Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 01:35 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I think you're missing the point.
I don't think I am...

You know, if everyone agreed, there would be no point in any of these threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 01:41 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't think I am...

You know, if everyone agreed, there would be no point in any of these threads.
I think you're still missing the point.

Its about being proactive to self-defense, and not being content, with "I will just call 911 after they are done and I run away".

but if

Quote:
Ive been held at knife point with my infant son in a foreign country.

I was robbed for halloween candy by gang members (no joke)

Been the victim of car jacking, sexual assault, physical assault, home invasions, etc.
Doesn't motivate you to do more to protect yourself, there's probably nothing more to say, other than

GOOD LUCK.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:04 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Quote:

Its about being proactive to self-defense, and not being content, with "I will just call 911 after they are done and I run away".
I say call 911. Not going to deal with crazy people.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:48 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
There are a variety of charges that could be brought against him, and I thought for sure there was going to be facing charges, but the last sentence of the article (I think that is where it is) says he's probably not going to be facing any charges. It's mind blowing.
I haven't read through the whole thread, but probably as soon as the perp comes around he'll get a sleaze lawyer to go after the victim with a law suit. That's how it works here.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:31 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It's scary to me using a drive-uo ATM after dark; does anybody else feel so utterly vunerable or am I the only one?

I leave the car on, in drive, seatbelt off, windows locked, doors locked, my door open to block off 1 gap & I pull up as close to the ATM as possible.

Once your catd is in & your PIN entered your screwed until the transaction is over. I pulled up to one the other night WITH my husband in the car & realized with some relief that I was not as vunerable as I usually am by myself with children in the car.

I said as much & he rolled his eyes at me like I was nuts ...

There are two things I need to say here:

1. It is incredibly dangerous to leave your car in drive and open the door. If you absent-mindedly take your foot off the brake, you run the risk of damaging the door (in the best case) or getting run over by your own car if you have a leg outside.

2. Against an armed robber, what difference does it make whether your husband is in the car or not? Hell, you could have four men in the car and it would make no difference. All it would do is up the stakes and make it even more imperative that you hand over what is being asked for and let the cops deal with it later. Or, gas it and try to drive away. The latter option is just as easy to do whether you're alone or accompanied.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:18 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
I think you're still missing the point.

but if

Doesn't motivate you to do more to protect yourself, there's probably nothing more to say, other than

GOOD LUCK.
I did...I moved, twice, to safer places. And I stopped walking alone in that country when I was there. I just made better, safer choices.

I am ok with him hitting the guy with his car if that is what he had to do to escape. I had a time when a guy tried to get me out of my car, I don't know why, but it wasnt good. I was 18 and sitting at a beach doing homework in my car and he came up and tried to get me to unlock my door and get out. When I refused, he picked up a big rock raised it over his head and told me "b**** get out of the f-ing car now!", I put it in reverse and sped off.

I didn't come back and hit him. I went to the closest pay phone and called 911. It would have been illegal if I then sped forwards and hit him, especially if I didn't then report it. And if I went back looking for anything before calling 911...and it happened again. I don't know. I think it would look like I was looking for a fight.

So I am a flight type person, not a fight type person.

But following anything like that...wether you fight or flight, calling 911 is what you do. Especially if you fight.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:31 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,089,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I haven't read through the whole thread, but probably as soon as the perp comes around he'll get a sleaze lawyer to go after the victim with a law suit. That's how it works here.
Yeah I know...

Old 09-24-2016, 09:34 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The driver broke the law...hit and run, and attempted murder and or aggravated assault. If he ran the guy over during or immediately afterwards that's one think, but some time had passed. This is basically promoting vigilantism. If the police don't care about vigilantism, we don't need police. Everybody should just form a posse. He could have called 911 between fleeing and spotting the suspect. The thug's medical bills are going to be more than prosecuting the victim turned vigilante if we want to make it about cost.
How do you figure it's a hit-and-run? There was no "accident". And no time had passed, none whatsoever. He ran the robber over while the robber was attacking him.

You obviously didn't read the article. The article says the robber was committing assault with a deadly weapon (and possibly attempted murder) when the driver ran into him. Even if the robber had died, there's nowhere in this country where it could possibly be more than manslaughter ("imperfect" self-defense), but it seems like self-defense was not excessive, so no crime by the driver at all.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 09-24-2016 at 09:43 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 09:48 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Quote:
Poland has emergency numbers, nearly all countries do. Before going abroad, you figure out how to get help before even going.
That's almost (but not quite) the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this site. I've never done it, and I've never heard of anyone else doing it.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:08 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Quote:
Get to safety and call the cops.

Ive been held at knife point with my infant son in a foreign country.

I was robbed for halloween candy by gang members (no joke)

Been the victim of car jacking, sexual assault, physical assault, home invasions, etc.

I pretty much always do the same thing, get to safety and call 911
Gotta call B.S. on this post. I can't believe you have been the victim of ALL of these crimes and yet you still side with the criminal and "his rights"!
There is a bridge somewhere that is not being guarded while you post this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events