Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 01:38 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,482,881 times

Advertisements

Supermarkets now charge 10 to 15 cents per plastic bag. They're somewhat larger and better quality (ie. appear thicker and won't break as easily). I was against this, as I reused the "single use plastic bags" anyways. I wouldn't mind this if I knew the money was actually helping the environment. I can't find any mention (don't know about others... I'm in CA) that this extra money charged will actually go towards that cause (as opposed to being pocketed by the stores). The only thing we can count on is folks will likely bring their own bags on account of just having to pay for it in the first place.

There was a mention that several thousand jobs will go away due to this, but I have no information beyond that.

Some workarounds that have brought up are to get plastic bags at restaurants, as it's the grocers and supermarkets that have to do this. They're immune to that. Which is a good thing, as if you're carrying out soup, or something that has liquids and sauces, plastic is quite essential. I'd rather not use a paper bag for that, nor use one of them cloth/reusable bags (which I hear are a pain in the neck to wash).

You can buy 5,000 count of them on Amazon for $20, which is intriguing, but I'd like to use up the reserves I've saved up first.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Supermarkets now charge 10 to 15 cents per plastic bag. They're somewhat larger and better quality (ie. appear thicker and won't break as easily). I was against this, as I reused the "single use plastic bags" anyways. I wouldn't mind this if I knew the money was actually helping the environment. I can't find any mention (don't know about others... I'm in CA) that this extra money charged will actually go towards that cause (as opposed to being pocketed by the stores). The only thing we can count on is folks will likely bring their own bags on account of just having to pay for it in the first place.
The money is helping the environment because people will either bring their reusable bags, or pay the 10 cents for a paper bag. It completely eliminates plastic bags, most of which just end up as garbage on the side of the road or in water sources, killing/injuring wildlife.

There was a prop 65, that would have set up an environmental fund for the 10 cents, instead of having the grocer keep the money,but it was shot down by voters. Although really, I don't see a problem with the stores keeping the 10 cents. They are the ones that are buying the paper bags. And I would think paper bags are more expensive then plastic, so it does help to off set their cost, instead of having to raise their prices.

I lived in San Francisco when they passed their ban on plastic bags. I didn't really see it as that big of a deal. You could still use paper bags, but we just always used the reusable bags. I now live somewhere that doesn't have such a ban, but I still use the reusable bags. They hold more, so there are less trips back and forth from the car, and they are more durable.

Quote:
There was a mention that several thousand jobs will go away due to this, but I have no information beyond that.
Part of the proposition was to set aside money to loan to these types of business so that they could convert their operations over to something else, such as creating reusable bags.

Quote:
Some workarounds that have brought up are to get plastic bags at restaurants, as it's the grocers and supermarkets that have to do this. They're immune to that. Which is a good thing, as if you're carrying out soup, or something that has liquids and sauces, plastic is quite essential. I'd rather not use a paper bag for that, nor use one of them cloth/reusable bags (which I hear are a pain in the neck to wash).
I wash my reusable bags, no problem. I don't put them in the dryer, but they're pretty dry feeling out of the washer, so I just hang them on the front door knob, and they're dry by the next time I leave the house. I don't really see why their would be a need for plastic bags, when reusable works just fine. Even for carry out items at a restaurant, why can't paper or reusable work? Most fast food places use paper bags, and so do all the Chinese restaurants around here.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:29 PM

160 posts, read 163,433 times
In Germany you to paid for plastic bags so for me is not big deal.
I bring my own bags for grocery shopping less garbage for me to throw away.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:16 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,928,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo2020 View Post
In Germany you to paid for plastic bags so for me is not big deal.
I bring my own bags for grocery shopping less garbage for me to throw away.
Aldi doesn't give away bags, even at its US stores. I believe Target gives you a discount for using a reusable one.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Aldi doesn't give away bags, even at its US stores. I believe Target gives you a discount for using a reusable one.
Yes, Target gives a 5 cent discount per bag. Other places, such as Whole Foods, allows you to either take 10 cents off your bill or donate it to one of their selected charities.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:53 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,482,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I wash my reusable bags, no problem. I don't put them in the dryer, but they're pretty dry feeling out of the washer, so I just hang them on the front door knob, and they're dry by the next time I leave the house. I don't really see why their would be a need for plastic bags, when reusable works just fine. Even for carry out items at a restaurant, why can't paper or reusable work? Most fast food places use paper bags, and so do all the Chinese restaurants around here.
Anything where there's a concern with spilling is where I'd like to use the single-use plastic bags... mouthwash in my luggage, something with a lot of sauce from a take out restaurant (and they don't have plastic containers with lids, just Styrofoam container trays), or putting bananas in a bag where at least plastic will contain the mess, but cloth or paper can leak it through.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:17 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times
It doesn't seem to affect places like CVS because they still use plastic bags, at least where I live.

The supermarkets though, they got rid of them rather quickly.

I'll have to remember to keep my cloth bags handy in the car.

Even if I forget, the 10 cents isn't a big deal to me if I have to buy one of their bags.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Anything where there's a concern with spilling is where I'd like to use the single-use plastic bags... mouthwash in my luggage, something with a lot of sauce from a take out restaurant (and they don't have plastic containers with lids, just Styrofoam container trays), or putting bananas in a bag where at least plastic will contain the mess, but cloth or paper can leak it through.
I don't think I've ever had bananas make a mess in my bag. Sounds more like an issue with where you get your produce if you have bananas leaking in your bag.

Luggage is different, since I have to put any liquids in a quart size plastic bag. Zip lock type bags are not what is being banned.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:47 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,748,556 times
Grocery stores by me are not charging for bags yet, but I'm they will be soon! It's helping the environment so I get it.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:59 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,283,209 times
I made my own rip stop nylon bags...and they wash beautifully. There are people who make them and sell them. If you're inclined, there are plenty of patterns and using rip stop there's no need to hem or double up.

Also, if you have kids tee shirts, cut off the sleeves but leave the seam, sew the bottom shut, and use a dinner plate to cut off the collar, but leave a couple of inches of the shoulders...t-shirt bag...also very washable.

I also told my grocery cashiers that my bags were washed after every use for a while...it does make them feel better. I also fold them and hand them off folded...

One of the last time I got bags from the grocery store, the checker and the bagged were ina "competition", where the bagger kept bagging till the checker was done. I walked out of the store with 12 bags and two items...and I was angry. No wonder that places prices are off the charts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events