Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 10:00 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times

Advertisements

" Back to the Alley? Texas Women Self Aborting Pregnancies. "

No, it's not back to anything. Women in the valley and a few other areas tend to self abort. That's the way it's always been, it's a cultural thing. The numbers are greater because that segment of the population has exploded in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 10:01 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Two things wrong here. 1) UT "estimates" that 100K have tried this and 2) There's no long term study in TX that studies how many women tried self abortion over say the past decade as compared to today.

Sounds like another agenda piece if you ask me.
And also this from the article. Can you statistically extrapolate from 1.7%? Seems like too small of a percent to be reliable in a small sample. But it was 30 years ago I took a statistics course.

"The figure was found by asking an online, representative sample of 779 women whether they themselves or whether their best friends had ever tried to self-induce an abortion. Of the Texas women surveyed, 1.7 percent said they had performed an abortion on themselves, but 4.1 percent of them said their best friend had or they suspected she had."

Old 11-25-2015, 10:16 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
According to a nationwide study in 2008 about that same % tried to self induce abortion. Depending upon how you read it may have been 1.2 plus 1.4 that had tried. So it would appear this recent study is just self serving and not factual.
All this study shows is that people in Texas do on occasion try to self induce and people in the US before this law also tried to self induce at an equal or maybe even higher rate.
I am guessing the person who the new study didn't bother to see what the rate was previously and/or elsewhere or they did and did not like the results.

Quote:
Information was gathered from 9493 patients at 95 facilities, and weights were constructed to make the data nationally representative of all US abortion patients. Only 1.2% of women obtaining abortions report having ever used misoprostol on their own to “bring back” their period or end a pregnancy. A similarly small proportion of women, 1.4%, reported using other substances, such as vitamin C or herbs, to attempt to end a pregnancy.
http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-93...008-2/abstract

Last edited by Eeyore1954; 11-25-2015 at 10:48 AM..

Old 11-25-2015, 10:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
lmao..It's NEVER the woman's fault. Does every woman get raped or do they have a say in how it goes down? You are aware that the woman has the final say unless it's rape right? Your radical feminism is showing.
Which goes to show you don't know me at all. Yes, I'm a radical feminist in the sense that a lot of feminists consider me radical for thinking that it's supposed to be about choice, and BOTH women and men having choices rather than women having the freedom to be just like men (not a good idea, in my opinion, because it devalues what has traditionally been the women's sphere rather than valuing both equally, thus displaying a sort of veiled misogynism of its own).

Didn't say it was never the woman's fault. Did say that a man who places it all at the woman's feet is thinking misogynistically and/or is behaving like a little boy who isn't taking responsibility for the consequences of his own actions.

You do know that a man can say no, too, don't you? Or even take responsibility for birth control no matter WHAT the woman says?

Old 11-25-2015, 10:25 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,412,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Which goes to show you don't know me at all. Yes, I'm a radical feminist in the sense that a lot of feminists consider me radical for thinking that it's supposed to be about choice, and BOTH women and men having choices rather than women having the freedom to be just like men (not a good idea, in my opinion, because it devalues what has traditionally been the women's sphere rather than valuing both equally, thus displaying a sort of veiled misogynism of its own).

Didn't say it was never the woman's fault. Did say that a man who places it all at the woman's feet is thinking misogynistically and/or is behaving like a little boy who isn't taking responsibility for the consequences of his own actions.

You do know that a man can say no, too, don't you? Or even take responsibility for birth control no matter WHAT the woman says?
The woman has the control of contraception in almost all relationships due to current technology. That will change with a male pill but not until then. Yes the obligation is on the women.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:31 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
In other news, studies have shown that 100% of women whose men kept it in their pants did not have to worry about ending an unintended pregnancy. This rate has been shown to remain constant regardless of the man's race, economic status, religious observance, political affiliation, or state of residence.

Your misogyny is showing, in other words. You might want to have that looked into.
I agree with you 100%. Why would you assume otherwise?

The topic of this thread was about the choices that women make, so I addressed my response to that. I think it's a pretty big leap to assume that "not saying something that wasn't really on-topic to begin with" = "misogyny."

Old 11-25-2015, 10:44 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,749,660 times
Quote:
In other news, studies have shown that 100% of women whose men kept it in their pants did not have to worry about ending an unintended pregnancy. This rate has been shown to remain constant regardless of the man's race, economic status, religious observance, political affiliation, or state of residence.

Your misogyny is showing, in other words. You might want to have that looked into.
Unless, of course, she cheated on her tightly zipped partner because she "wasn't getting any at home".

Old 11-25-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
The woman has the control of contraception in almost all relationships due to current technology. That will change with a male pill but not until then. Yes the obligation is on the women.
Nope. Yes, there is the pill. There are also other alternatives, including some old-fashioned ones that men have sole control over. Just because a woman says she's on the pill doesn't absolve the man of all responsibility for the potential consequences of his actions, even if "it just doesn't feel as good". Something every young man should be taught at a very early age.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:01 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Nope. Yes, there is the pill. There are also other alternatives, including some old-fashioned ones that men have sole control over. Just because a woman says she's on the pill doesn't absolve the man of all responsibility for the potential consequences of his actions, even if "it just doesn't feel as good". Something every young man should be taught at a very early age.
Not to mention the risk of STDs for a man relying just on the pill. IMHO a man should aways wear a condom when having sex, no matter what the woman says. Even is she DOES diligently and responsibly use a birth control method, whatever it may be, STDs are still an issue, not just pregnancy.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Unless, of course, she cheated on her tightly zipped partner because she "wasn't getting any at home".
Ah, but if all, or even most, men had the concept that they are equally responsible, that would be harder to do, now, wouldn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events