Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 07:37 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times

Advertisements

My roommate freshman went home every weekend it was amazing. Then I moved off campus with a few friends and they were always studying and never saw them. I feel bad for person who gets this roommate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 10:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
That was my feeling all along and posted as much. This child is a product of her upbringing. The type of parents who would probably sue the roommate for defamation rather than admit their daughter is the problem.
Exactly. But what I notice a lot is that we often see those parents criticize other parents who do that for their kids while they "don't for their's." Typical hypocrite, make sure your cage is clean before you call another's cage dirty.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
My roommate freshman went home every weekend it was amazing. Then I moved off campus with a few friends and they were always studying and never saw them. I feel bad for person who gets this roommate.
My freshman roommate moved out because he didn't do his mandatory dorm work (we had a freshman based course designed to create better connections on campus.)

Old 09-21-2016, 12:07 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Oh come on! People 35 years older then you thought you thought you were an entitled, spoiled special snow flake too. Good lord.
I am not the person you're responding to, but when I was a college student, people 35 years older than me thought I was a serious young guy who would be a fine professor someday... if I could get off drugs, that is. That was typical for the times.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:53 AM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times
Big deal. Potential roommate writes a note of what she wants. If you don't agree, you and/or she doesn't move in or you move out. Back in my day, this is usually said face-to-face in a more tactful manner vs. a note or SMS like milennials do.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I am not the person you're responding to, but when I was a college student, people 35 years older than me thought I was a serious young guy who would be a fine professor someday... if I could get off drugs, that is. That was typical for the times.
That is the same song but a different chorus my friend. The point is ALL GENERATIONS look down at their generational children. Greatest hated the boomers during the sixties, then gen X were known as the slackers in the late eighties, early nineties, now it's let's crap on millennials. Face it, these stereotypes start off somewhere and nine times out of ten, it's upbringing or lack there of.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Big deal. Potential roommate writes a note of what she wants. If you don't agree, you and/or she doesn't move in or you move out. Back in my day, this is usually said face-to-face in a more tactful manner vs. a note or SMS like milennials do.
That's because it is easier. Should i wait for move in day to know my roommate whom I never met before has the mini fridge or if I have to bring a fan? Plus this typically builds a relationship with them.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:03 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
I think that this is actually a perfect time to get university housing involved. I don't think that the girl who sent the e-mail should be disciplined but the other two roommates should not be subjected to living with someone like that. Trust me, if the girl who sent the e-mail is acting that crazy and referring to herself as a "ticking time bomb" before she even stepped foot on campus it will escalate to a much uglier situation by second semester and by that time it will be much more inconvenient to make housing changes.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:23 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
I'd have just ignored Ms. Entitlement and chosen the bed and desk I wanted. She seems spoiled and thinks her verbal demands will be enough to get her own way - I don't think she would be expecting a physical altercation and would most likely back down if she felt threatened. I'd have been sitting on the bed she demanded when she arrived, had my things hanging in the "white" closet and my desk stacked with my personal items.

The article and e-mails were poorly written - UCLA students, huh?

My daughter graduated from UCLA and she had to deal with difficult roommates as well. I gave her suggestions on how to handle the situation when she asked me but I wanted her to be able to handle sticky situations on her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events