Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 AM

29,532 posts, read 22,783,643 times

Advertisements

Family was upset that this Santa didn't allow the little child to sit on his lap.

Family outraged by Santa's standing photo with special needs child

Quote:
The incident happened Friday afternoon at Bass Pro Shops in northwest San Antonio.

Megan Self said she unhooked her son Caleb from his breathing apparatus and other medical equipment, after waiting in line for a free picture with Santa Claus.

Self said Santa stood up, took one photo with Caleb, then quickly handed off the child, who has been diagnosed with mitochondrial encephalomyopathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 10:23 AM

16,589 posts, read 10,714,244 times
I've been getting more and more annoyed not only with the outrageous prices that the mall charges for pictures with Santa, but that they won't let parents take pictures with their own cameras. So it's good to know that Bass Pro Shops does free pictures.

The linked article did not offer any explanation as to why Santa felt the need to stand for the picture with the little boy. One would think that a journalist writing an article about this would want to get Santa's perspective on the situation, but apparently not.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,646,436 times
Not everyone knows how to deal with special needs children especially with so many different types of special needs.
Standing seemed the safest option "just in case".

Old 12-23-2015, 10:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,036,869 times
Are babies usually "sat" on Santa's lap or simply held? I'm asking because I'm not sure. I've seen both, photos of Santa holding the baby (while seated though) and Santa supporting the baby into a sitting position/the baby able to sit on his or her own. I wonder if this baby would be able to "sit" on his own or require a little support from Santa, or perhaps it's better in his condition he is held. Unfortunately we don't know because it doesn't go into much detail in the article about his condition. I do agree that Santa at least should have been sitting.

Perhaps the guy dressed as Santa was reluctant to touch the child, not fear because he has a condition and the fact that he is different but fear that he would hurt the child or simply fear of the unknown - not knowing much about his condition and how serious it is and being anxious to spend a lot of time with him. Perhaps he was afraid of liability issues. The child was removed from his breathing apparatus, according to the mother, maybe Santa was afraid if something happened while he was holding the baby, he would be blamed. Or maybe Santa's just a d*ck. It's hard to say and the article wasn't very detailed.

It sounds like the parents have had a rough year and this sent them over the edge, as they said, this incident was "icing on the cake." It is my opinion that the parents are being too sensitive and I'm sick of the "special needs" entitlement crap but I do feel for them that their son is in such poor health, and I can see why others would disagree with me but this is just how I feel.

I agree that Santa should have been sitting down. There's no good reason to be standing in the picture. It makes him look uncomfortable. But maybe a picture "sitting on Santa's lap" just isn't that doable given the baby's condition. Unfortunately they have to realize that since he has medical problems, he is "different" than other kids and unfortunately his experiences cannot be the same as a "normal" child's, one without such a medical issue. At the least Santa should have been sitting, and if possible, maybe the baby could have been propped on his lap. I wonder how much the parents got involved, though, and tried to help, position the baby, and/or explain the condition he is in. I wish the article was more informative but I do think Santa should have been sitting down.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:39 AM

51,083 posts, read 36,780,840 times
This man may have been afraid to handle the child, nervous holding him due to his fragile medical nature. Not every Santa is actually experienced handling small babies let alone babies hooked up to tubes and oxygen.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:44 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,036,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This man may have been afraid to handle the child, nervous holding him due to his fragile medical nature. Not every Santa is actually experienced handling small babies let alone babies hooked up to tubes and oxygen.
Exactly. These parents seem to want the Santa to be able to cater to them and the needs of their child, when that child is in the minority and Santa probably comes across very few children with such medical issues. All the sensitivity training in the world can't teach you to not be afraid to hold a baby who is seemingly so fragile. Sensitivity training is likely used so Santa can be more tolerant, as in not make rude comments or jokes and be more empathetic to those with such medical or developmental problems, but you can't make a guy look comfortable holding a baby, especially one with so many medical problems. I would be afraid to hold a baby who has been removed from his oxygen, as well.

I still do think that Santa is a little at fault, because he could have at least been sitting down IMO.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:48 AM

19,878 posts, read 12,170,099 times
People in this country have become do intolerant, blowing up every perceived injustice and taking it to social media. I'm sure the old man playing Santa was just trying to do the best thing for this baby.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:03 AM

15,559 posts, read 10,555,063 times
" Family outraged by Santa's standing photo with special needs child "

Having been around a child with a breathing machine, I understand that people are very concerned about doing something that might endanger the child. They are overly cautious, most don't know how to deal with it. That's okay, at least they are being careful. The parents should save their outrage for Santa's who smell of smoke or provoke unruly excitement. Articles often leave out details, so I don't know if this Santa was really an ass or not. I do know that parents of special needs children are hypersensitive though. I understand their disappointment, but it's best for the child if they lighten up.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:13 AM

79 posts, read 54,175 times
Seems unfair to shame a man for not wanting to hold a child that was so sick and frail they had to be unhooked from tubes for the photo. I feel bad for the Santa. He probably was just trying to be on the safe side with an obviously very sick, fragile child and now gets to be the butt-end of internet ridicule because of it. The mom should have spoken to the venue about her feelings or even to Santa himself, but putting it on social media as an "outrage" is just over the top and spiteful.

It's also run-of-the-mill retail worker bullying because it's seriously doubtful the seasonal Santa contract requires Santa to hold or touch children at all. In fact, I'm sure they are discouraged from doing anything that could make the venue liable. I'm so tired of this type of entitled parent stories where the parent is trying to ruin someone's life over some minor incident. They should consider simply expressing their displeasure like an adult and move on like the rest of us do.

Last edited by Canyon Rose; 12-23-2015 at 11:22 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 11:26 AM

51,058 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Having worked with both emotionally and physically disabled children, it's difficult to know how to handle each individual situation. And yes, some parents of disabled children are overly sensitive about practically everything related to their children. On the other hand, most of us have no idea how to handle special needs children. I don't know how to handle a normal baby. It scares me.

I'm not sure there's any real news here. I'm willing to give "Santa" the benefit of the doubt on this one, particularly considering all of the medical equipment (in fact, was it even good to unhook the baby from that equipment?) and the baby's fragility. In fact, I thought it was a rather nice photo with a smiling Santa.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the family for their overall situation, but I'm not sure they're looking at this objectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events