Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 12:45 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times

Advertisements

I am astounded by the hand-wringers on this thread. It's too bad the thief didn't die. Period.
Excusing bad behavior simply encourages more bad behavior. F-em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 02:43 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I am astounded by the hand-wringers on this thread. It's too bad the thief didn't die. Period.
Excusing bad behavior simply encourages more bad behavior. F-em!
Yep.

All these people here seem to be avoiding the few facts we do have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
There are a variety of charges that could be brought against him, and I thought for sure there was going to be facing charges, but the last sentence of the article (I think that is where it is) says he's probably not going to be facing any charges. It's mind blowing.
Quote:
The driver broke the law...hit and run, and attempted murder and or aggravated assault. If he ran the guy over during or immediately afterwards that's one think, but some time had passed. This is basically promoting vigilantism. If the police don't care about vigilantism, we don't need police. Everybody should just form a posse. He could have called 911 between fleeing and spotting the suspect. The thug's medical bills are going to be more than prosecuting the victim turned vigilante if we want to make it about cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Totally.

Regardless of the time line, if you hit someone with your car...yes you must, at minimum, call 911 when you are in a safe place. But technically, you shouldn't leave the scene.

I don't know about leaving a dying man and not reporting it...but anyone with a moral compass would call him help, regardless if he was a thief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yeah, you and I know that, but this guy just got here a month ago and speaks zero English, so who knows what he was thinking? I'm inclined to cut him some slack since the cops say the surveillance tapes back his story once they found him and got an interpreter in there.

I'm prejudiced because this happened to a colleague of mine. He was using an ATM and was hit from behind and knocked unconscious before being robbed. Sad thing? He's a dwarf. Guy isn't much more than three feet tall. You should have seen the facial bruising from the face plant. These armed robbery types don't care who they prey on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
He was probably scared and didnt think to.....

The driver IS LUCKY he didnt get hurt!!

Instead they disregard this

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Glad to hear the system is working how it should.

Theres not enough information in that one story to determine he wasn't going to. It was somewhere after 11pm the first time, he went back after he got rid of his family, and the cops found the car around midnight. It doesn't say if the car was ditched or if they pulled him over immediately after he left.

Either way, the suspect attacked him twice, and they had the video to prove it. It was self-defense.
and just continue on with

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Not what this thread is about. Do your race baiting somewhere else.

Quote:
Would people be saying this if he was undocumented from Mexico?
Quote:
Or even documented from Mexico but doesn't speak english?

Old 09-23-2016, 06:18 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I was not race baiting...I was making an observation.

But you know...there are just some really heartless people who post here, I don't know why I bother.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:20 AM

11,770 posts, read 5,783,856 times
Well add me to the heartless - immigrant or not, Hispanic , black , white - I don't care - the scum got what he deserved. I'm sick of coddling thugs while innocents continue to get hurt.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:03 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
I was not race baiting...I was making an observation.

But you know...there are just some really heartless people who post here, I don't know why I bother.
That's your opinion, not a fact, and I disagree.

I think many people are just fed up. If you're not, bully for you.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:11 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
If he ran the guy over during or immediately afterwards that's one think, but some time had passed. This is basically promoting vigilantism. If the police don't care about vigilantism, we don't need police.
Look at it this way: our (USA) legal system gives more rights to violent thugs than to their victims, both officially and socially. Europe is ten times worse in that regard. So vigilantism ain't looking so bad at this point. Not saying I condone it 100%, but just saying. The mugging victim probably immigrated from a county with a normal legal system, where he'd be applauded for his actions; in the Police States of America, he's getting ripped to shreds.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Look at it this way: our (USA) legal system gives more rights to violent thugs than to their victims, both officially and socially. Europe is ten times worse in that regard. So vigilantism ain't looking so bad at this point. Not saying I condone it 100%, but just saying. The mugging victim probably immigrated from a county with a normal legal system, where he'd be applauded for his actions; in the Police States of America, he's getting ripped to shreds.
oh gawd...

Victim was from a country with a "normal" legal system...? Hmm...like one in *gasp* Europe??

Old 09-23-2016, 08:29 AM

973 posts, read 914,379 times
Meh, mugger got what he deserved. Still surprised the driver didn't face any charges though.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:38 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm responding in part to the post you quoted, which I can't seem to find from the OP, where he talks about vigilantism, but this guy didn't go back for vengeance, at least not according to what he said. He went back hoping his card would be there, thinking the armed robber would be long gone. A logical assumption on the latter, not so much the former. Most thieves do just take the money and run. Maybe he was hoping the card was on the ground.

Now, as far as your post, you might want to read the article before responding. Then you would know where the man in question immigrated from. (I will give you a hint, its probably not the continent you think ) and secondly, how is he getting "ripped to shreds" when he's not being charged with anything at all?

Now that all that is cleared up. IMHO.....

I don't think the victim did anything wrong, and I'm glad he got his money back. He doesn't speak English and probably doesn't know 911. He might have called otherwise. He had been in the country for four weeks.

The armed robber is expected to recover from his injuries, so watch your backs at your nearest ATMs.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:41 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Victim was from a country with a "normal" legal system...? Hmm...like one in *gasp* Europe??
I was saying "Europe" is a somewhat stereotypical sense, to refer to Western and Northern Europe. That's where criminals have the most rights. In other parts, self-defense laws are more on the victim's side. It says the victim was from Portugal. Considering his actions in the robbery, I'd assume that Portugal doesn't coddle criminals as strongly as, say, Sweden.

Either way, I'm very pleased to see our police force wise up and not charge the guy with anything. I'm hoping the trend continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events