Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 06:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times

Advertisements

I hate this story b/c it puts Jews in a negative light. Why didn't she just keep her daughter home? it's elementary school, what's the big deal if they go see Santa? Scrooge!

I grew up in Israel and we took a class trip to a Church once. No one protested. It was very interesting.

I love this time of year.

ETA if she thinks her daughter felt excluded b/c of Christmas, I am sure she'll be the most popular girl in school now. smh!

Old 12-21-2015, 06:09 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

You just don't get it.

That doesn't really matter. The reality is that Santa is a symbol of Christmas, therefore, of Christianity. Most Jewish kids do not celebrate Christmas, even secularly.
i get it just fine thankyouverymuch. i don't believe this kid was being discriminated against. i'm pretty sure i am not the only one who feels that way. just because you believe what you believe doesn't make you right and everyone else wrong. i always try to state that i am giving my own opinion, because i recognize that people have different beliefs, opinions and ideas. i try to not profess to know more than anyone else or that i am right and they are wrong. or that someone else "just doesn't get it" simply because i disagree with them.

to me it does matter because to me and to many people, santa does not have anything to do with religion. did it start out that way? i guess it did. but things change, as people like to point out. just because something had been a certain way for a long time doesn't mean that it has to continue exactly that same way for ever and always and to everyone on earth. i think someone said something to that effect earlier in this thread who has an opposing opinion to mine.

santa is not a religious symbol to a lot of people. whether he was initially intended to be that way or not. it's just a fact. just because some people associate him with religion does not mean that everyone does. are elves also religious symbols? they are associated with christmas as well. how about rudolph the red nosed reindeer? also associated with christmas.

Last edited by beachie123; 12-21-2015 at 06:25 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I can't be the only person reading this thread who's dying to know the answer to this question!
actually you're not! haha! and i didn't care enough to google it. but i am anticipating to hear the answer!

Old 12-21-2015, 06:23 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Field trips never ever take an hour or two.

There are so many other cool things they could do, that would include everyone, be interesting, fun and informative, instead of going to see the dude that's going to be coming down their chimney anyway and that's plastered all over Dodge already.
This was a walking field trip to a local café that arranges for a Santa.

Seeing Santa isn't a great learning experience. Then again, for Kindergarteners, writing [letters to Santa], walking, staying in line, waiting their turn, isn't too far from what they do anyway.

Sure, they could go to a firehouse, a zoo, a museum, a mosque, and maybe they do on other trips. But the little time this trip takes is hardly a devastating blow to their academic futures.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I hate this story b/c it puts Jews in a negative light. Why didn't she just keep her daughter home? it's elementary school, what's the big deal if they go see Santa? Scrooge!

I grew up in Israel and we took a class trip to a Church once. No one protested. It was very interesting.

I love this time of year.

ETA if she thinks her daughter felt excluded b/c of Christmas, I am sure she'll be the most popular girl in school now. smh!
i dated a jewish guy off and on for years. i am currently dating a jewish guy. although i say he is jewish lite. they both have the attitude that yay christmas! because yummy foods, parties, festive atmospheres and pretty lights everywhere.

embrace it people! soon it will be january and we'll be back to regular old boring life. until valentine's day when we have to deal with that pesky cupid dude trying to make people fall in love and all...and then the anti-valentine's day posts will start.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:27 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
i dated a jewish guy off and on for years. i am currently dating a jewish guy. although i say he is jewish lite. they both have the attitude that yay christmas! because yummy foods, parties, festive atmospheres and pretty lights everywhere.

embrace it people! soon it will be january and we'll be back to regular old boring life. until valentine's day when we have to deal with that pesky cupid dude trying to make people fall in love and all...and then the anti-valentine's day posts will start.
Amen!

Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
No, I explicitly said PE class should remain. Unlike competitive sports teams, which only serve a fraction of the student body, ALL students participate in PE class, and when properly run it IS educational. (Unfortunately it's all too often NOT properly run, and leaves many students with a long-term aversion to physical activity - but that's a problem with how PE is being implemented, not with the fundamental concept of the class.)
While I generally don't agree with you about eliminating team sports in schools, you have noted one of the stronger points regarding how few students those sports impact.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Do you believe school is a vital social setting or should be run like a prison, head down at all times and learn!!!!
And you present the other side with a valid point. The question is what is the tipping point?

Old 12-21-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Sports lends itself to teamwork and leadership. You don't think that is vital to being a success in the workforce?
Good and important point.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
No, school should not be run like a prison, but socialization is NOT its primary purpose. Education is. Students have plenty of time after school hours and on the weekends for various socialization activities.
Now I disagree with you, and here's why.

Our school's business partner was one of the so-called "Beltway bandits", one of the huge international consulting companies that do a lot of government work (although not exclusively). On one of the workdays before the opening of school one year, our faculty spent the day there, in part to learn about really new technology, but also to have discussions with the leadership of the company. In a large-group setting, the first question asked was, "What do you look for when you hire employees, especially those fresh out of school?" The answer: "We look for people who can work in an interactive team. No one works at a solitary desk in our company."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events