Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:37 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,547 times

Advertisements

The real question is where did the lawyers representing Thomas Jefferson Law School get their law degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 06:59 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I think it is an interesting case.

There are quite a few post-graduate and/or professional schools (not just law schools) that inflate their employment statistics to justify their insanely high tuition and beef up their accreditation, especially for-profit institutions. They should be held accountable.

She is claiming the institution was duplicitous in charging "Tier 1" tuition for what turned out to be a Tier 3 or 4 degree. The "harm" is that she incurred a huge financial burden on the college's promise (in the form of falsified employment and salary statistics) of quick and lucrative employment based on its "prestige."
I think you have some good points.

One hurdle that I can think of, however, is that plaintiff is a lawyer with an undergraduate degree, sterling grades who took an independent assessment test (LSAT) and not say, a poorly educated single mother who pursued a dubious business degree at "for profit U".

Several independent sources publish rankings of law schools and also give more detailed reviews of each school. These sources are easy to access. It is reasonable to think that somebody of her academic ability had access to these and could have used them when making her decision. In short, the plaintiff could well be hindered by her own academic prowess in a case where one of the core concepts is: "Buyer beware"

Old 03-10-2016, 07:04 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
I think they were wrong for padding their numbers and should face the consequences of such.

But this whole thing comes from the entitled attitude that prevails now.
It also still behooves EVERYONE to always question anything that seems too good to be true.

Used to be if you wanted to go to law school, you had to earn the grades and make the achievements to get in.
Now anyone can just sign up for some random back alley or internet school.
You don't work for it. Why the surprise that it gets you nowhere?

Old 03-10-2016, 07:13 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times
In the end she'll still be unemployed, especially after this mess. Someone would be crazy to hire her now.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,922 times
This doesn't make her look very competent or that she knows how to do research and make an informed decision.

There is ample information out there about law school, it's rankings, reputation etc...

She made a bad decision in going to this law school and followed it up with defaulting on her student loans. It's no one else's fault.

Last edited by WeHa; 03-10-2016 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-10-2016, 08:54 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In the end she'll still be unemployed, especially after this mess. Someone would be crazy to hire her now.
Seriously. Who would want to hire her now? She'd sue them if she was ever reprimanded. She would be a barrel of laughs around the water cooler. Thankfully, she has shared her pic with the world so any future employer can Google her and poof she will magically appear. Thanks for saving them some time dealing with you! Their HR department appreciates it.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:09 AM

140 posts, read 124,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Seriously. Who would want to hire her now? She'd sue them if she was ever reprimanded. She would be a barrel of laughs around the water cooler. Thankfully, she has shared her pic with the world so any future employer can Google her and poof she will magically appear. Thanks for saving them some time dealing with you! Their HR department appreciates it.
I totally disagree. I think she stands a better chance now. It has everything to do for fighting for what you believe in. She has not had an offer in 10 years, you think she cares. I hope she wins shows these people to be the liars that they are.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:13 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabbhadou View Post
I totally disagree. I think she stands a better chance now. It has everything to do for fighting for what you believe in. She has not had an offer in 10 years, you think she cares. I hope she wins shows these people to be the liars that they are.
She had an offer for $60K a year. She graduated 8 years ago not 10.

I've worked in HR. No one will hire a sue happy person. They RUN from people like that. Prospective employees are Googled nowadays. With this all over the news, she'd be lucky to find a job as a cashier at a WalMart.

There's a reason she has not received any offers from the temp jobs she's had. She could be a crappy employee! She seems to have an attitude. And she's never been a real practicing attorney. Wait until you have 20 years experience before you develop an attitude that you're a law god.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,561,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabbhadou View Post
You should read this thread in full. She was offered a job but princess rejected it. I see a Starbucks in her employment future.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
She had an offer for $60K a year. She graduated 8 years ago not 10.

I've worked in HR. No one will hire a sue happy person. They RUN from people like that. Prospective employees are Googled nowadays. With this all over the news, she'd be lucky to find a job as a cashier at a WalMart.

There's a reason she has not received any offers from the temp jobs she's had. She could be a crappy employee! She seems to have an attitude. And she's never been a real practicing attorney. Wait until you have 20 years experience before you develop an attitude that you're a law god.
I don't think she's sue happy. She's not suing them because she didn't get a job offer she liked, she's suing them because she claims the school lied about its employment statistics. They very well could have. Villanova Law lied in 2011 (and for an unknown number of years prior) about its LSAT score and GPA stats and got into a lot of trouble for it. And that's a pretty good law school (was ranked higher before the scandal), and a pretty well-respected university overall. So I wouldn't put it past an unranked T4 school to lie about employment stats to recruit students.

IMO she was wrong to not take the job offering her 60k a year. She probably could have either gotten a raise/made more over time or gotten experience to find another, better paying job later on. But let's face it, no one is getting paid 150k a year straight out the gate after graduating from a school that is NOT a top school, let alone an unranked one. And by top I mean Top 14 at the least. Seems she had unrealistic expectations but if the school DID lie, then I don't think it makes her sue happy to go after it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events