Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 02:14 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,189,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
It's a myth that baby boomers have a stronger work ethic than later generations
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1011135603.htm

it's not a myth and I have a strong mind to look this up on the Google and post the proof right back here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 04:33 PM

10,087 posts, read 7,295,153 times
I'd like to see actual data try to prove that boomers have higher productivity.

If anything, millennials that have so far hit the workforce have increased productivity. There was a downturn during the recession because of all the job loss. However, all I see now is productivity going up.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:51 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,336,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Well my generation X son and my millennial would say differently. They're always thanking my DH and I for giving them good work ethics and morals as many they deal with do just enough to collect a paycheck if that.
Same here! My kids thank me for teaching the value of work. All three have them have always been employed.

And my husband has to train 20 and 30-somethings. He said it's hard to teach them anything because they are always on their CELL PHONES, not paying attention to what they are supposed to be learning.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:57 PM

45,594 posts, read 60,986,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'd like to see actual data try to prove that boomers have higher productivity.

If anything, millennials that have so far hit the workforce have increased productivity. There was a downturn during the recession because of all the job loss. However, all I see now is productivity going up.
Or is the bump up due to increased automation/computerization of processes over the time period? That's something that almost happens after every recession.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:51 PM

10,087 posts, read 7,295,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Or is the bump up due to increased automation/computerization of processes over the time period? That's something that almost happens after every recession.
Increased productivity via computer may appear like laziness to some.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:53 AM

973 posts, read 920,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
The pioneers who came and tamed this land and exploited its resources to build a great empire had the best work ethic of all
Pretty sure they sat on their lazy asses and enslaved others to build the foundation and backbone of this country.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:28 AM

724 posts, read 595,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
The pioneers who came and tamed this land and exploited its resources to build a great empire had the best work ethic of all
Actually they had a crappy work ethic in that they made a whole bunch of other people do their work for them, for free. Aka slavery.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:42 AM

45,594 posts, read 60,986,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Pretty sure they sat on their lazy asses and enslaved others to build the foundation and backbone of this country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
Actually they had a crappy work ethic in that they made a whole bunch of other people do their work for them, for free. Aka slavery.
Pretty sure you both need to take some more US History classes.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:38 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,189,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Pretty sure you both need to take some more US History classes.

and let's not forget us baby boomers' significant roll in taming of the West and braving deplorable conditions and hostile savages during our covered wagon treks across the unknown vastness beyond the Mississippi

Old 10-14-2016, 09:47 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,817,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
With the economy the way it's been since the recession, many Millennials are struggling to simply get by, many are working several low paying jobs, many are underpaid, etc. It may not be ideal work but is honest and hard work.
The job creation numbers don't ever tell the true story. Sure a certain number of jobs have been created in the last 8 years but a lot of them are low paying jobs.

Wages are stagnant too with whatever level of job you want to look at paying the same as it did years and years ago.

I don't see anything changing in the near future either due to who is most likely going to be running the country as of Jan. 1, 2017. Expect everything to be the same, or possibly even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events