Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 02:54 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
You would sound a whole lot more intelligent if you dialed down the insults and capital letters.

The school was not asked to cancel the trip. They were asked to reconsider their "tradition" of clearly promoting one religious custom over all others.
First off, I am really not concerned with impressing you with my intelligence or what you seem to deem as my lack thereof....2nd, I didn't insult anyone by calling them any derogatory names or question their intelligence (that was a little "shot" at you ) I was using CAPS for effect, not to insult

So now we are getting into the hair splitting semantics I see....what are the options for the school board to do at this point other than cancelling the trip? Please give me your recommendation of what you wanted the school to do....you been arguing for most of this thread that you don't believe a FT to see Santa has a place in an elementary school, so are you going to say there are conditions that you are ok with it?

Old 12-23-2015, 03:00 PM

471 posts, read 600,829 times
Here's the real beauty. Schools get funding based on attendance.

Cancelling this trip cost the school a huge amount of money because of all the absences that the school has to report.

I think the walkout was brilliant. The voted with their feet and allowed their children to enjoy something fun that should never have been taken away by one malcontent.

But the malcontent doesn't care, after all, for people like that it's all about them. So self centered. She could have opted out herself, but had to take it away from everyone else just because she didn't like it.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:02 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Here's the real beauty. Schools get funding based on attendance.

Cancelling this trip cost the school a huge amount of money because of all the absences that the school has to report.

I think the walkout was brilliant. The voted with their feet and allowed their children to enjoy something fun that should never have been taken away by one malcontent.

But the malcontent doesn't care, after all, for people like that it's all about them. So self centered. She could have opted out herself, but had to take it away from everyone else just because she didn't like it.
BINGO

Old 12-23-2015, 03:18 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Which "standards" are those?
How can you state the trip had NO educational purpose without knowing what the Kindergarten standards are

When you answer that, I'll answer your question.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:24 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
"But, but this is a Christian nation! We Christians should be able to do whatever we want!"

Fast Forward _____ years:

"I realize that America is an overwhelmingly Muslim nation now, but we have First Amendment that calls a separation of church and state. Respect my Christian religion."

Mick

Old 12-23-2015, 03:25 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
As was explained to you a few times already, the Constitution prohibits the Government showing favoritism to any one religion. While I'd prefer that they didn't have any public religious displays in the White House, at least they are trying to strike a balance by acknowledging all major religions. As opposed to what that school did.

I am sure that the mother of that Jewish girl wouldn't complain if the school spent a day lighting the Menorah, another day doing something Buddhist, and then having that Santa trip. Although I personally think this is not how the taxpayer's money should be used. Instead, the school spent five days - a whole week - concentrating on Christmas (writing letters to Santa, dressing up like reindeers, all culminating in a trip to sit on St Nick's laps). A lot of people are able to see the difference.
Going to see Santa isn't a constitutional violation. Give that one up already.

You take the mother's word as gospel [non-religious gospel]. Maybe she's right that the class spent 5 days on Christmas. I can't prove she's exaggerating, but it sounds fishy [pagan, not Christian] to me.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:35 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
But your original argument was the field trip, one day....now you are hedging

I think I'm at least a 4th poster you disagree with whom you are accusing of "changing", "flopping", "hedging", or "retracting" while none of them did such things.

This has always been about the school focusing their activities on one religious custom, that culminated in a field trip. You;re trying to derail this into a nitpicking argument based on your false accusations of your opponents, rather than debating the substance of this whole issue.

Last edited by Ummagumma; 12-23-2015 at 03:43 PM..

Old 12-23-2015, 03:38 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
See above...."Constitutional issue", but wait, you claimed it was never about the Constitution....I guess somebody hacked your account and posted under your screen name ....Here, let me help you up, you keep tripping over your own words
You may not realize it...but I suspect it's intentional...but today your posts on this issue have crossed the line from discussing alternate viewpoints to be argumentative and sarcastic.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:38 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
But you jump to conclusions....am I Christian, yes....I like the tree, I also think the Menorah is cool, I like the festive time of the year....POTUS recognizing Rhamadan and whatever else is FINE, it doesn't bother me. POTUS recognizing it doesn't mean to me that he is forcing me to recognize or change my practices....if you told me tomorrow that Christianity wasn't the majority religion in the US, no problem....by POTUS displaying a tree, tell me how that hinders a minority religion? I would personally love for my kids to have a field trip to witness a Hindu or Buddhist ceremony, I think it would be a really cool experience for them
This really explains a lot. Keep It Simple, you're like a fish who, because it's always surrounded by water, never notices that it's water rather than air it's swimming in.

Would you be OK with your kids growing up hearing the (not-so)subliminal message that because they were not Hindu, they really aren't "real Americans," because of course all REAL Americans are Hindu? Would you be OK with them being unelectable to any high public office because they aren't Hindu? Would you be OK with schools openly celebrating all the major Hindu rituals (but never any Christian ones) and pressuring your kids to join in? Would you like to be constantly telling your kids "No, we can't celebrate Holi, because we're Christian and Christians don't believe in that" while all around you Holi is being relentlessly promoted, and all their friends are out having a grand time throwing colored powder all over each other and squirting each other with water guns? How would you respond when your child comes home and asks you, "Billy says there are lots of Gods, and our religion is wrong. Is this true?"

Because until VERY recently, this was the experience of every non-Protestant in this nation.

And while things have gotten better, don't kid yourself it's all fine now. Remember the presidential election of 2000, when Al Gore ran for POTUS? His running mate, Joe Lieberman, was a religiously observant Jew. I remember seeing articles in TIME and Newsweek in which readers were reassured that if an emergency came up on a Saturday, Vice President Lieberman would indeed be able to deal with it. WTF?! Can you imagine any major news magazine reassuring its readers that "Candidate X (a devout Baptist) will indeed be able to deal with any emergencies that might develop on a Sunday should he be elected to office"?

And look at the way so many people accuse the current President of being "a secret Muslim." Since when is being a Muslim (secret or otherwise) a disqualification for the office of POTUS? I suppose we should be happy that at least Catholics are now electable, because certainly prior to 1960 there were not. JFK's Catholocism was a MAJOR issue in the 1960 Presidential race, never mind the fact that Catholics had been in this country in significant numbers since before the Revolutionary War.

Did you know that it was only in 2007 that Wiccans who died in the service of their country were finally granted the right to be buried under a tombstone bearing a Wiccan religious symbol? Wiccan Pentacles at Arlington, and Why Litigation Was Necessary

When you are fully aware of the level of pervasive, government-sanctioned religious discrimination that non-Protestants have been forced to endure for most of this country's history, you'll better understand why so many people are so insistent on keeping the church-state boundary high, especially in public schools.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:39 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
I disagree, nothing inappropriate about a field trip to see Santa Claus. Any parent be it Jewish, Muslim, or Buddhist who objects, should not take their child to school that day. Stay home, again only if the child wanted to.

But one parent should not ruin it for all children. The school was spineless to cancel this because of the Jewish mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events