Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:38 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I won't say dirty cop.
Mistakes happen and he made a very dangerous mistake so should be punished accordingly.
Probably, desk job and never out on the field with a gun is more in line but that won't happen.
So if an armed civilian mistakenly shoots a cop due to the same muscle memory, do they get a similar treatment? I.e. A fine, have their license to own a weapon suspended for a month with the exception of target practices at a gun rage? Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 09:40 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Great thread title. This may be one of the best headlines ever. "Muscle memory". LOL. What happened to his brain memory?

Old 01-30-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The word "pigs" disqualifies you from any claim of objectivity. To be honest that's a disgusting post you just wrote. I can't wait for you to be a victim of a crime and call on one of these "pigs" to help you out.
typical response. He is speaking the truth regardless of the way he's parceled the outlined point.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:52 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Cops in the US face far to many psychopaths and stupid people that put every one else at risk. If it weren't for the stupid people we wouldn't need cops. The biker was far exceeding the speed limit and initially failed to stop forcing the cop to escalate a situation he really didn't need to. Yes, the cop made a error but it was precipitated by a stupid person to begin with.
This still doesn't mean that a cop should shoot someone - willingly or not - over a traffic stop and only get a paid week off.

As a minimum, there should have been a thorough investigation by an independent 3rd party, and - if it was found that him drawing his gun was justified in the first place - a mandatory re-training course. And if him getting the gun out was not justified, in accordance with a clearly stated and legally vetted departmental policy, he should be treated the same way I would be treated if I accidentally shot someone with my legally carried gun. The law is the law for everyone, isn't it ? It is there to protect us from both the criminals and the abusive police.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:05 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
typical response. He is speaking the truth regardless of the way he's parceled the outlined point.
Just wondering if you understood the difference between a dirty cop and one who made a terrible mistake. And I'll ask you the same question: how is hating all cops because on the actions of the bad ones any different than the mentality of the racist cop who sees every young black man as a crook based on the actions of other young black men?

Old 01-30-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Just wondering if you understood the difference between a dirty cop and one who made a terrible mistake. And I'll ask you the same question: how is hating all cops because on the actions of the bad ones any different than the mentality of the racist cop who sees every young black man as a crook based on the actions of other young black men?
its funny, here you are questioning someone's comprehension ability when you yourself have time and time again displayed serious deficiency in grasping a simple and very lucid argument.

The point being made has nothing to do with whether or not the cop is clean or dirty. The excuse of muscle memory is ridiculous. #Fact. 2. The penalty for his "mistake" is even worse and certainly an insult to the victim of this "accident." He would have probably gotten a 6 months paid vacation if the individual died on the muscle memory argument alone.

Let's say a law abiding citizen with all the permits in the world inadvertently shoots an officer, will the same lenient "punishment" be tendered or does he get to sit in prison for endangering the life a superior being? Think!!!!! A paid week off is hardly a punishment or an incentive to not repeat the same "mistake"

The law should apply to all parties especially those entrusted with enforcing it. In fact some argue that LEOs should be held to a higher standard. Lastly, I do not hate cops, far from that. We have very intelligent law abiding LEOs in my area. These are not troubled individuals that decided to be cops as a last resort. The community respects them and they have earned it by their actions. Mutual respect all around.

Having said that, I do have a problem with some of the one sided arguments in favor of cops around these parts. When unarmed individuals are getting shot/killed and the killer cops get a slap on the wrist or get off on a technicality someone has to speak on behalf of the dead. Someone has to call a spade a spade.

Btw all you have to do is read posts from a certain cop contributor on this board, to see why the standard for being a police officer is at an all time low in some parts of the country. We have to remind these half wits that our taxes pay their salary and if not for the badge, they'd probably be in prison.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:58 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,024 times
Quote:
its funny, here you are questioning someone's comprehension ability when you yourself have time and time again displayed serious deficiency in grasping a simple and very lucid argument.

The point being made has nothing to do with whether or not the cop is clean or dirty. The excuse of muscle memory is ridiculous. #Fact. 2. The penalty for his "mistake" is even worse and certainly an insult to the victim of this "accident." He would have probably gotten a 6 months paid vacation if the individual died on the muscle memory argument alone.

Let's say a law abiding citizen with all the permits in the world inadvertently shoots an officer, will the same lenient "punishment" be tendered or does he get to sit in prison for endangering the life a superior being? Think!!!!! A paid week off is hardly a punishment or an incentive to not repeat the same "mistake"

The law should apply to all parties especially those entrusted with enforcing it. In fact some argue that LEOs should be held to a higher standard. Lastly, I do not hate cops, far from that. We have very intelligent law abiding LEOs in my area. These are not troubled individuals that decided to be cops as a last resort. The community respects them and they have earned it by their actions. Mutual respect all around.

