Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 03:19 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times

Advertisements

The fault of this all lies with the bullies. Not the bus drivers.

The bus driver has to safely drive many kids on one bus. He cannot monitor everything they do and say because of this.

I've heard too many negative stories about school buses that I won't ever let my kids on one. There is more bad than good on these buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 04:07 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
When I was in grade school, there were no school buses. Everyone, except just a few pampered rich kids, walked or ran to school and back.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:37 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When I was in grade school, there were no school buses. Everyone, except just a few pampered rich kids, walked or ran to school and back.
Or rode bikes. In my state, there is no bus service unless you live 2 miles from school, which no one did because the town is 1.3 miles at its widest point. Now in the same town all the kids get rides to school.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:37 PM

160 posts, read 163,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post

The bus driver has to safely drive many kids on one bus. He cannot monitor everything they do and say because of this.

I've heard too many negative stories about school buses that I won't ever let my kids on one. There is more bad than good on these buses.

But he should told driver so the student receive new assign seat.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:43 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Where did the note come from??

Somethings are not adding up.

Thank goodness the child is safe. A parents worse fear...

Old 10-30-2016, 05:02 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,134 times
If the 5 year old would lie about the note, maybe he would lie about the bullies. Maybe he just felt like walking, and was upset that the rules prohibited it, so he subverted those rules. We should never jump to conclusions about what really happens. He might have even been scared of the smell of diesel from the bus engine, but afraid to admit it.

Besides that, if he was really just afraid of spitballs, is that really something that should cause major fear? How much pain do they cause? It seems to me spitballs are more like a game. Like when your dog grabs your cash and runs off with it. He's not trying to steal your cash, but just wants to provoke you into a race. Maybe his mom should make him a spitball jacket, like a hoodie that protects from spitballs.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:10 PM

146 posts, read 162,562 times
The new rules in school districts are insane. The bus driver is probably not authorized to "discipline children." In our district, they cannot even raise their voice to a child. The bullies are not to blame, but rather the parents of the bullies and the school for not informing them of their child's behavior.

If (as a student riding the bus) I would have bullied someone, our bus driver would have read me the riot act, and by the time I got home my parents would have been informed--with all of the dreaded consequences soon to follow.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:47 PM

51 posts, read 43,537 times
when my daughter was in the middle school. she was being beat up by this other girl.as they were walking home from school. The school started letting my daughter leave school 15 minutes early so the bully couldn't be on the streets the same time as my daughter. shame and of course ten yrs later they are friends.

I myself never liked this girl after my daughter grew up and they started being friends but keep my mouth hut and minded my own busness. the joys of child hood, and now adult hood. lol At least she graduated and got married and has 2 children today. And who watches her kids? lol yep!! the once bully now works with the state as a baby sitter.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:49 PM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Who's running the place, the kids or the grownups?

The bus driver is at fault for not accounting for all of the kids on the route before leaving. The bus driver may also be at fault if (s)he knew or should have known there was an ongoing problem and neither dealt with it him/herself nor informed the school administrators about it. The administration is at fault for letting the bus leave before all of the kids on the route were accounted for. They are also at fault for letting a 5-year-old just walk off on his own without so much as verifying with the parent if that was OK. And the administration may be at fault if they were notified that there was an ongoing problem on the bus and did not adequately deal with it.

Of all the blame to go around here, the bullies themselves fall near the bottom if nobody has pulled them aside to tell them their behavior is unacceptable and won't be tolerated. Kids are not naturally kind to each other, especially as they get older. Kindness is a learned behavior that must constantly be taught and reinforced. If that's not happening, then the adults failed in that aspect too.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:07 PM

146 posts, read 162,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Who's running the place, the kids or the grownups?

The bus driver is at fault for not accounting for all of the kids on the route before leaving. The bus driver may also be at fault if (s)he knew or should have known there was an ongoing problem and neither dealt with it him/herself nor informed the school administrators about it. The administration is at fault for letting the bus leave before all of the kids on the route were accounted for. They are also at fault for letting a 5-year-old just walk off on his own without so much as verifying with the parent if that was OK. And the administration may be at fault if they were notified that there was an ongoing problem on the bus and did not adequately deal with it.

Of all the blame to go around here, the bullies themselves fall near the bottom if nobody has pulled them aside to tell them their behavior is unacceptable and won't be tolerated. Kids are not naturally kind to each other, especially as they get older. Kindness is a learned behavior that must constantly be taught and reinforced. If that's not happening, then the adults failed in that aspect too.
You have just neatly summarized the problem with our current culture. Everyone is to blame.... except the bullies and their parents... oh, unless we have informed the little snots that their "behavior is unacceptable." And that does not work like it used to.

My niece is a kindergarten teacher. She informed a student that his behavior was unacceptable. She got a response, "F-you,"--from a five-year-old. When the principal called his parents the mother responded, "well, the teacher must have been really rude to him for him to use such language."

We are fully immersed in a "who's fault is this?" culture. Everyone is to blame but me and mine.

Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events