Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 05:47 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
That is your interpretation of what my post says in a nut shell. I stated my points clearly - they may not be what you would prefer to hear, but that doesn't make them any less valid.

No, that's pretty much exactly what you said...

Can everyone drive around at 100MPH? Doesn't sound safe to me, and especially not for a rider on 2 wheels without even a piece of fiberglass between him and the pavement.

No. And he was being pulled over for breaking the law as he deserved. There ya go again down the "well what he's doing is dangerous anyway" road. Helmet has no relevance in this case. None.

Did the speeding rider deserve to get shot? - NO!

Does it appear he was intentionally shot? - NO!

Did the officer immediately accept responsibility for his actions? - YES!

I personally find that refreshing. You don't have to if you don't want to. Its a free country's forum afterall.

I'd find it more refreshing if that rider had a hole in his wallet and driving record rather than his arm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 05:59 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
put it in park at :45

hunting analogy makes no sense. If we go hunting, I point my 12 gauge at you and accidentally pull the trigger I'm going to jail or prison and you will have everything I own in a civil suit.

Diminishing this rider's threat is the way he pulled over--facing into the ditch. Nowhere to go.

From the time he saw the lights until safely coming to a stop from 100 mph, yes 8 seconds sounds logical...

Also, if barney can't control his finger he should not have advanced w/weapon still drawn AFTER shooting him once already. Don't think anyone said the word pigs in this thread except you...
Stop making excuses for the rider. At the very beginning of the clip he was riding so fast he nearly crossed the center line into an oncoming truck. He didn't apply his brakes and try to stop until 4 seconds into that video. And again to claim the chase started when that clip did is just stupid. Pretty safe to assume it went on longer, again the lights and siren were already on and they were both already at high speeds yet you want to pretend the incident started when that video did. That's nuts.

To claim that he was looking for a safe spot to stop, after you tried to claim repeatedly that he may not have known he was being chased despite lights flashing at night, a siren, and a speed so fast it nearly killed him had he crossed that center line, is ridiculous. He passed several safe spots, including a cross road and a shoulder just like the one he ended stopping on, as he continued along at this high speed.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 01-28-2016 at 06:24 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 06:05 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
Quote:
I'd find it more refreshing if that rider had a hole in his wallet and driving record rather than his arm.
In my opinion, which I am entitled to, the kid on the bike was LUCKY the accidental bullet didn't kill him.

The officer was also LUCKY the accidental bullet didn't hit a vital (i.e. more probable to cause his death) area.
If it had the biker would be dead, and the officer would most definitely be facing - at least - involuntary manslaughter charges, and his career would most likely be over. There was luck there for both of them.

No one is perfect, not even you or me. The kid clearly wasn't perfect. Accidents happen. Crap happens.

I have accidently driven over the speed limit, and I know how scary it is to find a slow moving vehicle pulling out in front of you about a quarter of a mile away, and finding you are having trouble avoiding an accident. When I did it, cars were made of metal - today, they are made of Styrofoam and fiberglass, hence the fiberglass reference. I did not comment on any helmet.
See how easy it is for anyone to mis-interpret someone elses words?

I am against a world without police, and to me, that officer did not appear to be a bad guy, and neither did the biker. Sorry, but that's just my opinion. *shrugs*

Old 01-28-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
In my opinion, which I am entitled to, the kid on the bike was LUCKY the accidental bullet didn't kill him.

The officer was also LUCKY the accidental bullet didn't hit a vital (i.e. more probable to cause his death) area.
If it had the biker would be dead, and the officer would most definitely be facing - at least - involuntary manslaughter charges, and his career would most likely be over. There was luck there for both of them.

No one is perfect, not even you or me. The kid clearly wasn't perfect. Accidents happen. Crap happens.

I have accidently driven over the speed limit, and I know how scary it is to find a slow moving vehicle pulling out in front of you about a quarter of a mile away, and finding you are having trouble avoiding an accident. When I did it, cars were made of metal - today, they are made of Styrofoam and fiberglass, hence the fiberglass reference. I did not comment on any helmet.
See how easy it is for anyone to mis-interpret someone elses words?

I am against a world without police, and to me, that officer did not appear to be a bad guy, and neither did the biker. Sorry, but that's just my opinion. *shrugs*
Exactly, well said. Both parties were extremely lucky. It was an accident and frankly after seeing so many bad cops on clips it was refreshing to see IMO an officer handling the situation correctly after the shooting. He was not abusive, he didn't take the "I'm right because I'm a cop" attitude. He was sympathetic and admitted the mistake he had made to the victim and all but apologized. Most officers do not do that. OK so the muscle memory excuse was not the best one. But like the command to put a bike in park while under a very stressful situation posters are focusing on issues that are not important.

What is important is this kid was most definitely running from the police. And as I said in EVERY SINGLE CHASE SCENE ever recorded when that happens the officers approach with their guns drawn. There is a reason for that and it has nothing to do with which way the bike was facing. Perps are a perceived threat when they run from the law, if he was desperate enough to nearly get killed by crossing the center line there is every reason to believe he could possibly pull a gun. You lose your right to a nice easy traffic stop when you run from the police at 100 MPH. So there was every reason for this officer to draw his weapon, we see it in every chase scene.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:35 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Stop making excuses for the rider. At the very beginning of the clip he was riding so fast he nearly crossed the center line into an oncoming truck. He didn't apply his brakes and try to stop until 4 seconds into that video. And again to claim the chase started when that clip did is just stupid. Pretty safe to assume it went on longer, again the lights and siren were already on and they were both already at high speeds.

