Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 04:12 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
His father got elected. I'm telling you, it never came up here in Colorado, that I know of. We all know many Mormons.
Perhaps it wasn't an issue in Colorado because there are many Mormons, but it appears to have been an issue in other places where there weren't so many Mormons.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:22 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Doesn't take away from the fact that Santa is linked to Christmas and Christmas is linked to Christ.

That's what one Christian church has to say about jolly old Nick:

Who is St Nicholas ?

The true story of Santa Claus begins with Nicholas, who was born during the third century in the village of Patara.

Under the Roman Emperor Diocletian, who ruthlessly persecuted Christians, Bishop Nicholas suffered for his faith, was exiled and imprisoned.

Through the centuries St. Nicholas has continued to be venerated by Catholics and Orthodox and honored by Protestants. By his example of generosity to those in need, especially children, St. Nicholas continues to be a model for the compassionate life.

Widely celebrated in Europe, St. Nicholas' feast day, December 6th, kept alive the stories of his goodness and generosity. .

Simple gift-giving in early Advent helps preserve a Christmas Day focus on the Christ Child.

It's been a long journey from the Fourth Century Bishop of Myra, St. Nicholas, who showed his devotion to God in extraordinary kindness and generosity to those in need, to America's jolly Santa Claus, whose largesse often supplies luxuries to the affluent. However, if you peel back the accretions, he is still Nicholas, Bishop of Myra, whose caring surprises continue to model true giving and faithfulness.
There is growing interest in reclaiming the original saint in the United States to help restore a spiritual dimension to this festive time. For indeed, St. Nicholas, lover of the poor and patron saint of children, is a model of how Christians are meant to live. A bishop, Nicholas put Jesus Christ at the center of his life, his ministry, his entire existence. Families, churches, and schools are embracing true St Nicholas traditions as one way to claim the true center of Christmas—the birth of Jesus. Such a focus helps restore balance to increasingly materialistic and stress-filled Advent and Christmas seasons.

Yep, nothing to do with religion at all.
Doesn't take away from the fact that Santa Claus is no longer used as a religious figure, especially in schools.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:59 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Whether they mentioned Jesus or not, I am pretty sure they weren't teaching about Hanukah or Diwali or Ramadan when they were playing reindeer and writing letters to Santa.
If the mother said they don't have non-religious activities for other holidays, maybe she'd have a decent point. The better solution would be to bring other non-religious activities when those holidays occur, not to fuss over a short trip to see Santa.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:59 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Doesn't take away from the fact that Santa Claus is no longer used as a religious figure, especially in schools.
This about sums it up! Seems people have a hard time seeing secular views have meet with religious views. When we combined the 2, we have Santa and Jesus bringing JOY to ALL!

Old 12-24-2015, 07:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
They are non-issues to YOU. They are BIG issues to many others who do not hold the same beliefs that you do.

Your personal feelings are not the arbiter of what's appropriate. The Constitution is - and the Constitution explicitly states that the government should not show favoritism to any one religion. A public school field trip to see Santa is favoring Christianity over non-Christian religions, and is therefore not OK.
Yes, yes. The Constitution was about plastic decorations on a lawn.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, I see it as you missing the point.

You remind me a bit of a teacher who once stood up in a faculty meeting and demanded in an angry voice that we have a Christmas caroling assembly "because we're in the majority". I found it rather lacking in the Christmas spirit to be angry and demanding and then basing it on being in the majority. But I guess it's onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war.
So if the school is in a predominately Jewish neighborhood we shouldn't expect celebrations and talk about Judaism. I'm sorry but that is complete bull****.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Sounds more like you want people to melt into your pot.
I'm sorry you take it that way. I've gone to great lengths to state I believe the exact opposite. I guess your perspective is bending my meaning. I can't do anything about that.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
If it doesn't matter, why are you arguing about it?
I KNEW someone would say this exact thing.

I am saying the decorations and such don't matter in the grand scheme of things. I am saying that there are actual dangerous, oppressive acts committed against the idea of church and state.

But you knew that already, right?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Do you really not understand that giving recognition and a place in the White House to multiple religions is not the same thing as promoting one religion over others?
Why is it different when courthouses do the same thing? Our county courthouse has decorations for multiple religions and people still ***** and moan.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And you have been given numerous reasons why that is not an acceptable activity for a public school outing. Time to give it a rest.
Who are you to tell someone to give it a rest?

I happen to disagree with your numerous reasons and find the anger against such a silly activity to be a ridiculous waste of energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events