Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:53 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Was that comment really needed?

We are all sitting behind some type of scene/keyboard. Just because some people are smart enough not to live in one of the worst cities in one of the most corrupt states has nothing to do with posting their opinion.
Frankly, other than work you couldn't get elsewhere, I cannot imagine why anyone would live there.

Except maybe for "THE BEARS"

`
I visited there once. I dug it. The brick architecture, the L, and the urban vibe were so unlike everything I grew up with. Not to mention the hot dogs.

That crime and police / politician corruption rate has got to go, though. Makes my corrupt state look like a utopia.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Has less to do with gun control and more to do with black poverty/gang violence.
Specifically, drug turf wars among gangs. They often target friends and families of rival gang members.

CC became legal in Illinois in 2013. Nothing particularity tough about Chicago's gun laws aside from guns cannot be legally sold within city limits. No problem legally buying a gun from nearby Indiana or suburbs, not that gangs have ever been deterred by laws.

Regardless, a federal judge recently overturned the city's ban ob gun sales and transfers.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-13-2016 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 03:05 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times

110 shot 17 killed in first 10 days of year in Chicago

Typical days in thug land.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That city is the perfect example of what happens when "gun control" is enforced.

Hows that working out for you, Chicago?
What controls? Is Chicago the only city to require a permit?

Your info is dated.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I think the point was that Chicago has some very strict gun control for the purpose of "curbing gun violence" and it doesn't seem to be working, what ever the actual cause.
Your source of information is dated.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:16 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Was that comment really needed?

We are all sitting behind some type of scene/keyboard. Just because some people are smart enough not to live in one of the worst cities in one of the most corrupt states has nothing to do with posting their opinion.
Frankly, other than work you couldn't get elsewhere, I cannot imagine why anyone would live there.

Except maybe for "THE BEARS"

`
What's funny is that some people seem to think the entire city is like that. As with basically every city, crime is reduced to a certain area. I don't understand why that's hard to comprehend. And hey, I know people who live in Chicago. They LOVE it. Why aren't they hiding in their houses cowering? I mean, if it's such a dangerous city like some claim, the least they should be doing is hiding inside.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Funny they are so poor but can afford a gun. Also how many of them passed a background check lol!!! Some of the toughest gun laws on the books and Chicago is still a shooting gallery!!
Your information is dated.

What was rather unique was the contrast between formerly tough gun control laws in the city/ state and the rather lax consequences for illegal possession of a gun.

NYC, for example imposes a 3.5 year minimum prison sentence while Cook County imposes a 1 year sentence for illegal possession , often pled down to 6 months. Mayors in Cook County, including Rahm Emanuel, pushed for harsher minimums for illegal possession of firearms. Lawmakers did not agree.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Well at least Chicago has the drug trade under control!

The demand for drugs in the US is insatiable.

Chicago is a major distribution hub in the US.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Maybe they should try voting for something other than the Democrat Party? History has taught us that Democrat-controlled cities makes life even more miserable for black people than it is under those 'racist' Republicans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3fpbPr9Kh0

WATCH: Chicago Activists Blast Democrats, Black Leadership | Truth Revolt

Black Chicago Pastor: Democrats Have 'Failed Us' - Breitbart
Republican rarely bother to run for Mayor in Chicago.

The current Governor is Repubkican as many before him have been. He just completed his first year in office and maybe has begun to realize there's a huge difference between the board room and state government.

State legislate will not agree to cost cuts the Governor wants.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What's funny is that some people seem to think the entire city is like that. As with basically every city, crime is reduced to a certain area. I don't understand why that's hard to comprehend. And hey, I know people who live in Chicago. They LOVE it. Why aren't they hiding in their houses cowering? I mean, if it's such a dangerous city like some claim, the least they should be doing is hiding inside.
The majority of shootings happen in well defined geographical areas of the city. The majority involve gang business.

Unless you live in or provide public services to or seek drugs in the open air markets, there's no reason to be in the rough areas.

Chicago is a very segregated city although green $ or lack thereof, tends to make everyone equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events