Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 08:09 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
Agreed.....I use noise cancelling headphones when out shopping, etc.....there are no trains here but i'm sure i'd use them on the bus if I was a commuter. Yeah, i'm tethered to my phone, but I listen to rainshowers, music, white noise, podcasts....love it when shopping, I can browse leisurely, salespeople see my headset and don't ask me 50 billion questions and I don't have to listen to kids screaming their heads off

Exactly. A solution to your problem with noise that doesn't infringe on the rights of others. Ridiculous the guy didn't realize there was another way. Or he did and felt his needs were more important. Snowflake indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 08:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Exactly. A solution to your problem with noise that doesn't infringe on the rights of others. Ridiculous the guy didn't realize there was another way. Or he did and felt his needs were more important. Snowflake indeed.
True or people can be considerate and not speak loudly which sounds like the typical complaint made. Folks act as if the fellow on the other end is hard of hearing and they speak at a much higher than normal volume.

Oddly enough I come across the loud ones at the gym. The piped music over the PA, sound of plates touching the floor and the occasional grunt makes those absorbed in telephone conversations speak quite loud. Otherwise I do not experience it.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:21 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
True or people can be considerate and not speak loudly which sounds like the typical complaint made. Folks act as if the fellow on the other end is hard of hearing and they speak at a much higher than normal volume.

Oddly enough I come across the loud ones at the gym. The piped music over the PA, sound of plates touching the floor and the occasional grunt makes those absorbed in telephone conversations speak quite loud. Otherwise I do not experience it.

Hopefully this as well. Some people seem to have forgotten there are others on the planet and don't take anyone but themselves into consideration.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:22 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,103 times
This thread is just more proof that cranky old people should just stay in their house all day.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 AM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Those should be standard equipment for every checkout operator and fast food counter employee for all the self absorbed, special snowflake losers that thinks their conversation is more important than keeping the line moving.
......As well as requiring one that turns on whenever your car's speedometer registers something other than zero.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:01 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Those should be standard equipment for every checkout operator and fast food counter employee for all the self absorbed, special snowflake losers that thinks their conversation is more important than keeping the line moving.
I call bull. I've done cashiering, and in my case anyway, I have found the phone users to not only not hold up the line, they're in fact some of the fastest customers I've dealt with. If you want to address line-moving speed, the real offenders:

(1) People ordering too much (sorry, but you don't go to Burger King and order $40 worth of hamburgers, you just don't, and you sure don't do that and then expect them to be made at the speed of light), and especially those "hemming and hawing" about what they want. If it takes a minute, OK, but after awhile, it's like "make up your mind."

(2) People who dispute the price when it's only 5 cents off (cashiers don't know what anything costs and aren't deliberately jacking prices up out of meanness). Newsflash--the person behind you who offered to pay the 5 cents, don't say "thank you for your generosity," they did it because they're ready to get on with life. Basically, they "bribed you" to drop the matter and get out of the flipping way.

(3) People with papers coupons AND "digital" coupons AND buying things on sale, and they expect ALL of that to basically "triple discount" their stuff, and when it doesn't they throw a fit and they expect you to spend all day sorting it all out (they typically also have bought 80 bazillion items)

(4) People who act like getting 42 cents of change back on a $3.58 item is akin to having your fingers chopped off, and they INSIST on sifting through their purse, pockets, wallets, glove box, trunk, socks, backpack, or even their underwear practically searching for that 58 cents because oh my goodness getting change back is so HORRIBLE!!

Compared to all of that, cell phones hardly rate on the list of delays, if they even delay things at all.

I have more, if it's OK (I haven't read any rules saying it's not), I'm going to do a second post with the rest, so the posting isn't so lengthy.

Last edited by shyguylh; 03-15-2016 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-15-2016, 09:09 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Oh please.... this is 2016.
If you live in a city and take public transportation, you can expect to hear a few cell conversations. . . GET OVER IT. . If u dont like it, then put in some ear buds and listen to some music.
Amen. As you said, it's the year 2016. It's not the 1980s anymore (and I'm of the age I was a teen in those years).

