Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 01:28 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
That may be true, but apparently the "debunking" hasn't stopped the discussion.
You started the thread so I will ask you. What do you think about the study I posted where the rates nationwide were basically the same or higher than in Texas.

Quote:
Quote:
Information was gathered from 9493 patients at 95 facilities, and weights were constructed to make the data nationally representative of all US abortion patients. Only 1.2% of women obtaining abortions report having ever used misoprostol on their own to “bring back” their period or end a pregnancy. A similarly small proportion of women, 1.4%, reported using other substances, such as vitamin C or herbs, to attempt to end a pregnancy.
http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-93...008-2/abstract
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 01:45 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't really care how judgmental it is if it's true.

» Teen Pregnancies Highest In States With Abstinence-Only Policies

TX high school that teaches abstinence only sees chlaymdia outbreak https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-only-sex-ed/

TX has the 3rd highest teen pregnancy rate, higher than the national average, too. https://thenationalcampaign.org/data/compare/1678

5th highest in teen birth rate, again much higher than the national average. https://thenationalcampaign.org/data/compare/1701

81% of Texas sexually active teens used any form of contraception at the last time they had sex. Sounds decent, and it is, but compared to other states (like Montana, the highest at 92), it's the lowest out of 34 states which shared the information and have applicable info. Yet again lower (in this case not a good lower) than rhe national average. https://thenationalcampaign.org/data/compare/3112

I'm not making this up. I could not care less how judgmental you think I'm being. My point is not to be judgmental. It's to look at cause and effect. Perhaps your state should change in this regard. IMO abstinence should not be stressed because it's unrealistic. Teen pregnancy rates prove this. So do the numbers of kids who report having sex at least once or regularly, as the link with teen pregnancy rates also shows on another page. Fact is, 100%, not even 90 or 80 or even 70 or 60 in some states, of kids are NOT practicing abstinence like TX strongly suggests and recommends above all else (it's the "expected standard" https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/abstain/), so it's irrelevant. Abstinence should be taught as an option, sure, especially seeing as it's the only 100% guaranteed way to protect against everything, but birth control methods are what should be emphasized IMO because teens are going to have sex. They just are. IMO the majority of TX is doing it wrong. I think access to and education regarding birth control has a direct effect on abortion rate, personally. It's no secret the Southern states are the worst culprits when it comes to this education and teen pregnancy rate stuff. It's the more conservative and religious ideology. It is what it is.
Again...look at the source of the article. Their name says it all.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:52 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Actually, the standard for Texas IS abstinence. It's also the "expected" method for their students. For some reason, they aren't realistic and don't expect teens to have sex. I posted a link showing this. TX's size has nothing to do with it. All stats are properly aligned for the populations, and when a state has one standard, the districts won't differ form it drastically. I'm sure some districts are more progressive than others, but the state has a standard. And this is no secret. People know that certain states prefer abstinence education programs, and TX is one of them.

I don't why people keep trying to make excuses. The statistics are what they are. This isn't an attack on Texas, it's just pointing out facts and it is what it is. Some states have issues with birth control/abortion access and education. It is what it is, and statistics show this. Whatever the reasons, it's how it is.

The standard for TX may very well be abstinence but there is a HUGE difference between abstinence only education and abstinence plus education as the former only talks about contraception in terms of failure rates and the latter teaches comprehensive education regarding the reproductive system, how to use contraception, stds, etc. It's basically comprehensive sex ed that mentions abstinence as the healthiest choice. It's pretty on par with what you probably got for sex ed in NJ.

The rate of teen pregnancies have dropped among all races in all states but is still practically double for African Americans (highest rate) and Hispanics (second highest rate). There are many factors at play which include cultural factors (starting families a younger age 18-19 are included in the rate), family history (if your mom was a teen parent you are much more likely to be one too), poverty is a factor, religion, access to clinics, education are all factors.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:18 PM

590 posts, read 714,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, the law in Texas states that abstinence must be emphasized but that medically accurate contraceptive methods must be taught. That being said, when I was in school in Texas back in the Dark Ages, sex education didn't include contraception, but somehow I not only managed to be aware of various methods, including the pill, but to have access to them. This was in the mid-sixties.

However, the article points out that the problem is that not only does the law make it very difficult for low income women and girls to get access to abortion (average distance to an abortion facility is 111 miles now) but the facilities that closed are the same ones at which they were getting contraceptive advice and methods which made it LESS likely that they would need an abortion. Plus other women's health care, women's bodies not consisting entirely of a uterus.

