Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:30 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Kinda restores your faith in people. Glad it happened to you.

El Nox
Apparently she used the cab service "properly."

Old 03-20-2016, 01:52 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'd be equally curious to know how many Uber drivers have been assaulted by passengers. I know there have been some as videos are available. Face it, as long as people are willing to get in a car with someone they don't know and drivers are willing to pick up people who haven't been screened, there are going to be problems. It never ceases to amaze me how fast Uber caught on given the inherent problems.
my son's friend used to drive for uber, and he was attacked 3 times--but--he did this in a moderately large city and picked up in bad ares because most of the other drivers wouldn't go there. they tipped well.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:01 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You may never have had any creepy or scary experiences, but that doesn't mean others are in the same boat as you. I'm glad you haven't had bad experiences, but unfortunately others around the world haven't been so lucky.
If lots of people are having scary Uber experiences, I'd definitely like to hear about it. But a few drunk women getting assaulted just tells me not to use Uber while drunk.

Quote:
I have never liked the idea of Uber. I have used it a handful of times, and never alone. I've always been worried about being assaulted because you just never know whose car you're getting into and what the drivers are like. I've never been a fan of cabs, either, but somehow I feel safer in a cab in Manhattan (the only times I've ever taken a cab anywhere were in NYC) than in a random Uber car late at night in my much less dense/busy suburban area.

One time we had a really cool driver who seemed awesome and let my friend charge her phone in his car and play music from it, but at the same time I didn't trust him too much or let my guard down too much because you just don't know. Anyway, never liked it, probably never really will.
Ok, sounds like you didn't have any bad experiences but you're just uncomfortable about being in the car with strangers. I understand that.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:11 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
No, I'm just a woman who enjoys using Uber. I've had six different Uber drivers in the past four months with zero incidents to report. I get in the car, they drive me to my destination, I get out. Of course, you should never let your guard down and be too trusting (and unfortunately, I think the victim in this case did that), but I wouldn't want other women to be afraid to use Uber based on these isolated incidents.
This 'isolated incident' is a rape. Do you not see how the entire Uber set-up is conducive to this? You are in a car, alone with someone that you don't know. Unlike cabs, which have partitions, an Uber vehicle has no such protection. But it's the woman's fault, right? And you can have your guard up and the driver has a gun or another weapon. What then?

The reason that you don't hear about these is because a lot of times, rapes are not reported. Gee, wonder why?

You should be ashamed of your posts, but something tells me that you probably aren't.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This 'isolated incident' is a rape. Do you not see how the entire Uber set-up is conducive to this? You are in a car, alone with someone that you don't know. Unlike cabs, which have partitions, an Uber vehicle has no such protection. But it's the woman's fault, right? And you can have your guard up and the driver has a gun or another weapon. What then?

The reason that you don't hear about these is because a lot of times, rapes are not reported. Gee, wonder why?

You should be ashamed of your posts, but something tells me that you probably aren't.
I should be ashamed because I have a different opinion than you do on the safety of Uber? This woman wasn't raped inside of the vehicle. If I felt that using Uber was likely to lead to an assault, obviously I wouldn't use it. No woman deserves to be raped. PERIOD. That doesn't mean that I'm not going to acknowledge that this woman made bad decisions.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:08 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
If lots of people are having scary Uber experiences, I'd definitely like to hear about it. But a few drunk women getting assaulted just tells me not to use Uber while drunk.

Ok, sounds like you didn't have any bad experiences but you're just uncomfortable about being in the car with strangers. I understand that.
IMO Uber is partly meant for/perfect for drunk people. Way safer than driving (clearly), and useful in areas with little to no cab service or mass transit. Unless passengers assault drivers (which happens, too), the problem isn't the drunk passengers but the drivers who think it's okay to assault a drunk female passenger.

It's not that I'm uncomfortable being in a car with strangers, it's something about Uber that I don't trust. Something just seems a lot more legitimate to me about cabs than Uber. Maybe it's the cars, how they're all marked and all the same when owned by a cab company rather than a random car owned by a random driver, maybe it's because most cars have a partition. I don't know but something about Uber has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 03-20-2016 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-20-2016, 08:10 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:

Back in the day we had our own version of Uber. It was called hitchhiking.

Funny with all the paranoia and warnings now about sexual assault - watch your drink, stay in groups, etc. people will hop in a car with a stranger like it's no big deal.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
IMO Uber is partly meant for/perfect for drunk people. Way safer than driving (clearly), and useful in areas with little to no cab service or mass transit. Unless passengers assault drivers (which happens, too), the problem isn't the drunk passengers but the drivers who think it's okay to assault a drunk female passenger.

It's not that I'm uncomfortable being in a car with strangers, it's something about Uber that I don't trust. Something just seems a lot more legitimate to me about cabs than Uber. Maybe it's the cars, how they're all marked and all the same when owned by a cab company rather than a random car owned by a random driver, maybe it's because most cars have a partition. I don't know but something about Uber has always rubbed me the wrong way.
I've actually never taken a cab before, but a partition obviously wouldn't have helped this woman since she wasn't even assaulted inside of the vehicle. And there's no way that Uber can screen a driver to determine whether he would be likely to assault a woman (intoxicated or sober) who invites him into her motel room after giving her a ride.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:38 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Back in the day we had our own version of Uber. It was called hitchhiking.

Funny with all the paranoia and warnings now about sexual assault - watch your drink, stay in groups, etc. people will hop in a car with a stranger like it's no big deal.
Right??

The world has become more dangerous and yet people are also doing more dangerous things.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,420 times
Quote:

Quote:
I should be ashamed because I have a different opinion than you do on the safety of Uber? This woman wasn't raped inside of the vehicle. If I felt that using Uber was likely to lead to an assault, obviously I wouldn't use it. No woman deserves to be raped. PERIOD. That doesn't mean that I'm not going to acknowledge that this woman made bad decisions.
Quote:
I've actually never taken a cab before, but a partition obviously wouldn't have helped this woman since she wasn't even assaulted inside of the vehicle. And there's no way that Uber can screen a driver to determine whether he would be likely to assault a woman (intoxicated or sober) who invites him into her motel room after giving her a ride.
You are still blaming the victim. I can half-way agree with your defense of UBER ... but only half-way. Uber hired this creep. Uber failed to do a proper background check. END OF THAT SUBJECT.

With 20/20 hindsight, we can say that this lady should not have contacted the driver. However, with 20/20 nowsight (my word), and a little hindsight, she SHOULD have been safe ... but wasn't. This crap lies TOTALLY in the laps of Uber and the scum. And the BS about 'not proper use' is a veritable joke. It is PROPER for her to be safe. BTW ... I also think it's PROPER for you to be safe also. Heaven forbid that YOU are EVER a victim of someone/thing being improper.

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events