Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:29 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,297,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Exactly. A solution to your problem with noise that doesn't infringe on the rights of others. Ridiculous the guy didn't realize there was another way. Or he did and felt his needs were more important. Snowflake indeed.
It wasn't just for him. He was performing a public service to make the train quiet for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 11:35 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,968,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Not sure, I think it's only illegal in certain places like Chicago where only thugs and criminal have rights. There might be an FCC rule against it in public places. I don't see how they could be illegal on private property and they aren't illegal to sell - obviously - if you google it.

I had one once, it never worked very well, the active range seemed to be about 3 feet - it shut down MY phone pretty good but one across the room worked fine.

I just looked for it and can't find it. Must have sunk in that tragic boating accident with all my guns...
It is illegal all over the United States.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jamming-...nt-against-law

Quote:
We remind and warn consumers that it is a violation of federal law to use a cell jammer or similar devices that intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications such as cell phones, police radar, GPS, and Wi-Fi. Despite some marketers’ claims, consumers cannot legally use jammers within the United States, nor can retailers lawfully sell them.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:36 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,329,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
It wasn't just for him. He was performing a public service to make the train quiet for all.
Did he also duct tape people's mouths so they couldn't talk to each other? Did he smother noisy babies with his hands? Did he take people's MP3 players away if they were loud enough some "spillover" was coming from the headphones? Would you be OK with that? Either way you're wrong--if you answer "yes," then basically you're ok with someone breaking the law being a vigilante because they think it's OK to play God and appoint themselves as the train conductor basically. If you answer "no," you're advocating bigotry as I explained earlier.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:39 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,917,468 times
Quote:
LOL! Where does he live, we all want to move next door to such a colorful neighbor.
He's really colorful. He managed to actually have a job for more than four weeks last year (at a warehouse). When he quit, I asked him why and he said it was 'to prevent my supervisor from having to be hospitalized' and told me if he didn't quit that day, he was going to assault his boss.

Last week, he kept telling me that I lack 'skills and training' and he tried showing me some defense moves by twisting my arm and tripping me into falling. It was unexpected and I was like WTF?

His latest new things too are an obsession that the world is flat and their are mind altering chemicals in tap water.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:17 PM

78,648 posts, read 60,852,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In other words, I like to talk on my cell phone in public, I'm tied to the cell phone umbilical cord, and I don't want to hear that I'm being a pain to everyone around me.
Whoa now, just a second because in the automotive threads you've taken the position that you're within the law to stay in the fast lane and exactly the speed limit and that others that see that as socially rude are in the wrong because the law is what matters.

In this instance however, they aren't doing anything illegal but you find it socially rude and think it should be curtailed and the thread is about illegal jammers.

How are you squaring those opinions?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:23 PM

78,648 posts, read 60,852,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
He's really colorful. He managed to actually have a job for more than four weeks last year (at a warehouse). When he quit, I asked him why and he said it was 'to prevent my supervisor from having to be hospitalized' and told me if he didn't quit that day, he was going to assault his boss.

Last week, he kept telling me that I lack 'skills and training' and he tried showing me some defense moves by twisting my arm and tripping me into falling. It was unexpected and I was like WTF?

His latest new things too are an obsession that the world is flat and their are mind altering chemicals in tap water.
Might want to get some gentle separation there....before "colorful" becomes "homicidal" and he somehow comes to the conclusion that you're the one behind the whole tap water thing.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:32 PM

51,021 posts, read 36,735,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
No he probably doesn't since its a red herring.
If he sees an emergency situation going down he's not going to use it.

And he wont get arrested if he doesn't have it out on public display t]like that guy
It's not just HIM, it's anyone who might need to call. Did it ever occur to you that bad people thinking of doing bad things on a train might have one of those devices, so no one cam call for help? The only reason there weren't more deaths in our most recent public shootings is because people managed to call 911, now you want to take away the entire train's ability to reach out to the outside world?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:39 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,592,104 times
Quote:
Perhaps he was casing the train or doing a dry run for a robbery or terrorist attack. Did that thought ever occur to you Mr Bronson ?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:41 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,846,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
If he sees an emergency situation going down he's not going to use it.
Have you ever been on a train? I haven't in years, and only have a few times, but Chicago's El spends a lot of time within 3 feet of buildings - businesses, apartments, etc. The walls of the trains and of those buildings don't stop cell reception, so why do you think they'll magically stop a jammer? They won't. The self-absorbed jammer you admire so much won't have any idea if there's an emergency situation going on outside the train but within range of the jamming device.

Quote:
And he wont get arrested if he doesn't have it out on public display t]like that guy
Of course. Because the passive-aggressive control freaks are too gutless to do anything but hide as they break the law in pursuit of their it's-all-about-me idiocy.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:38 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,893,196 times
Dennis Nicholl for President !!!

Love what he did.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events