Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:37 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,935,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wendy's says that, but they're just parroting the old "our expenses our up, so the solution is to cut staff" party line that all companies do. Consider Amazon. They raised the cost of their Prime subscription rates, enacted the bogus Add-On Item program, introduced Prime Pantry, and they are still shipping tiny items in huge boxes separately from other items in an order. Not only that Prime customers are still paying for shipping because they don't get their items cheaper than via 3rd party sellers when they pay for shipping separately. And their lame explanation is "It's cost prohibitive to ship these items unless you buy $X amount of other stuff." Pffft. It's all about the almighty $$$, and none of the dollars saved will benefit the customer.
I appreciate how you've applied the critical/creative thinking model to this particular scenario. You asked, 'Cui bono?' & then answered using critical thinking. Now, can you rationally persuade others to do the same? In this & other important areas? (I'm serious, that would be awesome!)

Old 05-15-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
i can't wait for the automated politicians without left or right agendas
Hah! That would be awesome too!

Old 05-15-2016, 09:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 750,001 times
I just love the "these losers should get jobs instead of stealing my taxes" and "these aren't jobs you're supposed be able to live on" arguments. Try thinking that through from beginning to end...

But this is the place technology is leading, and is about maximizing profits. It's so convenient to blame living wages. As far as a small business goes, I sympathize. I do. But if a business cannot survive while paying a living wage, I have to question the ultimate health of that business. If we cannot sustain the cost of the work happening, is that the fault of the employees?

Old 05-15-2016, 09:54 AM

8,056 posts, read 10,653,334 times
I think it's amazing that corporate America has been able to brainwash us into thinking $15.00 is a lot of money. Remember that the difference between the United States and third world counties has been what we will pay someone who is willing to work for their living. When having babies to qualify for welfare and food stamps are a better financial solution than working for the prevailing minimum wage, something needs to change.

We have no problem with the CEO's and board members of these companies paying themselves THOUSANDS of dollars per hour and hiding much of it off shore to avoid taxes. We are complaining about paying low level workers what the minimum wage, adjusted for the cost of living, should rightfully be in the first place, having been held down for a decade while the cost of basic necessities has soared.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I just love the "these losers should get jobs instead of stealing my taxes" and "these aren't jobs you're supposed be able to live on" arguments. Try thinking that through from beginning to end...

But this is the place technology is leading, and is about maximizing profits. It's so convenient to blame living wages. As far as a small business goes, I sympathize. I do. But if a business cannot survive while paying a living wage, I have to question the ultimate health of that business. If we cannot sustain the cost of the work happening, is that the fault of the employees?
Agree with much here too. The big picture is small business folks or newcomers (small or individual entrepreneurs) are not benefitting either. Cui bono?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I think it's amazing that corporate America has been able to brainwash us into thinking $15.00 is a lot of money. Remember that the difference between the United States and third world counties has been what we will pay someone who is willing to work for their living. When having babies to qualify for welfare and food stamps are a better financial solution than working for the prevailing minimum wage, something needs to change.

We have no problem with the CEO's and board members of these companies paying themselves THOUSANDS of dollars per hour and hiding much of it off shore to avoid taxes. We are complaining about paying low level workers what the minimum wage, adjusted for the cost of living, should rightfully be in the first place, having been held down for a decade while the cost of basic necessities has soared.
Agree here too. The 'status quo' system incentivizes the offshoring of jobs. It seems to be inevitable & apparently it's not a 'bug' in the system, it's a feature.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:58 AM

8,056 posts, read 10,653,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I find that these types of comments come from people who haven't gotten the message that the "new normal" has changed. The economic "ladder" pathways that were so clearly defined for past generations does not necessarily hold true anymore.

Most people don't realize that many of those "low-skilled jobs", with low wages that used to be primarily filled by kids on college break or working for date-night money in high school, are now being filled by the blue-collar class of adults that USED to be able to earn a decent living working in the manufacturing plants that have been moved overseas and to Mexico in droves over the past few decades.

And you're exactly right. We can insist that these cash-rich corporations start paying their workers enough to at least meet their basic needs of living, or we the people who work and pay taxes can give the corporations a free "pass", and pay for those subsidized housing, healthcare, and food needs ourselves. That is really the truth and choice that we have.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:41 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,489,582 times
Not sure why it's always the Greedy corporations flush with cash versus the poor worker that has no choice but to work for minimum wage for these companies .
Also the conversation is always about how McDonalds makes billions ,but what about all the mom and pops at least in LA and SF and NYC most of the food places are small mom and pop shops not big corporations . Also a lot of McDonald's are owned by individuals some of whom started out flipping burgers at McDonald's !
They don't make millions a year generally .
Nobody working minimum wage today should be excited about a minimum wage increase . They should be thinking that they won't have to work a minimum wage job by then . There is something called increasing skills , getting a degree and starting your own business and no starting a business doesn't have to cost hundreds of thousands or millions .

People need to think more entrepreneurial

And if someone has a bunch of kids working on minimum wage , whose fault is that ?

Also the pro min wage increase crowd keeps saying how " businesses must pay a living wage !"
What is a living wage ?
It's said in L.A that one needs to make $33 hr to rent the average apartment in LA
should fast food places start paying $33 hr?

Old 05-15-2016, 03:28 PM

11,361 posts, read 16,733,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
If you think automated food service is a response to a rising minimum wage then are in fact a moron. To that end have ATM's completely replaced bank tellers????

Self check out at the grocery store has not replaced grocery clerks.

Automated food service was coming whether you lowered or raised minimum wage. It's just common sense.
Really...Home Depot used to have 10+ cashier windows open at a time. Head over there today and maybe 2 cashiers open and the rest are self serve.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:13 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,806,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Really...Home Depot used to have 10+ cashier windows open at a time. Head over there today and maybe 2 cashiers open and the rest are self serve.
Yeah so they should have lowered their prices right? Less payroll that has to budgeted.

Let me guess.

That didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events