Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:53 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,837,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/bu...pgtype=article

More at link.

Personally I find it ridiculous. Just because you graduate doesn't guarantee you a job.
Yes I agree Had the school been a ivy league school but in this case, it was more like the legal version of Everest College for Lawyers.......

But still in this case, she's got to find the right jury. Get someone on welfare, poor and a lousy student that blames others and not their own stupidity X 12, then she's got a chance to win...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 10:54 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,338,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Maybe she'll win on the statistics manipulation, but there are plenty of resources to find this information about schools like this one. Being an attorney is no longer as lucrative and the field is over saturated.

It's hard for me to feel badly for a college graduate and law school applicant who didn't seem to do ANY research on this law school, the legal profession and current employment statistics. If she had she wouldn't of picked this place to begin with.
I agree with this. It was (and is) an unranked law school. That doesn't mean they get to lie about their employment stats and conflate legal and not-legal employment but in the status conscious legal world, everyone is well aware that where you go to school has a very large impact on your potential future employment and the lion's share of the most desirable jobs will go to the graduates of the more prestigious, highly ranked schools.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:04 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,648,238 times
I agree with her. Law schools have been cooking their employment numbers for years. It's fraud plain and simple. Law schools are not the only ones doing this. I hear schools push degrees and majors all the time using false promises and employment numbers. It needs to stop.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:25 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,347,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I agree with her. Law schools have been cooking their employment numbers for years. It's fraud plain and simple. Law schools are not the only ones doing this. I hear schools push degrees and majors all the time using false promises and employment numbers. It needs to stop.
Can you give me some examples or articles about many law schools cooking their enrollment numbers?

I didn't go to law school, never wanted to. But I still know that it's a bad decision unless you're going to a top school. Again, the woman should have done her research. It's no one elses fault but hers.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:25 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,910,859 times
Just law schools? Every school has been padding, well, being a bit disingenuous with their employment numbers. Just look at the numbers of people who graduated from universities and who end up back in the same positions they had before college, like retail and fast food.

I think the schools are putting on BS, but also this student knows that merely having a degree is not a guarantee for finding a job in the specific field; this student is trying to take advantage of this employment number reporting and using it to her advantage.

If she wins, this will really open the door up as there are tens of thousands of people who are struggling to find employment they intended when they got their degree. Her winning this would be no different than anyone with any other degree from any other school.

We are in a time where even Harvard law graduates are finding trouble getting work, let alone a tier 4 law school grad.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:54 AM

18,568 posts, read 15,687,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
This is like me moving to Hollywood and taking some acting lessons and then crying fowl when I don't become the next Brad Pitt.

However, if she can prove that the statistics were falsified, she might be able to get some of her money back. The problem with a judgment is that at the end of the day, she still has her law degree and she is a certified lawyer (passed the bar, etc). So, say she gets the court to award her a judgment of X dollars, but a week later, she finds a job making 6 figures. Why should the school be required to pay her anything now that she has found work?
They should still reimburse the interest, even in that case.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:56 AM

658 posts, read 850,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/bu...pgtype=article

More at link.

Personally I find it ridiculous. Just because you graduate doesn't guarantee you a job.
My friend is an attorney and she had difficulty finding employment in The US , but instead of suing, she improvised and moved to the US territory of The Virgin Islands. She's now an attorney there and is doing quite well. There's no one size fits all, but my friend did what she had to do to pay back those loans and to have an income.

Last edited by KeraKera; 03-08-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 12:55 PM

10,948 posts, read 5,800,051 times
IANAL, but I think this fact would make it rather difficult for her to prevail:

Quote:
Thomas Jefferson’s lawyers will argue that Ms. Alaburda never incurred any actual injury, because she was offered — and turned down — a law firm job with a $60,000 salary shortly after she graduated.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:23 PM

19,929 posts, read 12,220,001 times
She elected to get her degree from a bottom of the barrel law school and is suing because she only received one job offer which she turned down? Most employers would want their attorneys to be bright enough to do a little research on their own before making such a huge commitment.

Acceptance rate: 82.6%. Bottom 10%

Median LSAT. 144. Bottom 10%

Median Undergraduate GPA. 2.74. Bottom 10%

Employment rate of graduates. 59.7%. Bottom 10%

Bar pass rate. 49%. Bottom 10%

Old 03-08-2016, 01:47 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,500,622 times
I think it is an interesting case.

There are quite a few post-graduate and/or professional schools (not just law schools) that inflate their employment statistics to justify their insanely high tuition and beef up their accreditation, especially for-profit institutions. They should be held accountable.

It's easy to blame the plaintiff in this scenario. She says she entered this law school and paid its hefty fees because of its "prestige" - which she found did not exist when she tried to enter the profession post-graduation, despite her apparently sterling academic performance.

She is claiming the institution was duplicitous in charging "Tier 1" tuition for what turned out to be a Tier 3 or 4 degree.

The "harm" is that she incurred a huge financial burden on the college's promise (in the form of falsified employment and salary statistics) of quick and lucrative employment based on its "prestige." She will doubtless argue that she could have attended a less-prestigious institution for a lower cost (and a reduced economic burden) for the same outcome.

She isn't blaming the law school for the bad job legal job market, and it won't be a much of a factor.

She is blaming them - and attempting to hold them accountable for - lying.

It's a smart move.

The case will hinge on how much of their data was falsified and whether the plaintiff can prove it. If duplicity is the basis of her argument, then things like her motivation or the depressed job market won't matter much.

If TJLS can't provide quantifiable evidence of in the form of alumna with well-remunerated legal employment, they might lose.

I think what may hurt the plaintiff is the fact that TJSL's tuition is far lower than, say, Stanford or USC. That alone signals that they weren't exactly pretending to be Harvard.

But then she isn't claiming much, damage wise, which may work in her favor. Seeking lower damages - basically the amount she is in debt for her tuition, instead of an inflated amount based on "pain and suffering incurred due to the inability to practice her profession, provide for her family, etc., " will help persuade a jury that the lawsuit is based strictly on principle.

Last edited by Brookside; 03-08-2016 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events