Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 01:28 PM

776 posts, read 583,203 times

Advertisements

If she was to go to court for some of the issues earlier stated, could you imaging a jury of her peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 02:12 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,656,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
The point?

I am not excusing her behavior, but he purposely antagonized her for kicks. He is a jerk
Just who was antagonizing whom? He was minding his own business until some obnoxious twit came up, stuck a microphone in his face, and started demanding answers to questions that were none of her business. Anything that happened from that point on was entirely on her. He didn't exactly ask her to come up and start harassing him. If someone did that to me, I'd yank her around like a yo-yo too, and I'd make her look a lot more stupid than this guy did by the time I was through.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:26 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,830,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Just who was antagonizing whom? He was minding his own business until some obnoxious twit came up, stuck a microphone in his face, and started demanding answers to questions that were none of her business.
That is true.
Quote:
Anything that happened from that point on was entirely on her.
No. What if he killed her? You said anything. Anything would include murder. If it were me, I'd be highly annoyed, but I would still just stay quiet and walk away. Getting asked a question by an obnoxious person doesn't mean I get to make lewd jokes or that it is okay for me to lower myself to jackass level.
Quote:
He didn't exactly ask her to come up and start harassing him. If someone did that to me, I'd yank her around like a yo-yo too, and I'd make her look a lot more stupid than this guy did by the time I was through.
Well, then you'd be in jail for assault and battery. Nothing she did up until that point was illegal and warrants you (or that guy) laying hands to her. She'd have the last laugh ruining your life when all you had to do was keep a cool head and walk away. What is so damaging about someone (admittedly obnoxiously) asking you your name to warrant that?

Old 08-30-2016, 03:53 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,200,083 times
She would have probably been fine if he said his name was Gabe Athouse.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

No. What if he killed her? You said anything. Anything would include murder. If it were me, I'd be highly annoyed, but I would still just stay quiet and walk away.
Sure, but he obviously did not kill her, and I didn't say "anything that might possibly have happened." I said that "anything that happened". Anything that happened after she walked up and started popping questions at him was on her.

Quote:
Getting asked a question by an obnoxious person doesn't mean I get to make lewd jokes or that it is okay for me to lower myself to jackass level.
Well, actually, yeah - it does. Why do you think it doesn't? If I'm minding my own business and a total stranger comes up and asks me for my name, I'm under no obligation to reply in a courteous manner. Had I been Mr. Mongous, I would have been even more rude than he - I would have just come straight out and told her "none of your ****** business."

I think it's very rude to just march up to a total stranger and ask, "excuse me, what is your name?" Had she led into it a little more gradually, perhaps by introducing herself first and saying something like, "I was wondering if you'd care to talk a little with me about this police station issue or whatever," that might be different. But she didn't do that - just went up to him and asked him "what's your name?" If a total stranger does that to me, without giving me any reason why they're asking, screw 'em.

Granted, the guy could have been more courteous and accommodating had he chosen to, but he was certainly under no obligation to do so. I don't understand why you think he was. If you believe people should abide by such a delicate social convention, then where does walking up to total strangers and asking them to identify themselves fit into that? IS there some reason you don't consider that to be rude? If you don't want people being rude to you, don't confront total strangers and ask them personal questions.

Quote:
Well, then you'd be in jail for assault and battery. Nothing she did up until that point was illegal and warrants you (or that guy) laying hands to her. She'd have the last laugh ruining your life when all you had to do was keep a cool head and walk away. What is so damaging about someone (admittedly obnoxiously) asking you your name to warrant that?
Warrant what? I didn't say or mean "yank her around" physically - I said "yank her around too", which would imply (to someone with basic reading comprehension skills) yanking her around in the same manner as Mr. Mongous - in other words, by messing with her verbally and baiting her into making an even bigger ass of herself than she did.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:39 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,922,668 times
Quote:
Just who was antagonizing whom? He was minding his own business until some obnoxious twit came up, stuck a microphone in his face, and started demanding answers to questions that were none of her business. Anything that happened from that point on was entirely on her. He didn't exactly ask her to come up and start harassing him. If someone did that to me, I'd yank her around like a yo-yo too, and I'd make her look a lot more stupid than this guy did by the time I was through.
Did you watch it? He engaged her first. At least in what she had recorded. He said "do you want to know my name". She didn't ask him first. He didn't have to engage her at all, he didn't have to make a crass joke either. He should have kept walking.

Again, I am not excusing her behavior but he wasnt an angel. I know a lot of parents and grandparents who would have given their son a beat down for saying that to a woman.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:45 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,922,668 times
I would be willing to bet many BLM protesters are just so disappointed by her over the top reaction.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Did you watch it? He engaged her first. At least in what she had recorded. He said "do you want to know my name". She didn't ask him first. He didn't have to engage her at all, he didn't have to make a crass joke either. He should have kept walking.

Again, I am not excusing her behavior but he wasnt an angel. I know a lot of parents and grandparents who would have given their son a beat down for saying that to a woman.
I'm actually watching it again right now in another tab, and it's clear that he was not the one who approached her. As he walked away, you can see him pointing at himself uncertainly and asking, "me? you want my name?" That's when he starts to turn toward the camera, and you can hear her voice saying, "Yes - you. What is your name, please?" It seems clear that the first time he spoke to her was in response to something she said, apparently a request to identify himself.

As far as your assessment of the man is concerned, I'd go even further than you. You're right, he wasn't an angel - but more than that, he was a jerk. He had the right to be as much of a jerk as he wanted to be, but if I were him, I wouldn't consider that my proudest moment.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,382,727 times
Quote:
I'm actually watching it again right now in another tab, and it's clear that he was not the one who approached her. As he walked away, you can see him pointing at himself uncertainly and asking, "me? you want my name?" That's when he starts to turn toward the camera, and you can hear her voice saying, "Yes - you. What is your name, please?" It seems clear that the first time he spoke to her was in response to something she said, apparently a request to identify himself.

As far as your assessment of the man is concerned, I'd go even further than you. You're right, he wasn't an angel - but more than that, he was a jerk. He had the right to be as much of a jerk as he wanted to be, but if I were him, I wouldn't consider that my proudest moment.
Perhaps. But she's fortunate she didn't encounter his cousin, Jye Gantic.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:54 PM

545 posts, read 597,018 times
Quote:
While this lady was nuts and trying to make a story where there was none (just like the moms who weren't able to bring there babies into an R rated movie and tried to make it about anti-breastfeeding)...this is a topic ripe for racism. Let's be mindful of that.
Oh Lawd! The City-Data "Thought Patrol" here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events