Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:42 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I believe Tramp used the National Enquirer as a source for someone's father being involved in the JFK assassination.
Yes, the accusation was that the Rafael Cruz (father of Trump's political opponent Ted Cruz) once cavorted with accused JFK assassin Lee Harvey Oswald and hence was complicit in JFK's assassination . . . or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 01:43 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Everyone knows that those tabloid papers are for entertainment not real news... well almost everybody.

The problem today is that people are to opinionated, uneducated or just plain lazy to seek out the facts themselves. How many voted for a candidate in the recent election because a celebrity endorsed them? How many get their news from social media and base their assumptions on sound bites and what someone might have tweeted on facebook?

People today get their news from many sources from CNN to FOX, NPR to Rush Limbaugh from the Late Show to TMZ.
Most news outlets are biased, skewed and bought so it is hard to know where the truth lies and it takes time, an open mind and a big filter to decipher the truth and form an educated opinion. Most don't care to bother or to take a second look. They just believe that Jon Benet was Elvis's Love child and she was abducted by aliens.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
You mean the Incredible Frog Boy is just a fabrication?

Noooo!
As I stated multiple times in my postings, I am NOT concerned with innocuous stories that don't involve uncalled-for or unproven slander, character assassination, false accusations, et al that defame, demean, mislead, and otherwise adversely affect the body politic of our nation and of the world-at-large. Publications in the business of promoting fairy tales like the "Incredible Frog Boy" and their ilk are apparently looked upon by all persons (except the most extremely gullible amongst us) as being put forth for obvious entertainment, amusement, and titallation purposes. That is NOT what I am addressing in this thread I started.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:15 PM

325 posts, read 336,960 times
The tabloids have always been a joke, including the ads with 900 numbers and the nonsense they advertise.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Does this help answer your question?

How the Supermarket Tabloids Stay Out of Court - NYTimes.com

Old 11-30-2016, 02:32 PM

281 posts, read 327,546 times
Bat boy is fake?

Old 11-30-2016, 02:49 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
Bat boy is fake?

they posted his picture!

Old 11-30-2016, 03:00 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
As I stated multiple times in my postings, I am NOT concerned with innocuous stories that don't involve uncalled-for or unproven slander, character assassination, false accusations, et al that defame, demean, mislead, and otherwise adversely affect the body politic of our nation and of the world-at-large. Publications in the business of promoting fairy tales like the "Incredible Frog Boy" and their ilk are apparently looked upon by all persons (except the most extremely gullible amongst us) as being put forth for obvious entertainment, amusement, and titallation purposes. That is NOT what I am addressing in this thread I started.
OK, but when I saw "SUPERMARKET TABLOID INDUSTRY", the first thing that came to mind was the Incredible Frog Boy.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That is a useful, illuminating article (I read it in its entirety). Thank you, Minervah.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
OK, but when I saw "SUPERMARKET TABLOID INDUSTRY", the first thing that came to mind was the Incredible Frog Boy.

I remember years ago (around 1982) that a supermarket tabloid's front page story was that "Adolf Hitler in alive and well, living in Argentina, being kept alive by sex hormone shots and other medical methods. And he masterminded the Falkland Islands invasion by the British in 1982 and the Israel-Lebanon crisis . . ." and so on and so on with other such incredible claims. Now how would they possible know all this to be true? Hitler gave them a person interview? And they video- and audio-recorded the entire interview and took photographs as well . . . ALL of which can be vetted and investigated for credibility? In short, everyone knows (or presumably knows . . . except for the feeble-minded in the population-at-large) that THIS particular kind of material is just put forth to captivate and titallate readers (to add some excitement to their otherwise-boring lives).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events