Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 PM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
.......... but I don’t think most people deliberately decide they just don’t feel like paying rent anymore.

You would be surprised. Christmas is always a difficult time for landlords because so many tenants place higher value on buying presents over paying the rent. That's a deliberate choice to not pay the rent.

Too many tenants think they can pay other bills and pay for their play before they pay the rent if anything is left over. That's a deliberate choice to not pay the rent.

It's rather common for tenants who have decided to move to try to get a couple of free months at the end. That's a deliberate choice to not pay the rent.

Some tenants file false reports with housing in a deliberate attempt to not pay the rent.

And any tenant going through an eviction has made a deliberate choice to try to get free rent instead of making arrangements to move out when they know they won't have the money to pay the rent, instead of forcing the landlord to hire a lawyer and take them to court..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,858,970 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with that. I’m not saying in any way landlords should let people stay without rent. I’m saying those that don’t are most frequently people who have fallen on hard times. So to come by with some drive-by snotty sounding statement “Just pay your rent and problem solved” are showing ignorance of the reality of situation. It is seldom anything so simple that a drive by quip can solve.

And you've conveniently missed the part where choices have been made by tenants to spend on frivolities, while letting the rent slide.

Any landlord can attest to that being a fact--not a "drive-by quip."

Old 07-02-2019, 08:29 PM

17,404 posts, read 22,152,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
It's an interesting article, but it doesn't seem to really touch on the bigger points of evictions. One, renting a house they can't afford, and two, not paying the rent.
I have never rented anything residential. I have only had commercial property that I have leased.

If I was worried about eviction, you have at least 30 days to consider options before your junk is in the street. In most places I suspect you are at 60 days or maybe 90. I have ZERO empathy for people that don't pay their rent and I have never owned any rental property. Landlord provides a place, tenant pays the rent.....cut and dry, you pay then you stay.

I get that people get in a jam, lose jobs, run into financial issues but those problems should not become the landlord's problem.

My personal perspective: I paid off the house I own last year, paid it off 8 months early (15 yr mtg). Bank loaned me the cash, I made the payments, now it is paid off. Simple deal just like paying rent. If both parties do what they say then there is never a problem.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 PM

17,404 posts, read 22,152,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And you've conveniently missed the part where choices have been made by tenants to spend on frivolities, while letting the rent slide.

Bingo!...... How many people got evicted with their Iphone X in their hand?

Old 07-02-2019, 09:03 PM

50,980 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

I don’t think most of the people are doing it out of choice. Many are hard working people who always paid bills on time until a cancer diagnosis or a job loss. Again I am not in any way implying they shouldn’t still be evicted, of course the landlord has to evict. But I do object to painting families with this broad brush. Many Americans are one illness or job loss away from being homeless.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:39 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,532,295 times
Quote:
I don’t think most of the people are doing it out of choice. Many are hard working people who always paid bills on time until a cancer diagnosis or a job loss. Again I am not in any way implying they shouldn’t still be evicted, of course the landlord has to evict. But I do object to painting families with this broad brush. Many Americans are one illness or job loss away from being homeless.
If someone gets really sick, the 1st thing they should be doing is going to their bank and applying for credit card or loan, if they dont have the savings to cover rent. Do it before you get behind on bills. (Acually, they shouldnt have been renting something with a pmt so high that they couldnt have a few months savings in the bank.)
If you lose your job, go get ANY job to tide you over...fast food, call center, etc.
Then if you know that you can't pay rent, go to your ll and tell them the situation and give notice, and leave the place immaculate. If you have to rent a dive that is affordable do that. Or move in with family or froends or a homeless shelter. What you DON'T do is continue to live in the rental house and not pay rent until you are evicted.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,489,236 times
A landlord can't just "throw someone out to the street". It's a long, legal process for which the landlord doesn't get paid.

Hubby once wanted to buy a house, fix it up and rent it out. I talked him out of it. I knew his heart wouldn't take the stress. Nor mine. I don't know how landlords do it. Too many people today are pigs without a conscience.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
A landlord can't just "throw someone out to the street". It's a long, legal process for which the landlord doesn't get paid.

Hubby once wanted to buy a house, fix it up and rent it out. I talked him out of it. I knew his heart wouldn't take the stress. Nor mine. I don't know how landlords do it. Too many people today are pigs without a conscience.
I had one who lived rent free for over six months while dragging out the eviction process. Sure, I got a judgement, but she skipped the state and finds ways to live without working. She had been a somewhat long-term tenant who had a few problems here and there but nothing like the end. I think she did lose a job, but there were Help Wanted signs everywhere. No health issues beyond alcoholism.

She left a couple of half-feral cats that we never could trap get spayed/neutered. It took them a couple of years to slowly die. We left food out, but there's a caveat to that that most people don't understand — the food attracts predators.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:35 AM

5,465 posts, read 6,085,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Bingo!...... How many people got evicted with their Iphone X in their hand?

My neighbor with 32 rental units can attest to this fact! Rent is almost always the first thing they stop paying because they know the law will bend over backwards to allow them several months before the eviction actually takes place. iPhones, cars, TV's, cable or internet, etc all get repossessed or turned off immediately, but lock a tenant out of the rental because of 3 months back rent and all hell breaks loose for the landlord.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:05 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,646,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
My neighbor with 32 rental units can attest to this fact! Rent is almost always the first thing they stop paying because they know the law will bend over backwards to allow them several months before the eviction actually takes place. iPhones, cars, TV's, cable or internet, etc all get repossessed or turned off immediately, but lock a tenant out of the rental because of 3 months back rent and all hell breaks loose for the landlord.
Actually, with cars, it usually takes about 3-4 months of non payment before repossession happens.

Also cable tv/internet, I was a few days late paying my bill last month and called to make sure I would be ok, they said, "Oh yes, your service would not be turned off until 2 or 3 months had gone by with no payment".

Even with cell phones (the ones on contract anyway), it takes awhile before they are actually turned off, I found out about this when I got divorced, my ex wife was able to use her cell phone for about 3 months after we stopped paying the bill (she wasnt paying it either).She basically got 3 months of service for free!

2-3 months seems to be the time frame from what Ive seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events