Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,841,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
First off, Mathguy, my hat is off to you for being a responsible adult and making sure your kid took responsibility for his/her actions.

The problem as I see it, is that too many parents DON'T parent, and don't hold their kids responsible for their own actions. Being accountable for ones actions, assumes responsibility and has consequences. You are obviously in my eye, correctly parenting your child(ren) and are unfortunately, a rare breed. I say that because the Principal was shocked to hear that you were on his/her side and just consequences at home would be in play for your child's actions.

It's really too bad that there aren't more parents like you, who parent like they did in the times when we were young. (I graduated high school in 1978).
Way to go, Mathguy!
Huh? 1978?

Violent crime is disproportionately committed by the young - adolescents and 20-somethings (and men - it's a testosterone thing). In other words, crimes are committed by those who are either still living at home (with parents) or who were doing so until relatively recently.

Let's take a look at what those children/recent-children were doing in the 1970s compared to now. Property crimes? (since that's what this case is):

An in-depth look at the U.S. Prison Industry | Business Insurance Quotes: Compare Providers for Free

Far higher in the late 70s than now. So if you think property crimes are a reflection of parenting, you might want to hold back on giving those 1978 parents such a hearty pat on the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 10:19 AM

964 posts, read 997,019 times
I posted this on another thread, but the topic of unruly kids is coming up all over, it seems. The child-rearing column in my newspaper, written by a child psychologist, addressed this common problem, to explain why there's so much bad behavior.

He says he hears from a lot of grandparents about how unruly their grandkids are. They complain of grandkids that are "disrecpectful, disobedient, demanding, ungrateful and ill-mannered, throw tantrums when they don't get their way and constantly interrupt adult conversation." The grandparents don't understand why their children are raising the next generation in a way so diametrically opposed to how they were raised, themselves.

The writer says it's part of "a new egalitarian parenting paradigm that emerged" after the 60's. Parenting experts of that era "maintained that parents and children were equals, families should be democratic and parents should be willing to negotiate any conflict with their kids." This gave rise to beliefs that "children deserve reasons", "children need a lot of attention", and "children have a right to freely express their feelings". The result of raising kids as if they were peers of their own parents has been "a surfeit of children who defy authority, are openly disrespectful, argue, have no respect for adult-child boundaries, and are ruled by the tyranny of their undisciplined emotions."

Meet the new train-wreck generation of arsons, drug dealers, and vandals. And these are middle-class kids! How will kids like this be ready to hold jobs? Who will take over leadership of communities, industry, schools and the government?

Old 03-10-2016, 10:43 AM

35,770 posts, read 21,134,823 times
Idaho has become violent lately

Old 03-10-2016, 10:56 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,321,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I am pretty sure that is a given. How about many years in prison.
Expell them, charge them with attempted murder and arson.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:13 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,768,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep. I had the principal call me a few years ago over something one of my kids did. Mind you we aren't in a *rough* school area...typically pretty mixed income etc.

They almost sounded shocked when I completely took their side and told them that there would be further punishment at home for their actions. You could tell they were preparing to hear a flurry of excuses, deflections and otherwise complete refusal to take any responsibility.

I hear all the same stuff from my relatives that work in teaching (rural Illinois).

It's a widespread social affliction....involves kids of different races, household incomes, geography etc etc.
I couldn't agree more...... Teachers and admins are shocked when agree with them . no excuses are allowed in my house. When I was a kid I had respect for teachers and admins. I would NEVER think of doing anything in retaliation to a teacher. This story is just horrible

Old 03-10-2016, 04:58 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,946,819 times
Funny how they don't disclose the ethnicity of the thugs....

Old 03-10-2016, 05:01 PM

620 posts, read 1,748,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No but they can have better discipline policies towards students.
It's a joke what students are allowed to get away with.
All because the school wants to make sure they qualify for their federal $$$$.
Students not in school count against the school for fed $$$.
You do realize schools are funded by states, cities and towns. The responsibility for K-12 education rests with the states under the Constitution.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:18 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,841,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Why is it 'funny'? Their religion isn't disclosed, either. Or their hair color. What would be the point? They're not at large. They're not unidentified. Again, what would be the point?

Why don't you just tell us what you're implying.

Anyway, let's do a little investigation, shall we? I found an article that names three of the suspects.

Quote:
Paul Hendrix-Mills, 14, and Donavan Ferreira, 16, are each charged with arson and conspiracy to commit arson. The felony charges are punishable by up to 25 years in prison, or a $100,000 fine, or both.

Travis Kenney, 14, and another 15-year-old defendant, are charged with conspiracy to commit arson. The unnamed defendant has not been arrested and his case remains sealed, according to Kelso.
Names of 3 of 4 Payette arson suspects released | KTVB.COM

And a little more googling finds photos of the first two named suspects, and a family photo of the third. About as white a bunch as you'd expect if you'd bothered to look up the demographic data for Payette, Idaho.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.hendrixmills
https://www.facebook.com/donavan.ferreira
Meet people like Travis Kenney on MeetMe!

Any more questions?

Old 03-10-2016, 06:07 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,300,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
What are you implying?

Old 03-10-2016, 06:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
You do realize schools are funded by states, cities and towns. The responsibility for K-12 education rests with the states under the Constitution.
They USED to belong to local governments. They sold their souls to the Fed for the almighty dollar.

Go read the "Dear Colleague" letters the DOE/DOJ sent out to schools about discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events