Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 07:01 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,502,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
All the more reason there shouldn't be Santa trips in public schools. Schools don't have time to teach things children should be learning to compete successfully in the world economy, but they have time to teach FANTASY?

Have you ever been to Asia and talked to the kids there? I have and it scares me how much better educated many of them are than the average American child.
Now you blame America's failing educational system and competition in the world economy on Kindergarteners spending maybe an hour going to see Santa. There are sensible reasons to oppose this activity; yours is not among them.

As they say in Japan, Meri Kurisumasu

Old 12-22-2015, 07:11 AM

1,069 posts, read 711,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And you'd cheerfully let your child participate in a public school festival celebrating Dwali or Eid, right?

A lot of people commenting in this thread really, really need to spend some extended time in a place where their own religious beliefs are a a minority faith and not respected by the majority culture.
I don't know, but I will say this, if they were somehow celebrating Dwali or Eid for part of one day out of the entire year, instead of taking a stand to ruin it for everyone else, I would discreetly ask the teacher or principal that I don't feel right in participating and could my child be excused or possibly work on his/her ABC's or fingerpainting (we are talking about Kindergarten age children) for the few hours....no drama, no problems, problem solved

Last edited by Keep It Simple; 12-22-2015 at 07:21 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 07:17 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
All the more reason there shouldn't be Santa trips in public schools. Schools don't have time to teach things children should be learning to compete successfully in the world economy, but they have time to teach FANTASY?

Have you ever been to Asia and talked to the kids there? I have and it scares me how much better educated many of them are than the average American child.
My bet, these kids don't have to deal with making sure everyone feels good while learning. Along with hidden assignments asking kids to write who God IS and not telling the kids what they are writing. Taking away cursive and now learning calligraphy seems to be the new way of writing. Making sure lunches are for everyone's taste, when most of us use to throw the stuff away.

Cursive Writing Removed From School Curriculum. It's About Time! - Mommyish

I don't agree with a school trip, but it is in the town, my guess not far from school. Those offended should have had their child do something else this day. If someone is offended and the majority of people around them are not, the one offended has to make the change of plans, not the majority.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:19 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Reading so many posts here I'm baffled by those who seem to be under the impression that Santa is just some American tradition. Religious Jewish folk do not do the Santa thing, period.
The willful ignorance is staggering, isn't it?

And you are absolutely right that religious Jews don't do "the Santa thing," or put up Christmas trees, or adopt any of the other supposedly "secular" symbols of Christmas. What a lot of people also don't know is that traditionally they don't make a big deal out of Hanukah, either, because it is a VERY MINOR Jewish holiday. It would be like modern Christians getting all over-the-top about the Feast of the Sacred Heart. The religious holidays in Judaism which are as important in that religion as Easter and Christmas are to Christianity are the High Holy Days and Passover. Why isn't that ever mentioned in schools? Instead it's all menorahs and dreidels.

Quote:
What I'm most fascinated by,however, is the woman (part of the walk out) who is almost in tears because Christmas has now been "soured"? I think, as a fellow Christian, she might be missing the point.
I agree. How can anything a public school does ruin a religious holiday? Celebrate it to your heart's content at home!

Old 12-22-2015, 07:34 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am a Jewish parent. I have never encouraged either of my two children to differentiate among Jewish and non-Jewish friends. Eventually marriage will be a different issue but we're not there yet.

As far as the community center, was it publicly funded? If not I don't see the problem?
You sound like a good parent; the mother of my friend was not. I remember my Jewish friend was having difficulties with her mother anyway. It was her mother who finally told her not to be friends with me because I wasn't Jewish. My friend had invited me to the Jewish community center and her mother made her call me and tell me I was not welcome.

I'm just saying it works both ways.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo2020 View Post
\\\

A lot parents doing nothing with the kids so going to movie such as Star Wars is not bad idea.
Why not let kids have a little fun in their school time.
Exactly. I wonder if some of these posters have kids or grandkids in school or ever visit a public school. Why so militant. Kids need to have some fun at school also.

