Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:03 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Exactly, I totally agree. One thing I've seen which is one of the most contemptible and morally disgusting outrageous to me is the almost worship of pets I see. Dog owners are the worst, although sometimes cat owners can be a bit nuts too. The right-wing persons (I'm not being ugly, I at times agree with much of what they speak about) are real big on the "perversion of right and wrong" with respect to the homosexual agenda, but to me pet worship is every bit its equal.

Now, on the other hand, I will tell you that when I'm in "travel mode" I don't like ANY delays AT ALL. My sympathies towards a person's situation is gone once I'm horribly inconvenienced. As I mentioned in another thread, I even oppose the practice of funeral processions and especially the idea that one is supposed to pull over for them out of "respect" even if it's not "upon you" yet. I'm sorry, but to me the roads are for GETTING SOMEWHERE, and NOTHING ELSE. I'd most certainly be the same way about flying.

That said, yes, this idea that humans should have to yield to the right of way to a dang-blanged dog, that's perverted. As for "service dogs," unless they can PROVE that's what they are, they should be shown the door too. "My therapist says I need it" please. The burden of proof should be on the one who claims to "need" it.

THIS in spades.

Abuse of "special needs" is rampant. It needs to stop, and more of us need to speak up about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 12:26 PM

40 posts, read 42,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Except that this boy wasn't even known to be "allergic" to dogs until he got on that plane that happened to have a service dog on it. That's the part that doesn't ring true here. That the child would have a severe enough reaction from a short time in the same passenger cabin as the dog to immediately develop hives makes the parents' claim that he was allergic to the dog and that they didn't know it seem very suspicious.

My admittedly very mild allergy to tree pollen makes me stuffy and teary-eyed. I think that most people who are allergic to air-borne allergens tend to have symptoms that affect them the same way in various degrees. Itching and hives, though, suggests closer contact with an allergen than just being near it, including touching and/or ingesting it.

I think the parents were looking for more than just their 15 minutes of fame, and they apparently got it as Southwest is going to grace them with a Disney vacation.

I was never allergic and didn't even know I was until I suddenly broke out in hives, face swelled, fainted and lost consciousness. So it's possible they did not know.

I think they have more urgent problems like their father dying of cancer than trying to get free stuff and 15 mins of fame.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:40 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
IMO, the service dog trumps the allergy, IF it's a true need such as blindness or diabetes and not for "mental health". For the blind person, they cannot walk without the dog. For the allergy sufferer, it's just a temporary comfort issue.
Well, allergic reactions CAN be life threatening. But IMO it's incumbent on the allergy suffer( or those responsible for him) to remove him from the offending allergen ASAP, and get him medical attention instead of sitting still, let the person suffer, while they demand the offending allergen be located and removed. If that kid is allergic to dogs, removing the dog might not have been enough to stop the attack, many people allergic to animals will continue to react to the presence of fur, dander left even after the critter is gone. It's that way in our family with cats. And speaking of that, I can't say how happy I am that there are no "service" cats,

Old 02-26-2016, 12:49 PM

902 posts, read 1,103,789 times
pets of any kind.... cats, dogs, monkeys, etc should not be allowed in the passenger cabin of commercial airlines (excluding service animals)

there is an area below for live animals in airline approved containers adjacent to the cargo hold

Last edited by azsportpilot; 02-26-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 01:06 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, allergic reactions CAN be life threatening. But IMO it's incumbent on the allergy suffer( or those responsible for him) to remove him from the offending allergen ASAP
Exactly. A disabled person with a service dog has just as much right to be on the planes as that brat's selfish parents. If they can't cope with that, too f**king bad. Nobody forced them to fly in the first place.

As for the wannabe tough guys in this thread who claim they'd kick a dog, beat an old woman or "demand papers" from a disabled person with a service animal, please just ****. Nobody in this thread believes you have the stones to do anything of the sort.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:47 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
I saw this in the news the other day. All I can say is I hope those morons who clapped can be human and offer their apologies to the boy and his dying father. But, as I know modern society all too well, these idiots are probably bragging about it to their friends, and will remain anonymous, just so they dont have to face up to their rotten mistake.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It is disgusting to have a fur bearing animal among fresh food. BTW, it is not the old lady I would kick... that is assault and illegal. It is her lil' precious mutt that would yelp, as accidents do happen when critters wander around my feet. Oooooppps.

Yeah, I know, it is a bit childish, and I would not truly hurt the dog, but certainly I am not above causing Granny Bluehair thinking I did. I just get so angry at those who abuse the system for their own selfish reasons.

Well, you have to know that there are also any numbers of local laws and ordinances against abusing an animal too. In the event you really do feel an urge to kick ( or even fake kick) little Sammi Service mutt, sending Granny into apoplexy, you might find yourself on the wrong end of an animal abuse charge.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I saw this in the news the other day. All I can say is I hope those morons who clapped can be human and offer their apologies to the boy and his dying father. But, as I know modern society all too well, these idiots are probably bragging about it to their friends, and will remain anonymous, just so they dont have to face up to their rotten mistake.
My, aren't we sanctimonious? I'd imagine those folks were just happy to off the ground and maybe hope they could still make their connecting flights after the long delay. And have, in fact, moved on and not given the incident another thought.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:09 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Well, you have to know that there are also any numbers of local laws and ordinances against abusing an animal too. In the event you really do feel an urge to kick ( or even fake kick) little Sammi Service mutt, sending Granny into apoplexy, you might find yourself on the wrong end of an animal abuse charge.
Oh my goodness, how could an accidental brushing away of a critter that was at my feet, a totally unexpected event in a grocery store, possibly be considered a criminal act. I mean, can anyone be expected to visualize a rat, cat or dog wandering the aisles while I look at my pampelmouse? It would be a sub-conscious reaction due to the total surprise of the unexpected.

Every. Single. Time.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:19 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,663 times
Quote:
If the poster does this in a stand your ground state, they might find themselves looking at the business end of a gun shortly before their miserable life is taken from them legally. Confronting an elderly woman and kicking her dog presents a pretty clear cut case of reasonable fear of death or serious injury.

The poster also better make sure they and their vehicle cannot be identified or they may come face to face with a large and extremely angry grandson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events