doing enough to accommodate the moronic violent tendencies of the vandalizers...
I never once said the vandals were in the right. Of course they are dumb*****. I was responding to a post that said based on grammar, people should have known where the bookstore's name came from. The difference between ISIS and ISIS has zero to do with grammar.

I also never said the store should accommodate the vandals. They're not the ones that are customers. However, Isis isn't the best name for a business anymore. It would be no different then using a swastika in a US company logo. Sure its an ancient symbol used for thousands of years and is a sacred religious symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism, but in the Western world, since the 1930, it is seen as a symbol of hate. It would be great if the Egyptian goddess, Isis, wasn't now "associated" with a terrorist group. But she is, so having a store named after her is going to be bad for business. And not because all people are morons and can't distinguish ISIS from Isis (not talking about the vandals).

Old 11-21-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No. It would be better for the bookstore to remain as is and the terrorist group be eradicated.
Again, not at all what I said.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:08 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
On the sign it is written as "ISIS BOOKS & GIFTS", so it is all in caps. Not sure how you distinguish ISIS from ISIS as one being an acronym.

Softcard, Verizon's version of Google Wallet, was originally called Isis mobile wallet. They changed the name last year to avoid any confusion. Yes, Isis is an Egyptian goddess, but now that it is also the acronym for a terrorist group, its probably best for the bookstore to do some re branding with a new name.
ISIS is just ONE of the acronyms used for the Islamic terrorists. Their actual name is: al-Dawla al-Islamyia fil Iraq wa'al Sham. Some Europeans use ISIL. It has become common among Western leaders, among them President Obama, to use the term Da'esh. Many Arabs object to that name because spoken aloud it sounds like an Arabic word meaning "bigots," which I guess is the point in using it. Many people believe that to use any term implying that the terrorists represent an "Islamic State" is giving them a legitimacy they do not deserve.

Since the bookstore in question has been in business since the 1980s using the name of the Egyptian goddess Isis, it would be terrible to expect them to change their name to appease a bunch of stupid people who have a kneejerk reaction to everything they find fearful. I hope the police in Colorado are able to catch these vandals and charge them appropriately.

Here's an interesting article on the subject from the Boston Globe. I guess President Obama has taken this advice to heart since I haven't heard him say ISIS for several weeks now.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...MUP/story.html

Old 11-21-2015, 08:21 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times
Uneducated buffoons, protesting a business they would never even take a step into.....as that would mean that they actually would READ something.

I remember a kid's show when I was young that was named "The Secrets of Isis". Guess what? It had nothing to do with radical extremists either.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:26 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
We do love our ignorance here in America.
Makes me kind of SAD to be an American when I read these kinds of things....or even some of the ignorant things that grown men running for President are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events