Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:57 PM

776 posts, read 580,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Another bad example for young people. Do the right thing and get nothing. Be a loser drug addict and get an award. Yay rock n roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
He lost his voice and he lost his mind. Yah, he's a loser.
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Vincent van Gogh, Henri Marie Raymond de Toulouse-Lautrec, Ernest Hemingway, Thomas de Quincey, Margeaux Hemingway, Edger Allen Poe, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Ludwig van Beethoven, Edvard Munch, Francisco Goya.
These are just a example of artist that were drug abusers and/or people that lost their mind. Are they losers? If needed I could add to the list as this are older references.
Temptation's page flies out the door
You follow, find yourself at war
Watch waterfalls of pity roar
You feel to moan but unlike before
You discover
That you'd just be
One more person crying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I'm noticing a continuous cheapening of the the prize.---like giving the Peace Prize to Obama for just winning the election back in 2008. While I am a fan of Obama and voted for him twice, he has done nothing in the last 8 years that qualified him for the world Peace Prize.
Yes, the board that decides these things are evidently bias. It's like watching Jeopardy and thinking there is a chance for someone other than an Anglo-Saxon Christian to win.
While preachers preach of evil fates
Teachers teach that knowledge waits
Can lead to hundred-dollar plates
Goodness hides behind its gates
But even the President of the United States
Sometimes must have
To stand naked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 03:39 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Brilliant lyricist, mediocre singer... I've always gotten much more from reading his work than hearing it. Maybe that's why they are considering it literature.

Some of my Asian-American/-Canadian friends are crying racism and posting stuff about how much they hate white people over this, since Haruki Murakami was also in the running.
Hmm. Granted, Murukami is one of the greatest writers of this generation, the influence and volume of work from Dylan is just as deserved. They're both brilliant.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
He is America's greatest living poet.

From the way some people are freaking out you'd think the Nobel committee gave the Prize in Literature to Trump....

Old 10-14-2016, 05:04 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
The answer is blowing in the wind !

Old 10-14-2016, 09:15 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
"Disillusioned words like bullets bark
As human gods aim for their marks
Made everything from toy guns that spark
To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
It's easy to see without looking too far
That not much
Is really sacred.

-Bob Dylan "It's Alright Ma (I'm only bleeding), 1965

Last edited by toosie; 11-01-2016 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: TOS - copyright - next time include a link

Old 10-15-2016, 05:41 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Well if this award bothers anybody, don't go and look at some of the past recipients of the "peace prize".

Old 10-15-2016, 05:47 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well if this award bothers anybody, don't go and look at some of the past recipients of the "peace prize".
I laughed at this award myself but as you say... look at the peace prize winners... makes you wonder why they even have these daft awards.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:01 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Doing drugs makes you a loser. It means you can't cope. I know, because I used to be an alcoholic and I woke up to my bad choices and chose to be sober.
So..by your own logic, you're a loser? ..or is it just you that gets credit for recovery?

Old 10-15-2016, 07:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
one of the best things for us Bob-bos about this is a chance to see all the career introspection and write-ups celebrating his catalog and he didn't even have to pass on like so many great artist do to really focus in on their contributions.

heard a review of his concert (he's been on tour since 1988) in Coachella the day the award was announced and Bob didn't say a word the whole concert. Not too unusual for Dylan but he usually at leasts introduces the band and maybe a hello, but not a peep from Bob the whole concert. He'll probably show up to collect his award but don't expect much of a speech. After all, everything he has to say is right there in his songs.

from Wki...Oslo, 2007

Old 10-15-2016, 08:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
He is a great songwriter. I was so surprised to see this, though. I don't know if I've ever seen the Nobel awarded for someone's lyrics before.
I feel the same way. I can appreciate his talent, and have for years. But I feel it doesn't fit in a Literature category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events