Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 02:07 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,540,796 times

Advertisements

Baby Dolphin Dies After Argentinos Pass It Around For Selfies

too long? too truthful.

Can you blame them for trying to blame it on tourists?

Japan is like "What, it was probably research, just like us they wanted to see how long it could live out of the water. Purely scientific... although we cant let it go to waste. amirite?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 03:15 PM

888 posts, read 558,196 times
I don't get any of this now with the claims they didn't kill it. There was a video of an alive dolphin swimming, a guy took it from the water and it was moving, alive, and put it on the ground and everyone went over and swarmed around and starting taking pictures.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:38 PM

102,314 posts, read 108,503,109 times
That wouldn't happen on parts of the California coast, and the Pac NW. There are volunteer organizations devoted to patrolling the beaches to keep an eye out for stranded cetaceans (whales, dolphins), to protect them from the public, make sure they get proper assistance, and to educate the public about them.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:44 PM

1,548 posts, read 917,261 times
It's a freakin' mammal, jesus, can't it be out of the water for a few minutes? Even fish can be out of the water for a period of time and survive.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:48 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,999,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Which makes them tourists...just like when people come to my beach town for vacation in the summer, they are tourists regardless of whether they live 30 minutes away or 2500 miles. What on earth is your definition of a tourist?
Take a chill pill.

I don't know why you are asking me "what on earth" is my the definition of tourist when I said that they were probably all tourists. People mentioned other countries, I just said I only heard argentinian accents, simply implying they were not international tourists.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:02 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,999,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I agree, more or less

The dictionary definition of the term tourist is so broad it could include anyone that goes to beach for pleasure. The practical definition of the term is quite different, no reasonable person would call someone from Philadelphia that travels for the day to the Jersey Shore, or from Denver that travels for the day to Vail, to be a tourist. And there is a certain affluence implied by the term Tourist.

The use of the term tourist implied it was a first world problem, the ugly American (or euros) taking selfies at the expensive of local wild life. The tourist characterization made the story more viral. If the title of the story was "Argentinians Kill Rare Baby Dolphin Taking Selfies" we would not have a thread about it. fwiw, I don't think the use of the term tourist was a conspiracy to shame Americans or euros, just a typical media effort to increase a story's shock value.
I personally believe they were argentinian tourists, not locals driving a few miles to their nearest beach.

I think the way these vacations work is not just like going to the beach for the day. People have to drive hundreds of miles and they stay in resorts and hotels. I believe this place is more than 200 miles from the capital, Buenos Aires.

I am from another country in South America and that's how our vacations went. We used to read a lot of argentinian magazines and comics and I recall it was the same way for them.

And what you think it's shock value I think unfortunately it's the truth. These people were probably affluent and more frivolous than we wish they were. The dolphin was at the wrong place with the wrong people, a bunch of idiots who happened to be all at the same place by chance. I doubt they represent the average Argentinian, they just represent the average self-absorbed social media user.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:15 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,113,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Just when you think people couldnt get any dumber. I swear, IQ's get lower and lower with each passing generation.
I agree...the movie Idiocracy feels like it could be a documentary.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:55 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,639,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
It's a freakin' mammal, jesus, can't it be out of the water for a few minutes? Even fish can be out of the water for a period of time and survive.
I agree, it had to be on its way out already. Taking a picture with a mammal shouldn't kill it.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:06 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,492,439 times
Well if it was already dead, I guess that's a relief, unfortunately. If it was alive, it probably would've been going in shock being tossed around and surrounded like that. That and well the fact that it was out of water.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:25 PM

250 posts, read 1,120,971 times
Looked lifeless and dead from the get go to me. What's all the hub-bub about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events