You do realize, JerseyGirl415, don't you, that the entirety of your comment is just as judgmental of not only Texas, but women's sexuality, as any Texas Republican I've ever heard? Trust me, I live here, I can recognize the attitude a mile away.
RRIIIGGGHHHHTTT!.......... I bet that works as well as abstinence in 3rd world countries........

Old 11-25-2015, 02:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
In the vast majority of committed relationships women have this responsibility, this is reality.

If she lies about being on the pill is that properly informed consent?
We're not talking about properly informed consent, are we? We're talking about EACH person involved taking PERSONAL responsibility for their actions and any consequences that might occur as a result of those actions.

So it really shouldn't matter whether she lies or not. The responsibility is still the same for him.

Granted, way too many men want to avoid that fact of life, but it is, indeed, a fact of life whether you find it comfortable or not.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It is not.

Here's the Texas curriculum from the TEA site.

19 TAC Chapter 115. Subchapter C

A snippet:
-analyze the effectiveness and ineffectiveness of barrier protection and other contraceptive methods including the prevention of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs), keeping in mind the effectiveness of remaining abstinent until marriage;
This Texan disagrees:

Quote:
Actually, the law in Texas states that abstinence must be emphasized but that medically accurate contraceptive methods must be taught.
Abstinence is emphasized as the most important/effective/ideal. I have to wonder how much is taught overall. Birth control is taught, but again, it is no secret that there are states like Texas which prefer abstinence programs. There are statistics on this as well. I'm not saying there's no teaching of birth control. I'm saying the emphasis is on abstinence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Again...look at the source of the article. Their name says it all.
So you think statistics lie? The article provided statistics supported by the statistics I posted. Same stats. Or if a different year, very similar. But not wrong. The articles weren't pulling info from nowhere; nothing that I shared was made up. Trying to discredit the source is a nice deflection and distraction, though.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Actually, the standard for Texas IS abstinence. It's also the "expected" method for their students. For some reason, they aren't realistic and don't expect teens to have sex. I posted a link showing this. TX's size has nothing to do with it. All stats are properly aligned for the populations, and when a state has one standard, the districts won't differ form it drastically. I'm sure some districts are more progressive than others, but the state has a standard. And this is no secret. People know that certain states prefer abstinence education programs, and TX is one of them.

I don't why people keep trying to make excuses. The statistics are what they are. This isn't an attack on Texas, it's just pointing out facts and it is what it is. Some states have issues with birth control/abortion access and education. It is what it is, and statistics show this. Whatever the reasons, it's how it is.
JerseyGirl, how long have you lived in Texas? How many children have you raised in Texas? How long did you attend high school in Texas?

You make these proclamations about Texas as if they were gospel, so I'd like to know what your real, live, on the ground experience (not academics, which aren't always what they're cracked up to be - I know, I used to work in academia with the people trying to write those studies and create unbiased questions - harder than you'd think, even when running it past your peers for bias because, guess what, they share the same biases you have! And that's even before you add politics, well-known for its absolute honesty and lack of any tendency to spin, into the mix).

As for statistics? Mark Twain once misattributed to Disraeli a profound truth: "Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review

Old 11-25-2015, 02:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
JerseyGirl, how long have you lived in Texas? How many children have you raised in Texas? How long did you attend high school in Texas?

You make these proclamations about Texas as if they were gospel, so I'd like to know what your real, live, on the ground experience (not academics, which aren't always what they're cracked up to be - I know, I used to work in academia with the people trying to write those studies and create unbiased questions - harder than you'd think, even when running it past your peers for bias because, guess what, they share the same biases you have! And that's even before you add politics, well-known for its absolute honesty and lack of any tendency to spin, into the mix).

As for statistics? Mark Twain once misattributed to Disraeli a profound truth: "Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review
Sure. I'm wrong. Ok.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Sure. I'm wrong. Ok.
Why do you spend your time bashing the state and its schools for something the parents clearly aren't doing ? You hold parents blameless here ?

It's not the state nor the school's job although schools have taken this up to educate the youth.
Schools present the information. They can't do much more.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Sure. I'm wrong. Ok.
And there's the loud clang of the metal door of a brain shutting.

I'm pointing out that this is a much more complex issue than your simple statistics, that can be manipulated, frankly, to prove whatever you want it to prove (see the study linked to at the top of this thread, for example), AND that deny it however much you will, your prejudice against Texas (still waiting for an answer to your personal experience here, by the way) is obvious. (Not as subtle as perhaps you thought it was, or perhaps you're completely unaware of it - people holding prejudices very often are.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events