And they do take field trips to movies. My grandsons class had one just recently. He didnt want to go so he stayed at the school. His school also had a Christmas parade during school hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
School is first and foremost about EDUCATION, not simply "fun." If the educational trip is also fun (like going to the zoo to learn about wild animals, or going to a living history park which will of course involve being outside as part of the experience), I'm fine with it. But just going to a popular movie, or to the mall, during school hours - nonsense! Kids have the rest of the week to have fun; it's not asking too much of the precious little darlings to spend a few hours each day concentrating on such un-fun things as learning to read, write, and cipher.
I have spent more time with our school, getting to know the teachers, guardians and students as I have had custody of my grandkids for a year or so. Many of the kids are from broken families and have less than idea living conditions and opportunities. Sometimes these school functions and trips are the only time some kids get to socialize with other kids and have some fun and make some memories.
I was talking to a mother the other night, her sons father killed himself about this time last year. Its been difficult for him especially this time of year. The little party held for the ball players was a nice distraction for him. It wasnt on school time or paid for by your precious property taxes, but still. You never know what some of these little precious darlings are dealing with and its not always about what YOU are fine with. There is more to education than what is in the text books or within the walls of the school building.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:50 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You sound like a good parent; the mother of my friend was not. I remember my Jewish friend was having difficulties with her mother anyway. It was her mother who finally told her not to be friends with me because I wasn't Jewish. My friend had invited me to the Jewish community center and her mother made her call me and tell me I was not welcome.

I'm just saying it works both ways.
I'm not defending your friend's mother because I think she was completely wrong.

However, this is not an equivalent situation of it "working both ways." You are discussing an activity outside of school going to a private community center established and paid for by the members, not activities in the PUBLIC schools which are supposed to be neutral and not promote any religion.

And fwiw, every JCC I've known has plenty of non-Jews participating in activities there, using the athletic facilities and signing their kids up for pre-school. No religious restrictions although yes, your kid will be served a kosher meal. Most Jews I know do not keep Kosher but in order to make sure the ones that do are completely comfortable, they default to the stricter standard of serving only Kosher food.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Well, yes and no. I just think that a trip to see Santa shouldn't be done during school hours. However, the mom had to know they take this same fieldtrip every year. I'd say she probably is an old battleax party pooper. Doesn't change the fact that the kids should be in the classroom though.
How did the mom "have" to know that? It's not made clear in the link, but I believe other posters have said this child was a kindergartner. Before my oldest went to school, I really had no idea what went on there, although there was a big flap about Halloween at the local ele school when my oldest was about 3. It was in the paper, but I had no idea how bitter feelings were until my kid went there.

I am rather surprised that this field trip wasn't questioned before. That is really an inappropriate trip for school kids. My friend works in an ele school, and the only trip the Ks take is to the pumpkin patch in October. (Probably can't call it Halloween, LOL!) Back to this story, some Christian parents don't approve of Santa, either. My own mom would have not been real happy with this trip.

And what was the mom supposed to do, assuming she did know about the field trip? Send her kid to a private school? For most of us, public school is the only option.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
US has more than one religion.
Public schools maybe doing this for centuries and will do if no one objects but things have changed.
It opens a whole new can of worms when Jews, Hindus, Jains, Buddhists etc... also want similar corresponding religious activities in school.
For the love of the Holly King, Santa Clause is not a religious activity!
Do Jews, Hindus, Jains, Buddhists etc. have a holiday celebration that has absolutely nothing to do with their religion that is observed by 90% of the population? Then bring it on.

For those who oppose Christmas festivities in the public school its now time to demand the removal of the White House Christmas tree and decorations, removal of all Christmas trees, decorations, images of Santa from all government offices and institutions that receive any form of government monies (including private citizens on welfare programs), demand these offices and institutions remain open for business on December 24th and 25th. Then proceed to boycott businesses that use these symbols of Christianity on their premises and advertising, which is about every one of them.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
Here's an easy way to remember what is appropriate and what is not:

Muslim prayer rooms = appropriate and politically correct.
Anything pertaining to Christian or Jewish culture = offensive. (Unless there are no Muslims in your school, then Jewish culture is okay, but Christian is never appropriate. And for those who don't know - Santa Claus was based on Saint Nikolaus, a Christian priest. Therefore, he is offensive and all images of him are "micro aggressions")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events