Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Exactly. #1 it was a service dog and #2 the plane had already been delayed 90 minutes so I am sure the people were applauding the plane finally leaving.

The airline did all it could to help the family now the family is looking for its 15 minutes of fame and is blowing it all out of proportion.
After a lengthily delay, it is customary for passengers to clap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 08:33 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoLair View Post
I can believe clapping they're glad to finally get off the ground. I have a hard time believing this story because there's been one too many stories where the parents cry victim, then later the real story comes out where they're not as sympathetic as they'd like to paint themselves.

I am curious however, it's stated that they were previously unaware of the boy's dog allergy, how did they zero in on the dog allergy on this flight?

I also suspect that people were clapping because the plane was going to take off after a 90 minute delay. I bet that a lot of people had already missed or were going to miss connecting flights or had people waiting for them at their destination.

It is hard to believe that a 7 year old child would not have known that he had a dog allergy. Hasn't he been around dogs before?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Has doggy worship gone too far? I mean seriously!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ction-to-pets/
Schaefer said. She said she couldn’t confirm whether people applauded the boy’s departure — or, if people did applaud, whether it might have been because they were relieved the flight would be airborne soon after a delay of 90 minutes or so.

So, we aren't "Sure" that passengers were clapping at all. Or that many of the passengers didn't know what the "Reason" for the delay was and thus when told "We have cleared the issue and now we can leave" Well, after 90 min I'd be kind of happy to be on my way....Only if I didn't know the reason for the "Delay"

Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I agree with above, passengers usually break out in claps after long delays and the like.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:52 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Yeah, it's very probable that it was an innocent situation where passengers were just happy to get going, and the family (or the reporters) is milking this for all it's worth.
Btw, I'm 100 % behind anyone who truly has a need for a true service dog where their very day to day functionality is dependent on them.
So yeah, I probably got suckered... but with today's emotional companion goats and snakes etc. can you blame me? .
I have a neighbor downstairs who has such a service animal. A big barking lunging pit bull with his balls still attached. Management wont dare question her due to fear of a lawsuit, because she apparently showed them "a note".

Old 02-25-2016, 11:02 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I am the owner of a service dog. I once was asked, "but what about the people with allergies to a dog? Do they have to leave the store because you come in?" I had no answer for that woman. And I do still think about it. It's a dilemma. On the one hand is a person whose life/safety depends on the dog's presence and on the other hand is a person whose health is negatively impacted by that presence.

I have no solution. I need my dog. I also care about others and do not wish those with allergies to suffer as I have and still do when hit with a trigger.
Although I know people who need service dogs, the acceptance has gone overboard.

Recently I was in a grocery store, and Mrs. Granny Bluehair had her precious dog-person in there. I complained and she told me it was her "service dog". Now, my BS detector is well honed, so I asked her for certification. She told me to "F" off.

Maybe next time that precious dog-person will wear the toe of my size 13 shoe a few times by 'accident'. Like every time my cart gets near it. By accident of course. A few times. By accident.

I can't stand the abuse of 'disabilities' when there are so many people with real disabilities. I feel the same when people abuse disabled parking.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:02 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
I've been on many flights that were delayed for so long that people burst into applause when the plane finally did start for takeoff.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:10 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
A doctor went on the airplane and diagnosed the itch as being caused by the dog? But was it really caused by the dog? Doctors aren't always right, are they?

Old 02-25-2016, 11:30 PM

417 posts, read 345,541 times
I know it was a service dog, however I have been on flights where grandma or princess have there small little dogs on there laps and I just can't help and think, when has animals rights to not be in the cargo area of the plane, become more important then the people with Allergy's?

Old 02-26-2016, 02:58 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053
Obviously, it was best for the boy to leave the plane, but why should passengers clap when he left - apparently the airline thinks that they could have just been clapping because they were glad the plane would finally get off the ground, not because of the boy's distress.
I dont think they were clapping to be mean..... This boy was aware enough to realise he had a problem with dogs (Allergy) and he took it upon himself to leave..... (I would clap also....... He didnt make a fuss trying to get the dog off the plane)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events