Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I agree. I've also talked to many parents who simply can't afford to buy car seats. The cheapest new one is about $100. Then they are told they shouldn't buy second hand car seats because they don't know if it's been in an accident (because there could be internal fractures) or it might be expired. Then they have to buy a new carseat when their child outgrows the infant sized one. There are many parents who simply can't afford these. They might have to go a week without groceries to afford a car seat. It is a hardship.
I agree with what suzy_q2010 said. If you don't qualify for special programs, or even if you do but you don't want to go that route, you can ask for one for a group shower gift, or from one's parents, if they have the money. It's way more useful than a bunch of baby clothes the child outgrows before s/he can wear them all. A car seat that hasn't been in an accident can be passed down to the next sibling. For the older kids, a similar approach can work, group gift or even contributions to the carseat fund; parental gift or contributions to same.
There are car seat rental programs as well, such as this one:
Holy Cross Hospital Maternity Center - Car Seat Rental Program | Holy Cross Health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 12:44 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
What substitute teacher thinks it's ok for a five year old to walk home by himself? I would be at that school screaming at the principal like a psycho person! I would then be on the phone with the school board! The bus company needs to be involved too. Why is the bus driver allowing bullying? There is zero tolerance for bullying at my children's school. Kids could be expelled for it.
Why would you scream and go psycho before seeing what the school does to resolve this situation? My school district would fire the sub, the school would have teachers ride the bus,and resolve things with the bullies. No need to freak out.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Really? Well I don't hear anyone else coming up with ideas, certainly not the schools....

Except for this one:
My old district had teachers ride the bus with the kids, removed bus privileges, and changed routes. The teachers rotated bus duty. They would never send older kids with younger students. It would never happen.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
good question. do 5 year olds have good enough penmanship (or penwomanship) to forge a letter from the parent ?
Yes, some kids write the letter because some families are illiterate or can't write in English. If they write in Spanish I can find a translator, but some of the languages make it more difficult. (Russian, mandarin, Vietnamese, etc...) I would always follow up a note with a phone call for certain students.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:59 PM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
That's actually a horrible idea unless the person doing the reporting is buff enough to fend for him/herself. I had my own bullying issues to deal with back then, but I do remember one of the fastest ways to get bumped up on the ladder of targets was to even be suspected of being the "narc." If a situation happened where someone was suspected, I usually got a week's reprieve from it all. Anyone given this reporting position would last a month at most before getting tired of being shunned and bullied themselves. A real solution is if the person in the position of reporting the issues on the bus was an aide from the school, sitting in the middle area of the bus so they could keep an eye on both halves of it and no one could get away with things in the back of the bus.
I'm talking a teen narcing on five year olds for G-d's sake.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:13 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,969,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm talking a teen narcing on five year olds for G-d's sake.
And if you think that will stop the teen's classmates you're funny. To them a narc is a narc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events