I'm tired of these cell phone bigots (because to me, they're every big as much of a bigot in terms of their thinking as Lester Maddox ever was) who think it is any of their business what others are doing on their phones. Unless they're talking so loudly you can hear them in another state, it's none of their business. Nobody died and made them God.

It has NOTHING to do with noise or safety (in the case of driving using the phones). NOTHING. Else, how come it is ALWAYS the phone users they go after? What about the people who chat loudly to others in person? How come you always hear "self absorbed jerk not paying attention to anybody" if they're merely reading something, as if people haven't been reading books and newspapers for years? Why all the judgment over "selfies?" What business is it of yours that somebody wants to take a photo of their food? What harm is that doing to you? "Oh, I hear the fake click"--TOUGH, who cares? If a simple click bothers you that much, TOUGH.

Why all of the complaints about driving while using the phones, and NOTHING about people almost running into you because they were fiddling with their car's music or climate controls too much, or fumbling in their glove box, or shaving, or eating/drinking, or staring at a hot girl jogging? Why, again, all of the complaints about "selfies" and how "people are so consumed with taking photos they're not experiencing what's around them" but I NEVER have heard of that when people do this with stand-alone cameras, only if they're using a smartphone camera?

It's plain bigotry, nothing else.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:24 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
LMAO! Lots of people in here are defending their annoying public phone calls. Get a clue, cellphone addicts. You're loud on those phones no matter who you're talking to. We don't like it when you draw us into your personal phone conversations. And since you knowingly drag your nasty business into our private space, we have every right to take measures to stop you from bothering us. I will definitely be getting one of those devices. I can't wait to use it.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:33 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I call bull. I've done cashiering, and in my case anyway, I have found the phone users to not only not hold up the line, they're in fact some of the fastest customers I've dealt with. If you want to address line-moving speed, the real offenders:
5) The idiots who can't figure out what they want at a burger place.

For God's sake, they've been on this planet for decades and eaten at these places thousands of times. It's simple:
*Some kind of dead animal on a bun
*Some deep-fried side
*Something fizzy

There are only so many variations on this theme. You'd think they'd just wandered into a some exotic cafe in remote Tibet where everything on the menu was a mystery!

PS - You people looking for peace and quiet on a flippin' train need your heads examined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
LMAO! Lots of people in here are defending their annoying public phone calls. Get a clue, cellphone addicts. You're loud on those phones no matter who you're talking to. We don't like it when you draw us into your personal phone conversations. And since you knowingly drag your nasty business into our private space, we have every right to take measures to stop you from bothering us. I will definitely be getting one of those devices. I can't wait to use it.
1) I don't ride trains, so I'm not defending anything I do. I criticizing special snowflakes who think a train is some sort of quiet zone where everyone has to coddle special snowflakes who handle the sound of someone talking.
2) I almost never get phone calls but text messages.
3) If I get a call from my wife, it will be for some very valid reason - please pick up milk on your way home, one of the kids needs a ride home from practice, etc. - and if I miss something like that because my phone was jammed, and then I see you with a jammer, you'll be one sorry snowflake.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:33 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Seems to me the self-absorbed losers are those who think that the whole rest of the car should be forced to put up with their need to carry on cell phone conversations and their inability to wait until they're not in public (can't cope with delayed gratification0. Now, THAT is narcissistic!
That's silly, I'm sorry. It's not a library. People on the train talk to each other, don't they? What difference does it make if I'm with my friend on the train and we are talking, or I call her and we talk on the train?

Back in the day when I used to take the AC Express train into work, I an other young people headed off to work (many of us were on the same train each day) would play cards the entire time.now .that was a loud bus, a heck of a lot louder than a cell convo would have been!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events