Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 05:02 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
"Not to blame the victim, but ..." Well, Sweet ... if you are not blaming the victim, who are you blaming? The title of this topic is "Uber driver rapes woman" and you obfuscate by saying "but this story does not prove that using Uber is unsafe".

Yes you are blaming the victim, regardless of how you are trying to spin it ... "She did not use the service correctly and this situation likely could've been avoided if she had". BTW, do you work for Uber as an apologist?

Small point ... Why did the perp run? I won't bother going into your other tripe about the actions of the perp. Sometimes, some of us think of a thing called common courtesy and helping. Something tells me that maybe, just maybe sometime, somewhere, just once there might have been a driver (Uber or Cab) who might have helped someone get all the way safely home without raping said person. Maybe something like this might have happened...

O well.

El Nox
Good post. I was walking alone the other day in a strange city and a cabbie picked me up and took me to my hotel because he felt I was in an unsafe area. He wouldn't accept my money or anything.

I guess some people may have felt that I was asking for it too, but I had the good fortune of running into a very good person. There but for the grace of God, people. It could be you, your mom, sister, or daughter.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Good post. I was walking alone the other day in a strange city and a cabbie picked me up and took me to my hotel because he felt I was in an unsafe area. He wouldn't accept my money or anything.

I guess some people may have felt that I was asking for it too, but I had the good fortune of running into a very good person. There but for the grace of God, people. It could be you, your mom, sister, or daughter.
Kinda restores your faith in people. Glad it happened to you.

El Nox

Old 03-19-2016, 01:43 PM

932 posts, read 898,566 times
happened here in nashville to recently

Uber driver supposedly raped a drunk passenger

Uber driver charged with raping customer - WSMV Channel 4

Old 03-19-2016, 04:34 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
"Not to blame the victim, but ..." Well, Sweet ... if you are not blaming the victim, who are you blaming? The title of this topic is "Uber driver rapes woman" and you obfuscate by saying "but this story does not prove that using Uber is unsafe".

Yes you are blaming the victim, regardless of how you are trying to spin it ... "She did not use the service correctly and this situation likely could've been avoided if she had". BTW, do you work for Uber as an apologist?
No, I'm just a woman who enjoys using Uber. I've had six different Uber drivers in the past four months with zero incidents to report. I get in the car, they drive me to my destination, I get out. Of course, you should never let your guard down and be too trusting (and unfortunately, I think the victim in this case did that), but I wouldn't want other women to be afraid to use Uber based on these isolated incidents.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
happened here in nashville to recently

Uber driver supposedly raped a drunk passenger

Uber driver charged with raping customer - WSMV Channel 4
Wow, really disturbing hope he gets the max penalty.

I know people that have used Uber no problems but there background check is a complete joke and at minimum should include fingerprints.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:18 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Wow, really disturbing hope he gets the max penalty.

I know people that have used Uber no problems but there background check is a complete joke and at minimum should include fingerprints.
Hell, we've had cops do that to people. Background checks only find the stuff you've already been convicted of. If you've never been caught.......

That said, if Über failed their due diligence, then legally they have some liability, though the fault lies primarilly with the disgusting filth that committed this act.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:36 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Really?

Many of my friends use Uber, no problem. One friend used to drive for Uber, no problem. How can that be?
Gee, huge sample size there.

I drove drunk as a youth and never had an accident.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikka1 View Post
When an Uber hero in Chicago used his legal firearm to stop a gunman, the company was quick... no, it was almost INSTANT in releasing a statement and banning all its drivers to legally carry their weapons (and, for a minute, in 99.99% cases - permit to carry = clean criminal & background history).
When an Uber scum rapes a woman, company is nearly silent. No statements, nothing. How about reviewing hiring policies and releasing another statement prohibiting rape?
They just released a statement requiring all drivers to keep their penis in their pants.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:45 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I'd be equally curious to know how many Uber drivers have been assaulted by passengers. I know there have been some as videos are available. Face it, as long as people are willing to get in a car with someone they don't know and drivers are willing to pick up people who haven't been screened, there are going to be problems. It never ceases to amaze me how fast Uber caught on given the inherent problems.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
No, I'm just a woman who enjoys using Uber. I've had six different Uber drivers in the past four months with zero incidents to report. I get in the car, they drive me to my destination, I get out. Of course, you should never let your guard down and be too trusting (and unfortunately, I think the victim in this case did that), but I wouldn't want other women to be afraid to use Uber based on these isolated incidents.
You may never have had any creepy or scary experiences, but that doesn't mean others are in the same boat as you. I'm glad you haven't had bad experiences, but unfortunately others around the world haven't been so lucky.

I have never liked the idea of Uber. I have used it a handful of times, and never alone. I've always been worried about being assaulted because you just never know whose car you're getting into and what the drivers are like. I've never been a fan of cabs, either, but somehow I feel safer in a cab in Manhattan (the only times I've ever taken a cab anywhere were in NYC) than in a random Uber car late at night in my much less dense/busy suburban area.

One time we had a really cool driver who seemed awesome and let my friend charge her phone in his car and play music from it, but at the same time I didn't trust him too much or let my guard down too much because you just don't know. Anyway, never liked it, probably never really will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events