Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:09 AM

56 posts, read 68,905 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/bu...pgtype=article

Quote:
Nearly a decade has passed since an aspiring young lawyer in California, Anna Alaburda, graduated in the top tier of her class, passed the state bar exam and set out to use the law degree she had spent about $150,000 to acquire.

But on Monday, in a San Diego courtroom, she will tell a story that has become all too familiar among law students in the United States: Since graduating from the Thomas Jefferson School of Law in 2008, she has yet to find a full-time salaried job as a lawyer.

From there, though, her story has taken an unusual twist: Ms. Alaburda, 37, is the first former law student whose case against a law school, charging that it inflated the employment data for its graduates as a way to lure students to enroll, will go to trial.

Other disgruntled students have tried to do the same. In the last several years, 15 lawsuits have sought to hold various law schools accountable for publicly listing information critics say was used to pump up alumni job numbers by counting part-time waitress and other similar, full-time jobs as employment. Only one suit besides Ms. Alaburda’s remains active.

None of the other cases reached trial because judges in Illinois, Michigan and New York, where several cases were filed, generally concluded that law students had opted for legal education at their own peril, and were sophisticated enough to have known that employment as a lawyer was not guaranteed.

But a California judge let Ms. Alaburda’s suit proceed, brushing aside efforts by the law school to derail her claims.

“It has taken five years,” said her lawyer, Brian A. Procel of Los Angeles. “But this will be the first time a law school will be on trial to defend its public employment figures.”

Ms. Alaburda’s day in court will take on added meaning: These will be her first public words after years of silence while she pursued a remedy for a legal education gone wrong.

She now has student debt of $170,000, with loan interest around 8 percent. Her law degree was not a ticket to a stable, well-paying career, but an expensive detour before she went on to work in a series of part-time positions, mostly temporary jobs reviewing documents for law firms.

As her debt mounted and her job prospects faltered, she filed a lawsuit in 2011, arguing that she would not have enrolled at Thomas Jefferson if she had known the law school’s statistics were misleading.
More at link.

Personally I find it ridiculous. Just because you graduate doesn't guarantee you a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 03:16 AM

140 posts, read 124,846 times
Her point is the fraud of padded statistics. Mark Twain always comes to mind when thinking of statistics. Twain said," there is lies, then dam lies and then statistics. If she can prove this then she will win.

Years ago Lawyers were assured a high wage. Today very few make that. It's an over saturated field. Also it's not a very hard degree to get like say an actuary. Actuary unemployment rate is zero.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:16 AM

40,954 posts, read 49,234,730 times
It's in California where everyone is a victim. She may just win her case.

Probably could not find the so called High Salary position she thought she deserved. Forget starting out at the bottom and earning your promotions.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:48 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,585,723 times
I'm not certain how I feel about this. On the one hand, I've long thought law schools were a bit of a scam. Nonetheless, everyone (presumedly) going in has researched the legal field and employment situation in advance.

If the school did indeed misrepresent or use false statistics, that does not look good.

On the other hand, the report states that Ms. Alaburda was offered — and turned down — a law firm job with a $60,000 salary shortly after she graduated.

Interesting.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:02 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,697,907 times
Beware! This scam is a common practice among many many well respected universities. The practice of greatly overstating the value of the degrees they offer. This practice is not limited to law degrees but includes a variety of degrees in other fields of study. A possible student must do the groundwork research in the public sector to find the possible practical application of a field of study prior to spending the first dollar.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:46 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,001,595 times
This is like me moving to Hollywood and taking some acting lessons and then crying fowl when I don't become the next Brad Pitt.

However, if she can prove that the statistics were falsified, she might be able to get some of her money back. The problem with a judgment is that at the end of the day, she still has her law degree and she is a certified lawyer (passed the bar, etc). So, say she gets the court to award her a judgment of X dollars, but a week later, she finds a job making 6 figures. Why should the school be required to pay her anything now that she has found work?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 AM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
This is like me moving to Hollywood and taking some acting lessons and then crying fowl when I don't become the next Brad Pitt.

However, if she can prove that the statistics were falsified, she might be able to get some of her money back. The problem with a judgment is that at the end of the day, she still has her law degree and she is a certified lawyer (passed the bar, etc). So, say she gets the court to award her a judgment of X dollars, but a week later, she finds a job making 6 figures. Why should the school be required to pay her anything now that she has found work?
It's been 10 years. Her loans are also much more now than when she graduated. Don't forget too she was at the top of her class. To me this is not any different than going to an ortho who talks you into surgery by showing you stats that they have a 98% success rate with this surgery, when in reality the success rate is only 48%, but they pad it so more people will agree to get the surgery...sounds much worse in that case, doesn't it? It is not really different in terms of the ethics involved.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:26 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,826,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/bu...pgtype=article

More at link.

Personally I find it ridiculous. Just because you graduate doesn't guarantee you a job.
It's unfortunate that you didn't bother to read your own link. The issue isn't about anyone being guaranteed a job (strawman, much?); it's about the law school putting forth false job placement statistics in order to entice potential students.

But, hey, I guess some people think it's unfair to expect a place that charges an average of $263k (yes, that's right - over a quarter million $) for a three-year law degree not to use inaccurate data as part of their pitch. And that's what I find ridiculous.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:40 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,337,431 times
Maybe she'll win on the statistics manipulation, but there are plenty of resources to find this information about schools like this one. Being an attorney is no longer as lucrative and the field is over saturated.

It's hard for me to feel badly for a college graduate and law school applicant who didn't seem to do ANY research on this law school, the legal profession and current employment statistics. If she had she wouldn't of picked this place to begin with.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:45 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,534,529 times
Law school gets sued by alumna. Isn't that poetic justice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events