Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:59 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,483,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I'm surprised any college student has time to study these days. They spend so much time looking for microaggressions to be offended by, protesting those microaggressions, and now whining about school cafeteria food. Think about it. They are complaining about school cafeteria food. The stuff that is only one step above hospital food, is somehow racist and upsetting students. The students complained that the school wasn't offering enough "ethnic" food and then complained that what was offered wasn't authentic enough and therefore racist cultural appropriation.

Does this mean I have to throw out my French, Italian, japanese, arabic, and German cookbooks since I'm an American living in America? I wouldn't want anyone to get butthurt by my attempt to appropriate their culture from my kitchen.
Yeah, it's all silly to say the least. One of these days I'm waiting for the burst of laughter to pop out at the end and the chronic complainers will yell "April Fools.....we can't believe you people took our joke so seriously.....suckers!". But I don't think that's how it's going to play out. This type of mentality is real. I especially pity the spouse who marries one of these chronic whiners of trivial matters. Or the boss who has to supervise one of them. Yikes!

Me me me me me.......me me me me me......me me me me me.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 12:19 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,253,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
I have news for them - there's nothing remotely "authentic Chinese" about General Tso's chicken. Dopes.
General Tso's chicken is as American as apple pie!

Old 12-20-2015, 12:27 AM

16,404 posts, read 30,335,313 times
Folks, you are talking about Oberlin College! This is par for a college that has featured a protest on almost a daily basis for the past 45 years.

Let me give you an example. In the late 90s, I was in Oberlin and they were protesting that the college was not giving a 5% raise to their housekeeping and cafeteria employees who were represented by the UAW. After the threat of a strike, the college board of trustees caved in to the union demands.

The following weekend, the college announced that they would be raising tuition 4% the following year. Again, there is another protest over the high cost of tuition, room and board ...

It was one of the things that made it entertaining to live in Oberlin, OH. My wife and I liked to walk through the town square holding hands just to see the disapproving looks.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:38 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,242,166 times
They're practicing their radical activist skills. That's all. Certain classes actually give grades for this sort of stuff. It could be a class project.

Universities and colleges have degree programs that train people to be revolutionaries through certain disciplines and degree programs. What good is somebody like Angela Davis doing at Berkeley if she can't pass the wisdom along. It's going on right under the noses of the parents who pay the tuitions.... and most Americans. These aren't jobs that really apply to the real world. They apply for people who want to be "community organizers" and professional activists.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:29 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,287,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
I have news for them - there's nothing remotely "authentic Chinese" about General Tso's chicken. Dopes.
Bingo

Old 12-20-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It would help if those who wish to make an example or reference to someone else being dumb knew how to spell their reference properly....
Get off your high horse. This is c-d, not MIT.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you get outraged over their outrages.

Sorta makes ya cut from the same cloth.
Just like a liberal; silence the opposition.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Vote Republican? Dream on.

Oberlin is one of the finest colleges in the country. Why does everything that happened at colleges and universities P people off so much?

These are essentially non-issues. Who care what the best and brightest among us are doing?
Let's be glad that -

They are not breaking into church bible studies and mowing people down.

They aren't out getting pregnant, killing their children - or letting their boyfriend beat them, neglecting to use birth control, and ...

They are not selling their lives to reality shows.

Let's put it this way, they aren't Bristol Palin.
See above post

Old 12-20-2015, 04:51 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,688,804 times
Maybe they need to spend more time studying instead of wasting their parent's money with nonsense.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:32 AM

335 posts, read 325,881 times
I bet these kids are the same ones that the parents let run amok in restaurants ruining other diners meals while the parents sat idle years back. They learned this behavior someplace. If you ask me, it all starts in the home and escalates from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events