Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 08:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I'm Jewish, and I'd be p issed as hell if a Santa trip got canceled like that! It would be a sad day if my little girl didn't get to sit on Santa's lap at least once during the holidays, and see beautiful lights and nativity scenes all over town.

Look, this is a Christian country, Christmas is a national holiday, and Santa is for everyone. GET A LIFE LADY.
So that's how you're raising your daughter, good for you! Not everyone agrees. And what's wrong with you taking your little girl to see Santa and the lights and nativity scenes? Why should the school do it?

Old 12-23-2015, 08:24 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
I dont see why a public school has to take kids to go see Santa.... let the parents do that on their own time. Does this Santa trip enhance the curriculum? Do the students actually learn anything? Why are they missing a day of class to go sit on Santa's lap?... It's just not appropriate in the sense it has nothing to do with the curriculum or learning. . . let the kids and their families go see Santa on their own. . .

Also, perhaps the school could bring Santa to the school and have him sit in the gym for an hour during an assembly if it's so important... the kids that wanna see him can and the Jewish and non-celebrants can go hang out somewhere else.. that way an entire day of class isn't missed.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:28 AM

Just saw this on NPR. It's very interesting!
What American Muslims Do On Christmas: New Traditions Emerge : NPR
"For many American Jews, Christmas Day means Chinese food and movies. But how do American Muslims spend their time on Christmas?"

Old 12-23-2015, 09:03 AM

1,069 posts, read 712,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I dont see why a public school has to take kids to go see Santa.... let the parents do that on their own time. Does this Santa trip enhance the curriculum? Do the students actually learn anything? Why are they missing a day of class to go sit on Santa's lap?... It's just not appropriate in the sense it has nothing to do with the curriculum or learning. . . let the kids and their families go see Santa on their own. . .

Also, perhaps the school could bring Santa to the school and have him sit in the gym for an hour during an assembly if it's so important... the kids that wanna see him can and the Jewish and non-celebrants can go hang out somewhere else.. that way an entire day of class isn't missed.
That isn't good enough for the contrarians...."My little gum drop shouldn't be forced to visit Santa" which is agreeable. So you make a concession and say "You are right, if your child doesn't want to see Santa, they can hang out in the Library". To which you get the response of "How DARE you exclude my child"!!!!
There is no compromise, the mindset is "I want what I want and damn everyone else's feelings, my feelings are more important", and if others have to suffer, to bad"

Old 12-23-2015, 09:12 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Don't dump on Protestant Christians. It seems that most of the people here supporting this school don't even know that Santa is associated with Christianity. I'd say their knowledge of religion of any kind is a little lacking.
St Nicholas......is nothing like the American Coca-Cola Santa.......even you must admit this! Santa in America has NEVER been like St Nicholas.

Even Martin Luther didn't introduce Santa. He introduced candles which represented "the Light!"

Quote:
Just saw this on NPR. It's very interesting!
What American Muslims Do On Christmas: New Traditions Emerge : NPR
"For many American Jews, Christmas Day means Chinese food and movies. But how do American Muslims spend their time on Christmas?"

Jesus is also revered as a prophet in Islam. "Muslims and Christians believe that Jesus is the only messiah,"

Excuse me if I have a hard time with this one.......such a play on words! More than the Messiah, He Is the Son of God......some how many will not admit this.

I see why many celebrate with Santa with a smile.......

"This little girl asked me if I believed in Santa, and I said, 'What does he look like?' " Noorbakhsh recalls.
So it was with great pride she informed the girl — that's the Ayatollah Khomeini!
The little girl replied, "Well, we call him Santa Claus."

Katarina......surprised you did catch this.^^^^^

If Iran is such a wonderful place to raise a little girl, why are they in America?

Last edited by wildflower82; 12-23-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
That isn't good enough for the contrarians...."My little gum drop shouldn't be forced to visit Santa" which is agreeable. So you make a concession and say "You are right, if your child doesn't want to see Santa, they can hang out in the Library". To which you get the response of "How DARE you exclude my child"!!!!
There is no compromise, the mindset is "I want what I want and damn everyone else's feelings, my feelings are more important", and if others have to suffer, to bad"
You're right! That's not an appropriate compromise. "You got to the library and look at books, while the rest of us go off campus and yuck it up". Or, "you can stay home while the rest of us go out and have fun". I don't know why some can't see that.

I'm surprised that such a field trip went on for so long in California, that bastion of diversity anyway!

Old 12-23-2015, 09:17 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Look, this is a Christian country,
No, it is a secular country in which the majority of the population is currently Christian. BIG difference!

Quote:
Christmas is a national holiday
Only because enough people will be off from work on that day to make it impractical to keep government offices open. The day may well come in the future when that is no longer the case, and Christmas may lose its Federal holiday status.

Quote:
and Santa is for everyone.
And a good many people in this country disagree with you on that matter. Which is all the reason we need to keep Santa (as well as any other figures associated with religious holidays) out of the public schools.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
You're right! That's not an appropriate compromise. "You got to the library and look at books, while the rest of us go off campus and yuck it up". Or, "you can stay home while the rest of us go out and have fun". I don't know why some can't see that.
They don't see it because they don't want to see it. It's as simple as that.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:20 AM

1,069 posts, read 712,308 times
Quote:

I'm surprised that such a field trip went on for so long in California, that bastion of diversity anyway!
Please read the post that I responded to....Prime said to bring Santa INTO the school, to which I said the contrarians would have a problem with that as well

Now to your point, you are right, I don't understand your reasoning....it's not only that YOU don't want to go, you don't want ANYONE ELSE to go.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Now to your point, you are right, I don't understand your reasoning....it's not only that YOU don't want to go, you don't want ANYONE ELSE to go.
She doesn't want anyone else to go DURING SCHOOL HOURS, on a trip being paid for BY THE TAXPAYERS. Anyone who wants to see Santa can go after school or on the weekend, and no one will have any issues with it.

It's not an appropriate field trip for a public school to be offering. It's a perfectly fine trip for a private group to organize and fund.

Now do you understand the reasoning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events