Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 02:17 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Parents at a California elementary school took their kids out of class after their annual trip to visit Santa Claus was canceled following a complaint from a Jewish mom.

About 30 students were taken to see St. Nick by their parents who were furious that the Sartorette Elementary School in San Jose canceled their trip.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...m_content=link
No reason visiting Santa should be a school trip, that's always been something kids do with parents. The protesting parents should have been doing it to begin with.

On the other hand, the American Santa Claus is so far removed from Saint Nicolas or anything Christian that to object on religious ground seems downright bizarre. Aside from credit card companies and department store owners, are there really any Santa worshippers?

Old 12-23-2015, 02:20 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Which tree are we talking about? The one in the public area of the White House, or the one in the family quarters?

The one in the family quarters (should the president and his family elect to have one) should be paid for by the President's family. The one in the public area - I've already said it shouldn't be there to begin with.
But it IS there....because you say it shouldn't doesn't change the fact that it is....so we let that happen (which I personally think is great)....LET THE KIDS SEE SANTA!!!!

Old 12-23-2015, 02:23 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
The school board, not the Jewish parent, made the decision. (No doubt with vision of a possible ACLU lawsuit dancing in their heads.)

Sorry, religious liberty isn't subject to majority vote. The other 500 parents were still perfectly free to take their kids to see Santa. The visit just wouldn't be during a public school field trip.
Oh good lord. They made the decision because of one persons complaint. They did not open discussion, views, ideas up to the parents, teachers, or community which should be protocol if there is an issue with a standing tradition or any school activity or rule.

This has nothing to do with religious liberty.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:28 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
But it IS there....because you say it shouldn't doesn't change the fact that it is....so we let that happen (which I personally think is great)
And that's the problem: you think that the fact that for most of US history the Establishment Clause was blatantly ignored is just fine, because it is YOUR religion that was the one being tacitly favored.

Will you be as happy when the day comes when some other religion has become the majority in this country, and you have to see YOUR tax dollars going to support symbols of that faith being erected all over government property while there's nary a Christian symbol to be seen, and when YOUR kid has to miss out on a field trip YOUR tax dollars are paying for because the trip involves religious activities you don't support?

I doubt it, but sauce for the goose...

Quote:
....LET THE KIDS SEE SANTA!!!!
They can see Santa on their own time, after school or on weekends.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:32 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Oh good lord. They made the decision because of one persons complaint. They did not open discussion, views, ideas up to the parents, teachers, or community which should be protocol if there is an issue with a standing tradition or any school activity or rule.

This has nothing to do with religious liberty.
The ACLU would disagree with you on that. As has been explained to you many times in this thread, religious Jews see Santa as a symbol of a Christian religious holiday and they do not allow their children to participate in non-Jewish religious holiday customs. The reason the school board backed down so quickly is that they knew that if a lawsuit WAS filed, they'd be on the losing end of it.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Who paid for the tree Kat? You are telling me that POTUS paid for the tree, paid for the transport of the tree, paid for it to be set up and paid for it to be decorated out of his personal checking account?....I may have been born during the day, it wasn't yesterday
Private donors:
"Getting the US Capitol Christmas Tree from the Snow River floodplain to the west lawn of the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. costs the taxpayers very little. About 52 sponsors nationally, including some locally, have once again donated the wherewithal to transport an evergreen behemoth cross-country in one piece with celebratory stops along the way. The story starts with a forester and culminates in a national tradition."
http://sewardcitynews.com/2015/10/pr...s-tree-to-d-c/

Here's some more info: USDA Blog » U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree, a Gift from the People, Headed Toward Washington, D.C.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:38 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Now you are going to deny that one of your arguments was that religious decorations shouldn't be displayed in public schools, such as Santa (who you claim is religious) or any Government property? "Constitution prohibits it....blah, blah,blah"........WHITE HOUSE CHRISTMAS TREE..........don't trip over your feet back tracking there Emm
As was explained to you a few times already, the Constitution prohibits the Government showing favoritism to any one religion. While I'd prefer that they didn't have any public religious displays in the White House, at least they are trying to strike a balance by acknowledging all major religions. As opposed to what that school did.

I am sure that the mother of that Jewish girl wouldn't complain if the school spent a day lighting the Menorah, another day doing something Buddhist, and then having that Santa trip. Although I personally think this is not how the taxpayer's money should be used. Instead, the school spent five days - a whole week - concentrating on Christmas (writing letters to Santa, dressing up like reindeers, all culminating in a trip to sit on St Nick's laps). A lot of people are able to see the difference.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
And that's the problem: you think that the fact that for most of US history the Establishment Clause was blatantly ignored is just fine, because it is YOUR religion that was the one being tacitly favored.

Will you be as happy when the day comes when some other religion has become the majority in this country, and you have to see YOUR tax dollars going to support symbols of that faith being erected all over government property while there's nary a Christian symbol to be seen, and when YOUR kid has to miss out on a field trip YOUR tax dollars are paying for because the trip involves religious activities you don't support?

I doubt it, but sauce for the goose...

They can see Santa on their own time, after school or on weekends.
But you jump to conclusions....am I Christian, yes....I like the tree, I also think the Menorah is cool, I like the festive time of the year....POTUS recognizing Rhamadan and whatever else is FINE, it doesn't bother me. POTUS recognizing it doesn't mean to me that he is forcing me to recognize or change my practices....if you told me tomorrow that Christianity wasn't the majority religion in the US, no problem....by POTUS displaying a tree, tell me how that hinders a minority religion? I would personally love for my kids to have a field trip to witness a Hindu or Buddhist ceremony, I think it would be a really cool experience for them

Old 12-23-2015, 02:42 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
I give you props....you do move fast when backing up....

At first it was (paraphrasing)....nothing religious on govt grounds or public schools

You get called out and back track with....well if you give every religion equal time....u got called out again

Now you are on the exclusionary kick....so based on this school, please show me they REFUSED to recognize another Holiday that they were asked to recognize?

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..........WRONG

dang, let me help you up again, so clutzy today Emm
You would sound a whole lot more intelligent if you dialed down the insults and capital letters.

The school was not asked to cancel the trip. They were asked to reconsider their "tradition" of clearly promoting one religious custom over all others.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
As was explained to you a few times already, the Constitution prohibits the Government showing favoritism to any one religion. While I'd prefer that they didn't have any public religious displays in the White House, at least they are trying to strike a balance by acknowledging all major religions. As opposed to what that school did.

I am sure that the mother of that Jewish girl wouldn't complain if the school spent a day lighting the Menorah, another day doing something Buddhist, and then having that Santa trip. Although I personally think this is not how the taxpayer's money should be used. Instead, the school spent five days - a whole week - concentrating on Christmas (writing letters to Santa, dressing up like reindeers, all culminating in a trip to sit on St Nick's laps). A lot of people are able to see the difference.
But your original argument was the field trip, one day....now you are hedging
You now mention striking a balance between the MAJOR religions....hmmmmmmmm....so it's ok to slight what you consider are the MINOR religions? They don't count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events