Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:00 AM

15,849 posts, read 20,680,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I own guns but don't carry. My biggest concern about this is if someone does start firing a gun in the mall and the law abiding citizen fires back, the third person with a gun hopefully will know who is the bad guy and who is the good guy before he fires his gun.
I've often thought about that as well. If i'm at a mall and two people are shooting at each other, how do you know which is a "good guy" and which is a "bad guy"

Might be easy if someone is holding an AK and plate carrier or suicide vest on, but what if it's two similarly dressed guys with pistols. You'd have a split second to analyze the chaos and determine who is an enemy and who is not.

Plus, if i'm at the mall, i'm prob with the kids and G/F. If gunshots break out, my first thought would be to get them to safety, not go play Jack Bauer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:11 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,642,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
We don't need a permit to carry concealed in AZ.

FYI.....
Nope! Home of the free. A terrorist would last about 2 min. tops in our mall. It just gets hard to know who the one is with the gun that is bad and who all the people with guns are that are good. lol We have so many.

When I'm grocery shopping I see at least 4 or 5 holsters. I know there are many more concealed. If a terrorist ran in it would be a war in an instant.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,402,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
I agree Sheriff Joe is an idiot but disagree on the rest.

All able bodied men are part of the militia for a reason and sheriffs particularly in low population density states do have the authority to deputize.
All able bodied men are part of the militia in the case of a foreign invasion. In peacetime, all able bodied men are not inherently part of posses, roaming security patrols, vigilance committees etc. . The core danger is that these groups have a long habit of becoming everything they claim to be against.

I do agree with your statement that a Sherriff can lawfully call for a posse. This call, however, should be restricted to bonafide emergencies. Sherriff Joe is not doing that.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,714,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So if it is a posse, does this mean they are deputized?

If so, it does put things in a slightly different light than just having people with guns on site.
Yes, just like Robert Bates in Oklahoma, he was deputized. Shot and killed a suspect when he reached for his gun instead of his taser. Chalked it up to a "whoopsie".

I'm sure they will go to the Barney Fife Deputy school for two days and be good to go.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:16 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,427,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've often thought about that as well. If i'm at a mall and two people are shooting at each other, how do you know which is a "good guy" and which is a "bad guy"

Might be easy if someone is holding an AK and plate carrier or suicide vest on, but what if it's two similarly dressed guys with pistols. You'd have a split second to analyze the chaos and determine who is an enemy and who is not.

Plus, if i'm at the mall, i'm prob with the kids and G/F. If gunshots break out, my first thought would be to get them to safety, not go play Jack Bauer.
I dont carry to save your behind. I carry to keep myself and my family safe, if we are not in immediate danger we are running. You will find this thought process is not unusual.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:18 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,967,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
LOL - Gotta love Sheriff Joe! He's asking ccw holders in AZ to help patrol malls this holiday season.

If you see something, shoot something!

Alwrite! Lemme get my AR15!

KOLD
Please point out anywhere in the article that states anything remotely close to what you are saying.

These are fully trained volunteer police officers in a uniform. Nowhere does it even mention CCW holders. If anyone can prove me wrong, I will give them $20.

Here is the article, please read it before commenting. Jamies is trying to make an outrageous claim that doesn't exist.

PHOENIX (KPHO/KTVK) - It’s a holiday tradition in the Valley. Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s all-volunteer posse will begin protecting shoppers at malls beginning on Monday.
Arpaio began sending posse members to malls to provide protection in 1993. This year’s kickoff will take place at 4 p.m. at Paradise Valley Mall, located at 4568 E. Cactus Rd.
Originally done to combat a series of violent carjackings, the department said this season will present extra challenges due to worldwide terror alerts and violent attacks.
“We have to understand and deal with these threats as an entire community in order to best safeguard the public. The first line of defense is law enforcement, and that includes the posse, which has proved itself again and again a most valuable and successful resource though the years,” Arpaio wrote in a release.
The department said that since the inception of the mall patrol, virtually no acts of violence have occurred in Valley malls on the posse’s watch.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:22 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,284,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Sheriff Joe should be more concerned with who is going to wipe his a__ next week, karma says its going to be an illegal alien............
How about an update?

Old 12-01-2015, 09:26 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,284,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Excellent point, I always wondered when the wacko in the movie theater starts shooting does he/she hold up a sign so we know which guy with the gun is the bad guy?

I know if I see two guys shooting at each other I have no idea who the bad guy is. They didn't teach me that in CCW class.

Program Program you can't tell who the fighters and haters are unless you get a Program!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:26 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,704,450 times
The police need all the help possible. People on drugs will do crazy insane things for little gain. Their actions defies logic. The drug problem is in every community in America.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:27 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,693,643 times
Quote:
Sheriff Arpaio says there hasn't been a violent incident since his posse began patrolling at the holidays 22 years ago. This year, MCSO will have a minimum of 2 posse members plus at least 1 sworn deputy at each mall with increased security on the weekends.
MCSO's volunteer posse patrolling malls - Story | KSAZ

This has successfully been going on for 22 years. Nary an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Why do malls need patrolling?

Do they have out of control families or something? Teenagers stealing from the food court?

Ridiculous.
Most metropolitan areas have issues in their malls. I've seen it. In fact, I watched a fight start to break out in the common area of the mall. I asked the clerk in one of the stores to call security and instead of doing that, he grinned and went out to watch.

It was scary. There had been several mob fights in the mall prior to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Let's give the general public free reign to shoot anyone if they see something they don't like. What could possibly go wrong.

What is this, a Clint Eastwood old western movie?
See the top quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events