Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 02:35 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Not the best branding. Calling your customers stupid is not going to generate sales.
Branding? The store has been around since 1980. When did ISIS come about? And they didn't call their customers stupid. Maybe read before you post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 02:58 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Not the best branding. Calling your customers stupid is not going to generate sales.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
You'd think the fact that 'ISIS' is an all-capped acronym and 'Isis' isn't would tip them off. But then, I doubt even the most basics elements of grammar are strong points with that crowd (but you can bet they're really big "English only!" types, even if they're largely clueless on how the English langauge actually works).
On the sign it is written as "ISIS BOOKS & GIFTS", so it is all in caps. Not sure how you distinguish ISIS from ISIS as one being an acronym.

Softcard, Verizon's version of Google Wallet, was originally called Isis mobile wallet. They changed the name last year to avoid any confusion. Yes, Isis is an Egyptian goddess, but now that it is also the acronym for a terrorist group, its probably best for the bookstore to do some re branding with a new name.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:05 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
On the sign it is written as "ISIS BOOKS & GIFTS", so it is all in caps. Not sure how you distinguish ISIS from ISIS as one being an acronym.

Softcard, Verizon's version of Google Wallet, was originally called Isis mobile wallet. They changed the name last year to avoid any confusion. Yes, Isis is an Egyptian goddess, but now that it is also the acronym for a terrorist group, its probably best for the bookstore to do some re branding with a new name.
I have known at least two women named Isis. Do they have to change their names, too? Are there REALLY that many people who never heard of Isis?

Old 11-21-2015, 03:11 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just when you think people can't possibly get any stupider...
And they are Americans, supposedly the most wealthy and educated citizens of the world's sole superpower.....shockingly stupid.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Isis is also the Egyptian goddess of fertility and motherhood. But I doubt those people even understand that. Most likely the store had that meaning in mind.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:14 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is what embarrasses me about us in this country. I for one have been so impressed with how the French have handled this...they have come together, not started attacking each other, survivors interviewed called for Peace....they did what they felt they had to in bombing Syria, but without all the stupid macho crotch-grabbing and hate fueled rage we display so often nowadays.
I am sure they did the same after Charlie Hebdo and you must have praised them for it. Some good did that do. I am not even sure what you are saying.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:14 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Branding? The store has been around since 1980. When did ISIS come about? And they didn't call their customers stupid. Maybe read before you post.
Yes, indeed. The customers who buy books most likely would not be so stupid, nor would they commit such a criminal act.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:21 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
I am sure they did the same after Charlie Hebdo and you must have praised them for it. Some good did that do. I am not even sure what you are saying.
I'm saying I admire them for refusing to let terrorists change who they are, change their values, lifestyle or principles. It didn't even happen to us yet we're ready to toss the entire Constitution out the door and every principle we supposedly stand for. We are more willing, it appears, to let savages turn us into savages ourselves, and I am sad for that.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:23 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

The same way they assumed that BOOK and GIFTS were not acronyms. Or, here's a thought - the name of the freakin' store is on a sign with a large Pharoanic image, which is [drumroll please]... an image of the deity Isis!

But like I previously noted, I expect no such minimal scrap of intelligence from the sorts of morons who throw bricks through windows because they're so brain-dead that they think Egyptian symbology actually means that the Islamic State has decided to compete with Barnes & Noble by opening a retail books & gifts outlet.

As an aside, did you ever consider the cost of replacing all their signage, all their forms, everything associated with their brand? Expensive and time-consuming and, gee, maybe this little independent shop doesn't have quite the cash reserves of Verizon?

Look, there's two sides here - vandals and an innocent business that is being systematically vandalized by idiots. It shouldn't be hard for decent people to decide which side is in the wrong, and to demand that the criminal vandalizers - and not the business that is the victim - be the ones to adjust their behavior. But sadly, this thread has a few people complaining that the victims of vandalism aren't doing enough to accommodate the moronic violent tendencies of the vandalizers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events