Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 05:20 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by odanny
"I've never donated to this charity, I always had a bad feeling about it, I thought it was more about publicity than it was about actually helping wounded veterans. That's why I have always donated to Disabled American Veterans, a charity that sees 96% of donations go towards the people they are supposed to be helping (versus 60% for WWP). Plus they have always made my donations feel appreciated by them, and I like that as well. Probably will never donate to WWP after my bad feelings about them were recently confirmed."

Good score from Charity Navigator.

Perhaps some of you would still like to donate to our Veterans....please consider the DAV...as stated above their overhead is minimal. If you'd rather not or maybe you cannot donate cash, consider donating your time. Stop in at any DAV post in your community and ask the Commander how you can help. Some of the money donated to the DAV goes to purchase passenger vans which are used to transport Veterans, (some cannot drive themselves, some cannot afford to drive) to their assigned VA hospital for appointments....these vans are driven by volunteers. See the Transportation Coordinator at your local VA hospital to inquire about a volunteer driver position.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 10:05 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I am not surprised. I'm also not surprised someone brings up Clinton which has nothing to do with the WWP.
But they both cheat...

Old 03-12-2016, 10:15 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times
a disgrace

Old 03-12-2016, 10:35 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
I thought Trace Adkins was walking with a gimp; probably because of sitting on that wad of cash all the time
I was just thinking the same thing. Trace Adkins the spokesman for the WWP reportedly raised over one million dollars for the project through Trumps Celebrity Apprentice TV show. Wonder how much he got to keep and what Trump thinks now.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:51 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
Wounded Warrior Project spends like 40% of its donations on overhead. The norm elsewhere is around 10%.

Anyone considering it is better off donating to something like Disabled American Vets.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:50 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Charity Watch and Charity Navigator are two useful sites to check when considering donations. Wounded Warrior Project has always tugged at my heartstrings, but I will not donate to them.
Agree. Have know for years they are very top heavy.
If you want to donate to a charity that serves Veterans Semper Fi is a much better choice.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:55 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
The real issue is.

What the hell kind of country like the US exists that necessitates organizations like this when:

The same government that sent the soldiers off to war where they became wounded warriors should in fact be paying for everything they need when they return home with life changing injuries.
+1 exactly

Old 03-13-2016, 10:27 AM

432 posts, read 359,386 times
Charity Navigator provides good info on organizations, doesn't require payment or registration. It's a valuable enough resource to me that I send them a few bucks each year.

A while back I researched veterans' assistance nonprofits and settled on Fisher House Foundation, which helps provide housing for out-of-area families of veterans receiving medical treatment at military/vet medical facilities. They get a financial score of >95% financial score and 100% for accountability and transparency from Charity Navigator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
The real issue is.

What the hell kind of country like the US exists that necessitates organizations like this when:

The same government that sent the soldiers off to war where they became wounded warriors should in fact be paying for everything they need when they return home with life changing injuries.
That is the real issue, way too many damaged or homeless vets. How come "we broke it, we buy it" applies to countries we invade but not to the kids we use to do the invading?

Old 03-13-2016, 01:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How they spend the money....

58% goes to the Vets and 42% goes to them.

That's a pretty big chunk of donation money they are keeping for themselves.

Wounded Warrior Project spends 58% of donations on veterans programs | Tampa Bay Times

The problem is that they are a huge entity. Advertising costs, payroll and overhead eat up money. They can't run it out of a two car garage. And 58% going to help troops is a huge chunk of percentage. In charity world that's giving it all away. There are some "charities" that pay out less than 5% with the rest going to overhead. There are a few that are charities in name only giving nothing.

Google Americas 50 worse charities

I stopped donating to any charity that advertises on tv. I see them as nothing but a money mill. What I do is
I go to Costco and buy a few hundred bucks worth of pet food and drop it off at a animal shelter. Still deductible to me and I know it goes straight to the animals. I found one low key small charity for military. That's who I donate to.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:05 PM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!!! they need to jail them f they find the cooked the books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events