Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 11:18 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,911,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Just as it is reaching desperately to turn saying my name is Hugh Mongous into lewdness or sexual harassment?
Yeah sure...lets pretend he was talking about that beer belly of his. Good lord, at least don't pretend to not understand 7th grade boys locker room humor. It makes you look unintelligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 11:35 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,029,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Yeah sure...lets pretend he was talking about that beer belly of his. Good lord, at least don't pretend to not understand 7th grade boys locker room humor. It makes you look unintelligent.
I disagree. There's absolutely no reason to assume that. The guy was approached and asked his name. Not unreasonably he saw that as a kind of imposition. He decided on the spur of the moment to give a 'funny' name. It's a childish and lame one - someone drew a comparison with a 'Dad Joke' or the kind of quip Bart Simpson might make. To claim sexual harassment is patently preposterous. Her subsequent crass, overwrought behavior re others was additional testimony to her unreasonableness.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:39 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,911,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
I disagree. There's absolutely no reason to assume that. The guy was approached and asked his name. Not unreasonably he saw that as a kind of imposition. He decided on the spur of the moment to give a 'funny' name. It's a childish and lame one - someone drew a comparison with a 'Dad Joke' or the kind of quip Bart Simpson might make. To claim sexual harassment is patently preposterous. Her subsequent crass, overwrought behavior re others was additional testimony to her unreasonableness.
He walked up and asked her if she wanted his name. She had even turned away from recording him. She turned back around and said "yes, I want your name".

Come on, he even gestured. Of course he was talking about his genitals. Give me a break. I cant believe some people would even argue that he wasnt.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:55 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,029,768 times
Quote:
He walked up and asked her if she wanted his name. She had even turned away from recording him. She turned back around and said "yes, I want your name".

Come on, he even gestured. Of course he was talking about his genitals. Give me a break. I cant believe some people would even argue that he wasnt.
To confirm. Yes, I now see that he readily agreed to give a name. That doesn't detract from the fact that it was a lame joke - but inconsequential. It may have been the first 'funny' name that came to mind. We can kick the sexual thing around here. But - the pun value - may well have overridden the sexual.
I think at one point later, I'm not going to review the video again, she might have even fleetingly accused someone else - a security guard - of sexual harassment.
No question - overwrought, obnoxious, self absorbed - not to mention abusive of staff, throw in the camera guy, she came into contact with.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:00 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,150,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Are you sure about that? I do not think lewd gestures and behavior fall under free speech. Maybe some of you could test out your local laws and see if it applies by doing this to random women you meet today and let me know how it works out.
Oh for cryin out loud. Do you know how many times I've been offered a mustache ride or a ride on the bologna pony? If I had called a cop, they would have laughed.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:09 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,814,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Oh for cryin out loud. Do you know how many times I've been offered a mustache ride or a ride on the bologna pony? If I had called a cop, they would have laughed.
I don't know? How many? How many times did you catch it on video? How many men's lives could you have ruined if you had? Even if they don't go to jail, do you think if they had some sort of influence like public office for instance, they might have been in some hot water with their job? Or maybe their church? Or their families? How could anyone expect for the cops to do something about a random comment made in passing with no evidence in a he said she said situation?

You think all cops would laugh it off if it were their wives, sisters, mothers, daughters?

Old 09-01-2016, 12:22 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,150,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't know? How many? How many times did you catch it on video? How many men's lives could you have ruined if you had? Even if they don't go to jail, do you think if they had some sort of influence like public office for instance, they might have been in some hot water with their job? Or maybe their church? Or their families? How could anyone expect for the cops to do something about a random comment made in passing with no evidence in a he said she said situation?

You think all cops would laugh it off if it were their wives, sisters, mothers, daughters?
To answer your questions,

Probably 50 times in my life.

Never, and don't care.

Probably none. These kind of crass people aren't usually doctors or lawyers.

I think both people in this situation were jerks.

I think that the police would have laughed at me. I had a man who outweighs me by 100 pounds basically threaten me in my own driveway, and was told " ma'am people threaten us every day"

No, if you mess with a cops family, that is a whole 'nother level of discussion.

Why are the good people of CD even arguing about these two jerks anyway?

Old 09-01-2016, 12:40 PM

36,672 posts, read 30,985,893 times
Quote:
LOL.
Pretend indeed.
He did not point to his genitals.
Should I repeat what I said: "at 2:07 we see his hands at his belly, palms semi upturned as a gesture someone would make like what?" If you read that to say he was talking about his beer belly I'm afraid it my be your intelligence in question.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:08 PM

2,567 posts, read 2,228,568 times
Those UK folks are obviously a bit more sensitive...

Old 09-01-2016, 02:27 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,814,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Never, and don't care.

Okay, but somewhere in your mind must exist a place where you can imagine another woman might, if it doesn't than fine - I just don't get the need to impose your threshold of caring on others. She didn't like, called the guy out on it loudly and with video and he wisely made his exit. I think he might think twice before he does that again. Even if a bunch of C/d posters think he was justified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events