Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 AM

774 posts, read 747,030 times

Advertisements

What she means is that no one offered her a 200K job out of the starting gate and she's mad about it. Princess thought that showing up to class every day was paying her dues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 09:15 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,339,210 times
If she really cared about paying off her loans she would of taken the $60k. Apparently having the "right" job is more important than having ANY job. What did she do during law school, most people intern in legal offices and network, network and network.

She could get a legal job at a non-profit and look into the program that will help pay your loans if you work for a non-profit.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:48 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,928,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/bu...pgtype=article

More at link.

Personally I find it ridiculous. Just because you graduate doesn't guarantee you a job.
if she was any good, she would have moved beyond temp document review jobs at these firms to a full time associate position

degree is no guarantee, it just gets you in the door...sometimes

the market is saturated though

Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,928,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
If she really cared about paying off her loans she would of taken the $60k. Apparently having the "right" job is more important than having ANY job. What did she do during law school, most people intern in legal offices and network, network and network.

She could get a legal job at a non-profit and look into the program that will help pay your loans if you work for a non-profit.
first year law students are told they HAVE to get experience as well...legal temping/clerk...something

every successful lawyer I know was working for a law firm when they finished law school and took the bar...YOU HAVE to get experience along with the degree

Old 03-09-2016, 10:13 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times
So she has had numerous temp positions in the last 8 years. And still hasn't received a single job offer? Or has she not received one to her liking? She's already Miss Picky Pants. She was offered a job paying $60K a year and that wasn't good enough.

Stupid crap like this is what's wrong with our legal system. Cases like this nonsense are the reason it takes years to get to trial. The courts are full of this crap.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:53 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,736,299 times
I seriously do not see how she gets past the fact that she was offered a legal job at 60K.

I do think there needs to be some accountability for law schools implying that their graduates will be able to earn a living. However, it doesn't take a Mensa member to realize you shouldn't go to a bottom tier law school and expect much of anything with that degree. If you can't get into a top 50 law school (I might be wiling to stretch it to top 100), don't bother going. It will be a complete waste of time and money, and you would be way better off doing something else.

The legal field has been oversaturated since the 1990s. But instead of limiting law school spots, law schools took more students than ever, and a bunch of crappy new law schools opened up. The ABA never should have accredited more law schools, but hey, more lawyers means more money for them. A couple of decades of law schools pumping more and more law grads into an already saturated market has resulted in exactly what one should expect: unemployable law degree holders.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:33 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,467,918 times
"According to the law professor blog The Faculty Lounge, 28.8% of the Class of 2012 was employed in full-time"

Seems like this is one of the worst law schools in the nation........

Old 03-09-2016, 03:30 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,587,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
This is like me moving to Hollywood and taking some acting lessons and then crying fowl...
How would that sound?

****-a-doodle-do!

Cluck, Cluck, Cluck!

Caaaw, Caaaw!

Quaaaack, Quaaaak!

Old 03-09-2016, 03:37 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,587,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I think it is an interesting case.

There are quite a few post-graduate and/or professional schools (not just law schools) that inflate their employment statistics to justify their insanely high tuition and beef up their accreditation, especially for-profit institutions. They should be held accountable.

It's easy to blame the plaintiff in this scenario. She says she entered this law school and paid its hefty fees because of its "prestige" - which she found did not exist when she tried to enter the profession post-graduation, despite her apparently sterling academic performance.

She is claiming the institution was duplicitous in charging "Tier 1" tuition for what turned out to be a Tier 3 or 4 degree.

The "harm" is that she incurred a huge financial burden on the college's promise (in the form of falsified employment and salary statistics) of quick and lucrative employment based on its "prestige." She will doubtless argue that she could have attended a less-prestigious institution for a lower cost (and a reduced economic burden) for the same outcome.

She isn't blaming the law school for the bad job legal job market, and it won't be a much of a factor.

She is blaming them - and attempting to hold them accountable for - lying.

It's a smart move.

The case will hinge on how much of their data was falsified and whether the plaintiff can prove it. If duplicity is the basis of her argument, then things like her motivation or the depressed job market won't matter much.

If TJLS can't provide quantifiable evidence of in the form of alumna with well-remunerated legal employment, they might lose.

I think what may hurt the plaintiff is the fact that TJSL's tuition is far lower than, say, Stanford or USC. That alone signals that they weren't exactly pretending to be Harvard.

But then she isn't claiming much, damage wise, which may work in her favor. Seeking lower damages - basically the amount she is in debt for her tuition, instead of an inflated amount based on "pain and suffering incurred due to the inability to practice her profession, provide for her family, etc., " will help persuade a jury that the lawsuit is based strictly on principle.
Nice post. I was thinking the same, but, too busy to post as much. My son recently graduated from college, and is (or, I am) fortunate that he was able to have paid for 3 years of his undergrad with scholarships and has a fellowship with stipend now in grad school. Nonetheless, I am acutely aware of the cost associated with university, both under and grad schools, and I can imagine that many schools are watching the present case with at least a bit of anxious interest!

Old 03-09-2016, 10:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,532,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I agree with her. Law schools have been cooking their employment numbers for years. It's fraud plain and simple. Law schools are not the only ones doing this. I hear schools push degrees and majors all the time using false promises and employment numbers. It needs to stop.
Even if the statistics were wrong, they were not a promise or guarantee of future employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events