Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 10:30 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,624,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I noticed a lot of questions being asked today. The main one seems to be "why?" It's all over the place.

Maybe we should start asking other questions, more intelligent, more elusive questions, harder questions.

Maybe we should ask how many people have died in Iraq, Syria, Libya and other places needlessly in the last 3 decades.

Maybe we should question our blind devotion to the backwards rule of the Saudi family and others. Maybe we should question US policy in the Middle East. Maybe we should question the exceptional-ism of America and the west, maybe we should question the leadership of the men who have lead us to this point. Maybe inside we're all afraid to ask them questions?

Maybe we should ask just who all the arms dealers are, the ones that feed the wars that are forcing good Muslim people to flee their homes by the millions. Maybe we should question the rulers of Iraq (for example) and all of the corrupt filth we have put in power who deprive their people of decent lives.

Maybe we should question those who rule us and don't have answers to our questions.

I know that at some point this will happen again. I know it will because maybe some Iraqi girl saw her parents and baby sister blown away by an American soldier years ago. I know some Saudi boy saw his father dragged away, never to be seen again.

I'll tell you what I think about why this happened. I think it happened because we're not smart enough, or brave enough, to ask the hard questions.
Oh yeah, I remember when Belgium did all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 10:42 AM

17,416 posts, read 15,564,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Oh yeah, I remember when Belgium did all of that.
They didn't. The point of that post (I think) was to show how drastically we destabilized the Middle East. Saddam was a lunatic, yes, but that's the exact type of leader that region needs/needed. Take him out (at the cost of COUNTLESS civilian lives, as well as the obliteration of Baghdad) and you now have the rise of a blood-thirsty, power-tripping terrorist organization comprised of career criminals, homeless bums, religious fanatics, and complete idiots, all fighting and blowing **** up in the name of... nothing, really.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:16 AM

52,804 posts, read 34,710,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
They didn't. The point of that post (I think) was to show how drastically we destabilized the Middle East. Saddam was a lunatic, yes, but that's the exact type of leader that region needs/needed. Take him out (at the cost of COUNTLESS civilian lives, as well as the obliteration of Baghdad) and you now have the rise of a blood-thirsty, power-tripping terrorist organization comprised of career criminals, homeless bums, religious fanatics, and complete idiots, all fighting and blowing **** up in the name of... nothing, really.
not sure what saddam has to do with 2 Belgian nationals blowing people up in Belgium.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
not sure what saddam has to do with 2 Belgian nationals blowing people up in Belgium.
The rise of ISIS. And the inability to stop their carnage.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:24 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,502,731 times
Quote:
WHAT? Sure is is convenient for you if you are not the one being tortured or raped but that is not the exact type of leader that anyone needs.

Also I think Saddam could have been dealt with short of war but France decided to make this the issue in which they would prove they were a superpower and built a coalition to oppose the US in the UN. It is ironic IMHO that they are now paying for this opposition.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
WHAT? Sure is is convenient for you if you are not the one being tortured or raped but that is not the exact type of leader that anyone needs.
Compared to what they're dealing with now? I'm fairly certain most Iraqis would MUCH rather go back to the days under his strict dictatorship than live in today's conditions. Don't get me wrong, he was a bad man for sure, but he damn sure kept that country as stable as possible.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:36 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,753,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post

Also I think Saddam could have been dealt with short of war but France decided to make this the issue in which they would prove they were a superpower and built a coalition to oppose the US in the UN. It is ironic IMHO that they are now paying for this opposition.
Bush 1 stopped short of going into Iraq for a reason. Cheney & the other warmongers bemoaned it for 8 years. How's it goin' for ya? Ever hear the old saying, "The devil you know might be better than the devil you don't know."?

Old 03-23-2016, 11:38 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,584,432 times
Quote:
Compared to what they're dealing with now? I'm fairly certain most Iraqis would MUCH rather go back to the days under his strict dictatorship than live in today's conditions. Don't get me wrong, he was a bad man for sure, but he damn sure kept that country as stable as possible.
The Iraqi Kurds wouldn't and the Marsh Arabs wouldn't for a start - that's an absolute certainty.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,753,915 times
Quote:
That's it in a nutshell.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:40 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,574,775 times
Quote:
Nah. he gassed his own people. He didn't like them because they were of a different "group", or "tribe", or liked Auburn University in football, or whatever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events