To claim that he was looking for a safe spot to stop, after you tried to claim repeatedly that he may not have known he was being chased despite lights flashing at night, a siren, and a speed so fast it nearly killed him had he crossed that center line, is ridiculous. He passed several safe spots, including a cross road and a shoulder just like the one he ended stopping on, as he continued along at this high speed.
Safe spot? I mean he pulled over in a way that would have made it impossible to turn his body to threaten the officer, and in a way that he could not easily take off again as he was pointing into the ditch, basically trapping himself. i never said he was looking for a safe spot to pull over. At all.

I don't know how long the "chase" went on and either do you. He deserved to be punished for his crimes accordingly including fines, loss of license and possibly jail.

As far as stupid...that would be your comment "he didn't even apply his brakes until 4 seconds in". Brakes are not much good at 100 mph, and there is this crazy, crazy I tell you, thing called engine braking that comes with motorcycles. That is how you safely slow a bike down from high speed. You do not actually use the brakes, they are a last resort at that speed because they get hot and won't work as well once you get the speed down. And you talk about 4 seconds like it's an eternity.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Safe spot? I mean he pulled over in a way that would have made it impossible to turn his body to threaten the officer, and in a way that he could not easily take off again as he was pointing into the ditch, basically trapping himself. i never said he was looking for a safe spot to pull over. At all.

I don't know how long the "chase" went on and either do you. He deserved to be punished for his crimes accordingly including fines, loss of license and possibly jail.

As far as stupid...that would be your comment "he didn't even apply his brakes until 4 seconds in". Brakes are not much good at 100 mph, and there is this crazy, crazy I tell you, thing called engine braking that comes with motorcycles. That is how you safely slow a bike down from high speed. You do not actually use the brakes, they are a last resort at that speed because they get hot and won't work as well once you get the speed down. And you talk about 4 seconds like it's an eternity.
Hey man I wouldn't be so quick to call other posts stupid considering you were the one claiming repeatedly that he may not have even seen the cops behind him as he nearly killed himself by crossing the center line at a high speed, with lights flashing at night and a siren blaring. And again you act as if the chase started when the video did which is simply nuts. Your right, I do not know exactly how long it went on. But every post you have made on the timeline referenced the 8 seconds as if that's all the time there was with the officer behind the motorcyclist with lights and siren going off. You claimed the victim used these 8 seconds to try to stop as if this was the entire timeline of the event. That's been your position and it's crazy talk.

I rode a motor cycle for 10 years, I know how to slow down and this guy certainly showed no signs of doing that until the last few seconds. Listening to the engine you can hear it was at full throttle for the first few seconds of that clip before he finally started to decelerate. When that clip started he was accelerating so fast he nearly crossed the center line, to claim he was trying to slow down then is simply nonsense.

And again this chase did not start when the video did. You want to string up the cop by making every excuse possible for the rider instead of acknowledging that this was not a routine traffic stop for speeding, he was fleeing the officer. When you run from the cops you usually don't get such a light sentence. I was kind of glad to read that, seems he has paid already with this accidental shooting.

And again a gun is drawn when a perp is a perceived threat. A threat does not mean taking off again, a threat means pulling a gun which is what a guy desperate not to get caught may do. And a rider fleeing so fast it nearly got him killed certainly showed the signs of a desperate man. That is why every officer reacts with guns drawn yet you want to single out this guy.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 01-28-2016 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 07:24 AM

double post

Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Can everyone drive around at 100MPH? Doesn't sound safe to me, and especially not for a rider on 2 wheels without even a piece of fiberglass between him and the pavement.
Oh, but it is sooo much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I rode a motor cycle for 10 years, I know how to slow down and this guy certainly showed no signs of doing that until the last few seconds. Listening to the engine you can hear it was at full throttle for the first few seconds of that clip before he finally started to decelerate. When that clip started he was accelerating so fast he nearly crossed the center line, to claim he was trying to slow down then is simply nonsense.
I think that it is just as unfair to suppose what the rider was doing or wasn't doing. As a fellow rider you know how loud a bike can be especially as you pointed out at full throttle (again that is a guess on your part). And you know that you have to purposefully look in your rear view mirrors. It isn't like a car where the center mirror is going to reflect light. The rider, like in my story, might just have been totally unaware of the cop behind him sirens/lights notwithstanding. The bottom line is he pulled over, stopped, got completely off the road making it safe for him and the officer to conduct business. The only facts that we know are what we saw in the video which is more than enough to make a judgement.

Rider was pulled over for a traffic infraction, cop accidently shoots him, cop was sincerely sorry, life goes on.

Last edited by TheWiseWino; 01-28-2016 at 09:18 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This guy was obviously in the wrong. With that being said I would never want to be a cop. So hard to make split decisions when you are in tense situations, especially after a 100mph chase.

This guy obviously needs training and might need to re-evaluate if he has the nerve to be a cop.
Don't be so quick. Because I will be looking over your shoulder and every time you make a mistake at work, I will deduct 1 week's worth of pay.

The difference is that you don't have the authority to take life and freedom away. You make mistakes within your own line of duty. We are human, not machines.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:03 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Most cops are low IQ school dropouts who attend an academy for couple of months and given power of authority and guns. Yeah, nothing bad could possibly happen.
Good so next time you are in the midst of a home invasion or need first reponder support, I will make sure to intercept any of your calls and advise dispatch that you will self handle.

Hopefully you past finite math or else you may not get out the house alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events