Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 06:25 PM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I don't under how parents put such little kids on the bus and get mad when they're bullied. Don't put such a young child on the bus. I don't get how parents have these kids and don't plan for these things. Just as I see all sort of YOUNG kids walking to and back from school. Sometimes alone or with siblings and somethings in a bigger group. The parents are making them targets for bullies and adult deviants. I'm sure if questioned the mom will have sob story or be a single mom.
Uh, no. The proper remedy for big kids bullying little kids is to correct the errant behavior of the big kids, not to shield the little kids in their own little 5-year-old bubble. Kids of all ages need to learn how to interact appropriately with one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 07:12 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Uh, no. The proper remedy for big kids bullying little kids is to correct the errant behavior of the big kids, not to shield the little kids in their own little 5-year-old bubble. Kids of all ages need to learn how to interact appropriately with one another.
I don't even understand how a five year old is allowed on a school bus. That's young enough to still be in a car seat.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:16 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
"Allow bullying?"
Have you seen the chaos in public school?

It's no wonder so many prefer to home school their children.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:11 PM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
I don't even understand how a five year old is allowed on a school bus. That's young enough to still be in a car seat.
Have you done a comparative risk analysis of transporting young children to school on buses versus having them all transported in individual cars? If so, what were your conclusions? If not, what's your objection based on?

Old 11-12-2016, 09:28 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Five year olds have been riding on the school bus for decades now. And it's only been in recent years that a five year old is required to have a car seat. When my daughter was five she wasn't required to have one anymore.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:54 AM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Five year olds have been riding on the school bus for decades now. And it's only been in recent years that a five year old is required to have a car seat. When my daughter was five she wasn't required to have one anymore.
The extension of the requirement for car seats out of infancy and the increasing stringency of those requirements are examples of over-regulation. These requirements also show that government does not weigh the financial interest of the average person trying to pay a mortgage or rent, property taxes and other ordinary expenses. They just don't care.

Last edited by jbgusa; 11-13-2016 at 05:18 AM..

Old 11-13-2016, 10:22 AM

50,846 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
I agree with you, although I understand what the other poster is saying.

When I was growing up, we lived out in the country. It was a 50 minute ride to school every day from kindergarten right through high school. I don't remember anything bad happening in terms of bullying of me or others (although I was bullied for a year in elementary school and a year in junior high). Nowadasy, many school districts have bus monitors. In later elementary school I was allowed -- for reason -- to ride my bike to and from school, or to walk. It was a mile. A different time perhaps, but millions and millions and millions of kid survived getting to school without mommy driving them. Heck, what do people think parents do who both work, and their work hours don't usually match up with school opening and closing times.

I have always remembered something that happened in Bangkok...a city of about 10 million. One of my best friends there was an official of the national Education Ministry. We were out walking one afternoon and he pointed to 2 LITTLE kids and noted what school they went to based on their uniform. I asked if he thought we could talk with them. Of course, the conversation had to be translated, but it turned out they were in what we would call first grade, so they were about 5 or maybe 6. They said they were going home. I asked how they got home. First they took a public bus to the river (about 3 miles). Then they got on a ferry to cross the river. Then they got on another bus. Then they got on a klong (canal) boat. Then they got on another bus. Then they got on another klong boat to actually get to their house. I'm not saying we should do that, but we do -- in my view -- overly protect our kids. And sometimes I wonder if that is why they can do so little of everyday life.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:25 AM

50,846 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
"Allow bullying?"
Have you seen the chaos in public school?

It's no wonder so many prefer to home school their children.
You're making an awfully broad generalization there about the "chaos" in public schools.

I had only been a principal for a short while, and one day a meeting of middle school principals was to be held in what was considered to be about the worst high school in the school system. It was in a neighborhood where there was quite a bit of gang activity. I was quite apprehensive about even going there. But I had no choice. When I arrived there were no kids wandering the school grounds. None. When I entered the building, there were no kids wandering the halls. Everyone was in class and it was a very calm school. I know there are lots of schools not like that, but I'm just pointing out that there are MANY wonderful schools where things are going very well.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:29 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,133,121 times
Kids are rowdy on the bus because they know the driver can't watch them, it's worse now but it's always been a problem. The open seating arrangement and style of the seating is primitive, not suited for our modern & rude population. The same applies to adult seating on bus and airplanes. The locker room setup with the showers needs to change too, but that's another topic that relates to this. Seating for public transportation in general needs to be redesigned, and if done properly, it would increase the volume of users.

Think pods, cubicles, dark tinted plexiglass, sheet metal walls, cages, compartments. The kids should not be able to easily see and interact with one another on the bus. It would be nice if each seating compartment had a door, or perhaps the center of the bus have a split isle with sheet metal wall down the middle of the bus, so you can't see people sitting in front, back or to the side. Big kids on one side, little kids on the other, with assigned seating arrangement that encourages the most calmness.

Last edited by mofford; 11-13-2016 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-13-2016, 10:49 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,626 times
Quote:
Have you done a comparative risk analysis of transporting young children to school on buses versus having them all transported in individual cars? If so, what were your conclusions? If not, what's your objection based on?
My objection is that the parents can't be bothered to get their own children to school. The child obviously knows this. If not, the normal response would be "Mom, can you walk/drive me to school?". Clearly, even the child knows the parent can't be bothered to take them to school. That's the problem. An adult, the bus drive, has to be responsible for safely getting these kids to school. Now, someone has to monitor them so they're not bullying or hurting each other? Last "comparative risk analysis" children don't have to go with older unknown students when walked/driven to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events