Having said that, I do have a problem with some of the one sided arguments in favor of cops around these parts. When unarmed individuals are getting shot/killed and the killer cops get a slap on the wrist or get off on a technicality someone has to speak on behalf of the dead. Someone has to call a spade a spade.

Btw all you have to do is read posts from a certain cop contributor on this board, to see why the standard for being a police officer is at an all time low in some parts of the country. We have to remind these half wits that our taxes pay their salary and if not for the badge, they'd probably be in prison.
Excellent post.

Repped

Old 01-30-2016, 12:41 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:

I understood the points and addressed them. While I don't agree with some of the punishments suggested I posted that I could certainly see why some would want him off the streets. And I acknowedged that this double standard is still a real problem. Again I am no cop lover or apologist, I post plenty of critical comments about police abuse. But as I said I look at each event and decide on the evidence. If I were to guess you rarely if ever side with the officer and that screams bias

Regarding the arguments presented and my inability to comprehend them when a poster says "we love our pigs too much to punish them, even the bad ones" or claims a suspension is good and he may seek out another one by shooting another civilian well yeah I'm going to challenge those comments because they are assinine. You appeared to back that comment about pigs hence my post directed at you. Again we have seen many cops held accountable, I listed several examples and there are more. So yeah ask the cops on trial in Baltimore right now if we ever hold cops accountable. Or the officer in SC who is charged with murder. Doesn't happen enough and we both agree this is still a huge problem. But it does happen which again was why I challenged the pig comment.

As that poster later clarified not every cop is a pig, a pig is a dirty cop hence my question to you regarding the difference. There is a huge difference between a cop killing an unarmed man on purpose, then planting a gun to cover his ass and a cop who accidentally shoots an unarmed man, then immediately shows remorse.

Agree?

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 01-30-2016 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-31-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I understood the points and addressed them. While I don't agree with some of the punishments suggested I posted that I could certainly see why some would want him off the streets. And I acknowedged that this double standard is still a real problem. Again I am no cop lover or apologist, I post plenty of critical comments about police abuse. But as I said I look at each event and decide on the evidence. If I were to guess you rarely if ever side with the officer and that screams bias

Regarding the arguments presented and my inability to comprehend them when a poster says "we love our pigs too much to punish them, even the bad ones" or claims a suspension is good and he may seek out another one by shooting another civilian well yeah I'm going to challenge those comments because they are assinine. You appeared to back that comment about pigs hence my post directed at you. Again we have seen many cops held accountable, I listed several examples and there are more. So yeah ask the cops on trial in Baltimore right now if we ever hold cops accountable. Or the officer in SC who is charged with murder. Doesn't happen enough and we both agree this is still a huge problem. But it does happen which again was why I challenged the pig comment.

As that poster later clarified not every cop is a pig, a pig is a dirty cop hence my question to you regarding the difference. There is a huge difference between a cop killing an unarmed man on purpose, then planting a gun to cover his ass and a cop who accidentally shoots an unarmed man, then immediately shows remorse.

Agree?
Just getting back to this thread. Sorry about that. I too contribute based on the events. In fact, I do more reading than posting when time permits. The only reason I became an active participant in this particular section of CD is because of the perceived extreme disdain towards civilians by current and retired LEOs members (and their sympathizers). So most of my posts on thread related to police brutality is done in an effort to dispel arguments that are bereft of logic. It's very difficult for some of us to see how daft and incompetent those hired to protect and serve our community are; especially since being a police office was once a profession for smart, honorable law abiding citizens.

Anyway, I digress, I didn't care about his wording. I was more focused on the message. People around here tend to throw out terms: pigs, thugs, domestic terrorists, muzzies(heard about this in one of the reps I got) etc. I've learned to ignore the fluff and focus on the point. So please don't caught up in labels. As for the topic at hand, I guess we are saying the same thing. So let's move on. Enjoy your day.

%

Old 01-31-2016, 11:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
See this is the stuff that drives me nuts. America is not only hinting that there is a problem we are standing up and demanding change. 6 officers are currently on trial in Baltimore for the Freddie Gray death. Another in SC is in jail on murder charges after the world saw him shoot an unarmed man, then plant a gun. A quick Google search Of Police Arrested for Murder found a ton of hits.

We all agree it's still a big problem. But it's getting better with cell phone footage now capturing the bad behavior. Still a long way to go and no doubt they play by a different set of rules. And I get it, arrest is not a conviction. But you need to stop with this BS that cops never get in trouble. And yes some are actually convicted.
How many are convicted? The "arrest" is completely for show as many prosecutors know the officers arrested and rely on their colleagues to get convictions on other cases. They just need to "arrest" the officers for appearances. That's why you should provide examples of police arrested vs. convicted and non-Police arrested vs convicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events