Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 01:56 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Not against bear spray, but I'm not one to stand around waiting for it to work. A Glock 10 a trained person should be able to get off 2-6 accurate shots inside 5 seconds. Where I train the graduation standard is to draw and fire two shots from a concealed holster at 5 yards in 1.6 seconds with 9mm or .45. A big caliber revolver will be slower.

A Mossy 500 or Rem 870 is probably the best choice, though a semi auto has the advantage of faster follow up shots. But this would not be a good time for a jam. I sometimes wonder if a double barrel coach gun might not be best. Two hits will probably stop it, a two second reload and two more most likely will finish it. Or not.

Maybe an M203 with high explosive grenades?
At under 125 feet, the standard M406 HE round may not be armed before impact. The M433 HEDP (Dual Purpose) round may likewise not arm at such short range, but being rated for penetration of up to 2" of steel might still be somewhat effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 05:30 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Sure go right ahead and tell all of these people this.

Humans will eventually take over the territory of every sentient creature on earth.
I'm afraid that before this happens, the stock markets will collapse, there will soon be nothing remaining that is civilized and the untended and exploding nuclear power plants (all 448 of them), will take out every living thing on the planet. No post-apocalyptic, survivalist scenarios after that. It doesn't seem that anyone on the Self-sufficiency and Preparedness Forum is adding that reality to their discussions.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:51 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
At under 125 feet, the standard M406 HE round may not be armed before impact. The M433 HEDP (Dual Purpose) round may likewise not arm at such short range, but being rated for penetration of up to 2" of steel might still be somewhat effective.
THANK YOU so much for this valuable information. I will just leave my M203 at home with the .50 cal machine gun and carry the bazooka instead.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:10 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
OK we can stop arguing about the best gun to shoot a bear with. These even come gold plated!

Old 10-17-2016, 10:09 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I hike, camp and hunt here, and like Orr I carry both spray and a side arm (.44 Mag). My mind is already made up- surprise charge is bear spray. I'm a good shot with my .44, but a CNS hit on a charging, pi$$ed off mammal at full speed requires luck in addition to skill. I'd have to defer to the fog first..

We rotate our spray cans, so each year we discharge the old ones in practice sweeps in the yard. Pretty impressive coverage.

It's totally up to the individual, I offer no argument to make. Use your own judgement and be prepared.
When I go hunting I always take a friend who is slower than me...

Old 10-17-2016, 10:25 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
One who lacks adequate training and practice, should reconsider whether carrying a gun is the correct solution.

I have enough training and practice that I can draw and put two shots in center mass (from the hip) in under two seconds, in six seconds I can empty a magazine or cylinder. I typically carry either a .45 auto, a .357mag or a .44mag. I might be a tad slower with follow-up shots using the .44mag, as it's a snub-nose and the muzzle has a tendency to climb more than the others...but I think the more powerful cartridge more than makes up for the slower rate of fire.

There's a Winchester 30-30 and .401SL handy if I'm near the house and can afford the extra time and longer range.

Bears are an every-day concern for me, as I keep bees and the local bears think that is a lovely snack.

ETA: If the guy in the OPs article still had his pistol in the holster, and went for the spray first, he was wrong. If he had time to deploy the spray, he had time to use the pistol. I know which one *I* would choose first, he knows what the 'correct' choice should have been...now. (Note, the OPs original link did not mention a pistol, a subsequent NY Times article I found did mention the pistol, but only that it had been "knocked away", it is unclear whether it was out or still holstered.)

Despite most people's Internet badassery most who even shoot regularly have never been put into a high stress situation while trying to address a target. So in reality being able to place two shots in the center mass on a paper target vs a charging bear greatly impacts accuracy in the real world

Old 10-18-2016, 07:25 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,730 times
'da bears'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events