Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:34 PM

51,040 posts, read 24,537,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Leave white bread Colorado Springs for awhile, tell me if the same holds true in Detroit/Chicago/NYC/LA/Baltimore/DC...etc.
I lived in D.C. metro for over 20 years. First in suburban Maryland, then in suburban Virginia. All of the people who I personally knew who were on welfare were poor, uneducated Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 07:12 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,453,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I lived in D.C. metro for over 20 years. First in suburban Maryland, then in suburban Virginia. All of the people who I personally knew who were on welfare were poor, uneducated Republicans.
Yeah ... all both of them.

El Nox

Old 12-20-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Yeah ... all both of them.

El Nox
It’s Official: White Folks in Red States are the Biggest Food Stamp ‘Moochers’ in the Country! | Americans Against the Tea Party

Old 12-20-2015, 08:25 PM

384 posts, read 597,230 times
I realize that you spend your life confusing opinions with facts but as a percentage of each population, apples to apples as they say, whites collect Welfare at a rate significantly less than Blacks or Hispanics.

This is not an opinion or a judgement of mine, just a fact that a very simple Google search will reveal.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
I realize that you spend your life confusing opinions with facts but as a percentage of each population, apples to apples as they say, whites collect Welfare at a rate significantly less than Blacks or Hispanics.

This is not an opinion or a judgement of mine, just a fact that a very simple Google search will reveal.
Actually, I agree with you, but some of our posters think that virtually all welfare recipients are Blacks. And it's just not true. From 1968-1972 I worked my way through college working in a grocery store in an all-white town. There were still PLENTY of foot stamp recipients.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:39 PM

989 posts, read 1,880,827 times
It's as if some of these college campuses today in the US are doing a re-enactment of the Cultural Revolution that took place in China during the 1960s.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:07 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,490,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post

Bingo!

So yes, fun with statistics to make them fit an agenda. I guess it fools some people.

Quote:
Actually, I agree with you, but some of our posters think that virtually all welfare recipients are Blacks. And it's just not true. From 1968-1972 I worked my way through college working in a grocery store in an all-white town. There were still PLENTY of foot stamp recipients.
Unfortunately various forms of welfare are becoming a way of life for many, regardless of one's race.

Last edited by stevek64; 12-20-2015 at 11:16 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 12:40 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,283,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oberlin is a private residential college enrolling just 2,900 students. Because students live on campus in dorms, they cannot just opt out of the meal plan. The acceptability of the meals offered is a legitimate issue, and it is in the best interests of the college to address any student concerns.
It's not about the quality of food, it's about how it isn't culturally correct…for the whiners.

Quote:

The complaints [at Oberlin]began after Diep Nguyen, a freshman from Vietnam, told the Oberlin Review how disappointed she was to find that campus dining’s idea of a Banh Mi Vietnamese sandwich was actually just a sandwich. She couldn’t believe that the dining services, Bon Apétit could serve “something completely different and label it as another country’s traditional food.”

The Review called the meal a “blurring of the line between culinary diversity and cultural appropriation.”

A sophomore from China, Prudence Hiu-Ying was particularly horrified by Bon Apétit’s attempt at General Tso’s chicken. She claimed the dish appeared to be steamed instead of fried and didn’t use a ginger-garlic soy sauce.

Because when you’re eating General Tso’s chicken, you’re very concerned wit the authenticity of the dish.

Students took the most issue with their dining hall’s sushi bar. Tomoyo Joshi, a junior from Japan, said that the poor quality of the fish and the badly cooked rice was “disrespectful.”
So what? Do they want the cost of their meal plans to go up so the school can hire Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, etc., chefs for the "authentic, tastes like home" experience? If they want mamma's cooking, fly home to get it…or go out to eat at a 5 star sushi bar, etc., in town…or just SHUT UP about the "inauthenticity" of it all.

Quote:
Students at an ultra-liberal Ohio college are in an uproar over the fried chicken, sushi and Vietnamese sandwiches served in the school cafeterias, complaining the dishes are “insensitive” and “culturally inappropriate.”” Apparently, it is an almost killing offense against cultural sensitivity at Oberlin College to serve General Tso’s chicken with steamed chicken, banh mi sandwiches on ciabatta bread, and under-cook the sushi rice. And then there was this exercise in cognitive dissonance by Oberlin’s Black Student Union: they protested earlier this month because “[t]he cafeteria there wasn’t serving enough vegan and vegetarian options and had failed to make fried chicken a permanent feature on the Sunday night menu”.
Eat a salad.

Is fried chicken on Sunday night a cultural thing?

Oberlin Students: Cafeteria Food Is Cultural Appropration

Last edited by Informed Info; 12-21-2015 at 01:09 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 04:54 AM

743 posts, read 768,768 times
Quote:
So you get outraged over their outrages.

Sorta makes ya cut from the same cloth.
I'm not outraged at all. I think it's funny.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:10 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,412,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
It's not about the quality of food, it's about how it isn't culturally correct…for the whiners.

So what? Do they want the cost of their meal plans to go up so the school can hire Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, etc., chefs for the "authentic, tastes like home" experience? If they want mamma's cooking, fly home to get it…or go out to eat at a 5 star sushi bar, etc., in town…or just SHUT UP about the "inauthenticity" of it all.

Eat a salad.

Is fried chicken on Sunday night a cultural thing?

Oberlin Students: Cafeteria Food Is Cultural Appropration
The source you've cited is a fashion blog written for college girls, which explains why the writing is peppered with superlatives. Come back when you've located legitimate journalism. I can't take this seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events