Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,173,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Everyone knows that your going to pay a bit more in a local store then some chain. Big box stores know this even, more when people have no other place to shop. If people who shop at Walmart want to buy crappy meat that's supposed to be fresh, they buy all means let them eat that crap & whatever else they claim to be fresh. At least I KNOW what I'm getting at other places. But carry on.
Like the rest of this segment, the food industry for meat and produce is pretty consolidated. The rich left has romanticized this notion that the small home town grocer pays better wages, has better benefits and has better food. They've either never been to a small town or think Whole Foods is a small home town grocer.

Retailing food like anything else retail. It's just a job and not a career

Old 01-28-2016, 08:16 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,597,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Like the rest of this segment, the food industry for meat and produce is pretty consolidated. The rich left has romanticized this notion that the small home town grocer pays better wages, has better benefits and has better food. They've either never been to a small town or think Whole Foods is a small home town grocer.

Retailing food like anything else retail. It's just a job and not a career

I myself never said they pay better or anything of the sort. I used to work for Earth Fare & BEFORE they went corporate they were a damn good store. If you buy per-packaged products from Walmart then that's fine but go back & look at the video I posted which someone made who works there about their meat. I know where EF gets most of their meats & same with Whole Foods, while they are not perfect it's MUCH better then Walmart. Places like Whole Foods DOES pay better then Walmart I know that for a fact around $11.00 an Hr. Not sure about Trader Joes & Publix though. I do know that when I walk into ANY of those stores that they are clean & no one runs the other way when we ask for help. I'm not saying that these stores are perfect but as someone who used to Walmart before & after Sam Walton died they were a much better company then they are these days.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:18 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,081,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Wow people really have forgotten. 15-20 years ago Walmart started moving into rural areas and soon the family owned grocery stores, hardware stores and town pharmacies started closing. It was a well known fact that Walmart seriously effecting the small downtown areas. There were countless articles about them.

Most of the articles you see now only date back 5 or 6 years but it was well known 15 years ago what kind of effect they had on small towns.

With their pricing strategies and their strong arming of vendors they changed the face of retail and manufacturing for ever.
For about the third time in this thread alone, that is NOT what happened in my area. There were no family owned grocery stores, hardware stores and pharmacies, in the downtown or anywhere else in town. You need to get over this romantic notion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
And, their produce is really horrible. Stale, spoils quickly. I've seen mold in cartons of 'fresh' berries, bags of oranges. Funny looking meat that smells 'off' when you open it. Never been able to justify wasting my money there. It is definitely not the place to go if you want real food to cook.
I've seen all of that in our chain grocery store as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You kind of sound like a snob by the way. But what do I know? Maybe every Walmart I have ever been in throughout the country was different than the one by you because I don't remember the place full of drunk crazies who violated my personal space. Maybe I just got blind lucky. Yeah, that's it.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Everyone knows that your going to pay a bit more in a local store then some chain. Big box stores know this even, more when people have no other place to shop. If people who shop at Walmart want to buy crappy meat that's supposed to be fresh, they buy all means let them eat that crap & whatever else they claim to be fresh. At least I KNOW what I'm getting at other places. But carry on.
"A little more" is different than the price gouging the previous poster was describing. And why don't you check out the benefits at these "Mom and Pop" places.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:24 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,597,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

"A little more" is different than the price gouging the previous poster was describing. And why don't you check out the benefits at these "Mom and Pop" places.

Read my post above. Walmart doesn't offer much in the way of benefits either. Most don't because of Obama care. My wife is a Very smart shopper even more so because we try eat organic. Which is tough & expensive So she compares places like Target, Publix, & yes even Walmart. With us being on a budget of late we have started checking them out when it comes to their boxed foods. But Target & Big Lots carry much the same & we are able to avoid Walmart.
It might cost a bit more like a dollar or two depending but for some of us it's worth it.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:24 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,118,516 times
Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events