Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 05:49 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am a diabetic. If a store manager had done that to me I would have made him very unhappy after I finished drinking his god damned soda.

the only way some businesses will ever hire sane supervisors is by getting fined some really big numbers. I figure this fine was low by a factor of 10 or so.
I agree 100%

That money is NOTHING to them. They are building new dollar general stores everywhere there is space in my area, along with their competition, Family Dollar. To understand how bad it is, there are at least five of these stores for every Starbucks around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 06:42 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,351 times
She PAID for the drink after her medical emergency cleared. She was fired because she violated Dollar General's Grazing Policy. Dollar General lost the lawsuit because they violated the Disability Acts. It's that simple.

I agree with the verdict.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:25 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Reading some of the response makes me understand why laws are passed to protect the stupid, and why we now have a nation of irresponsible fools who thinks it's everyone elses duty to take care of their problems.

Please! The are other forms of glucose besides juice.

Sounds like this employee had a need to be more special than other employees who weren't permitted to drink juice at their registers. Ummmm... drinks spill, ya know, which is why they are taboo at the registers.

What's wrong with hard candy that is discreetly tucked away into a pocket or purse? Maybe it's because anybody can do that, which wouldn't make her feel Special above the rest.

No doubt she failed to divulge to DG during an interview that her diabetes was this out of control and that she had to be armed with orange juice - HIS orange juice - during working hours, and there would be a need for her to "drink now, pay later". DG would have found another reason not to hire her.

She an "entitled b***h". And now she's half a mill richer because of it. Let all the fools shout for joy.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:38 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Good for her.

Even if she wasn't diabetic, what's the big deal about having a drink to sip on throughout the day? Why should a person have to go for hours drinking nothing when it can easily be right there and doesn't take 5 seconds to sip?

"Because that's the rules"--sorry, that's not good enough. Stop making stupid rules and then people won't break them.

Heck I've done cashiering, and not only have I had sodas nearby, I've even had food, things like chicken nuggets. So what? Do people really think that cashiers should have to go for HOURS eating and drinking nothing? As a customer, so long as the cashier isn't slurping like a cow, I see no harm in someone munching on food as they go along. If it helps someone do their job better because they don't have hunger pains distracting them, what's the big deal? Cashiers get hungry and thirsty too.
That is a very good point. I am really surprised that cashiers in this country still have to stand all day. The last time I visited the UK, all the till workers at Tesco and ASDA had stools to sit on. Here, if the cashier is fortunate, they have a cushioned mat.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:47 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
Agree with the verdict. Dollar General messed up by not providing reasonable accommodations. This is the law they were found guilty and now paying the price. This is a lessons learned for Dollar General, and a cost of doing business.

No imagine if the employee did not drink the orange juice and had a hypoglycemic attack, Dollar General could be paying in the millions.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
So, she was basically stealing from her employer, and she sues....and wins?!?!?!?!

Did you even read the article? She paid for the juice, just after she drank it, which was why they fired her.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
If she had paid for it and had it available at her work station all this would not have happened. It is not fair to blame the store or management. She drank it before it was paid for. Would she have paid for it? Who knows.
Did you read the article? She did pay for it. Also, she asked her manager for the accommodation to have it at her workstation for situations like this. Her manager said no, contravening the company's published policy which allowed it. That is why the award was so huge, punitive damages for violating their own ADA related policy.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The diabetic cashier should have been more prepared... such as bringing her own emergency glucose in her purse. She received a ridiculous amount of money for consuming the store's product before paying for it, which boils down to her being stupid and irresponsible.

It is never proper to consume a store's product prior to paying. Well... up until now, that is.

Somewhere between childhood and now, personal responsibility flew the coop.
I'm not familiar enough with diabetic coma to know whether hard candy spikes insulin faster than juice/soda, but I would expect that one could ingest a volume of liquid more quickly than sucking on a piece of candy.

The bottom line is that before the incident, she was proactive and asked her store manager for an accommodation because she knew this could happen. Dollar General has a policy specifically allowing this accommodation to support ADA impacted employees. Her local manager refused to allow this, which generated the need for this emergency action to be taken.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:58 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Her "Paying" for it before she drank it, brings up a interesting point, She was the only cashier on duty. Who would she Pay? Most stores have policies against, cashiers ringing up there own sales, Many also have rules against them having there purses, or wallets at work location if they are cashiers. They don't want them to have any of there money on them.

Stores in this category run with very low staff, there were probably only 3 staff member in the entire store. Her (The cashier), a Stocker/Backup Cashier, The Manger (also can do Cashier), Often they require the manager to sign off (with a key or code in the register for employee transaction) For it to be rung up would take the entire staff of the store to be involved. Right then and there. In the few minutes she needed the Juice.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:59 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,351 times
To those who called her entitled...

Needing minimal medical accommodation makes you an entitled snowflake? Really?!! She is working. She is not using her diabetes as an excuse to be on the dole. Her need is not one that materially affects the employer or her performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events